GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who like to make changes to the look of your bike, do you prefer the chorme aftermarkent items or the painted? Road Trip Essentials was mentioned here awhile back, they do the painted parts.

http://www.roadtripessentials.com/473141.html

Can you post a picture of your bike showing the painted or chrome additions? I am sure some have both.

Thanks,

Bill in da U.P.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I've used both, painted, & chromed. It's the users choice. What I like, someone else won't. Both IMHO look good, but it has to be your choice. Good luck, with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

As a plankowner in the anti-chrome gang I can only speak for myself when I say "don't buff it, ride it and clean it after". :wink:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hey Bill,

Nice color!

Here are some pics of mine:

RTE is using my bike in their ad in the upcoming April edition of Wing World magazine:

The folks at RTE have a great product, and they are great people to deal with!

If you have any questions, or would like some more detailed photos of anything in particular, PM me.

Mike :s13:

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
I've removed most of my chrome and replaced them with painted items from Road Trip Essentials. I have replaced Valve Covers, Exhaust Protectors, Cowl, Upper Vents, Calipers, Top Cover, Engine Side Covers, 7 pc LEDs, Scuffs, and 4 pc Frame Covers and a few other goodies.

I am now in the middle of a re-do of my trunk lid & passenger backrest, along with a few changes to the front of the bike............ 8) Surprise !!

F

·
0 Posts
Hedo said:
I am now in the middle of a re-do of my trunk lid & passenger backrest, along with a few changes to the front of the bike............ 8) Surprise !!
I'd like to see your exhaust powdercoated black...

Back on thread...
Chrome looks great when it's clean. I had chrome everything on my last ride, a 2002 Honda Sabre. I grew weary of the 2-3 hour cleanup everytime I got done with a long ride. If it wasn't bugs, it was just dirt or both! Looked great clean, but was a bi-atch to keep it that way.

This was after 350 miles in a downpour:

Never again....No-Chrome #11 :lol:

·
Registered
751 Posts
painted or chrome

On my '94 1500 I went with chrome, but on my '06 I went with more painted parts and just a few parts that is chromed RTE did a very good job on the paint.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'm a painted parts kinda guy. Haven't added one bit of chrome to my 06.

Dep

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
To me, Batmans bike is purty. :D I like the painted look more than chrome. I know I am the minority on this which is OK by me.

LIMNCS

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I paint my stock ugly gray parts BLACK and I buy chrome parts and paint them BLACK. Like the boomerang covers I bought chrome and painted them BLACK.

·
Registered
162 Posts
robertcuster said:
I paint my stock ugly gray parts BLACK and I buy chrome parts and paint them BLACK. Like the boomerang covers I bought chrome and painted them BLACK.
Why would you by boomerang covers and paint them?
Why not just paint the exposed portion of the frame instead?

Wht Lightning

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
White Lightnig said:
robertcuster said:
Why would you by boomerang covers and paint them?
Why not just paint the exposed portion of the frame instead?

Wht Lightning
The frame has a ugly weld joint in it and the boomerangs cover it up. I figured the cheep way would be to buy chrome covers and paint them BLACK.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Fatfenders said:
Hedo said:
I'd like to see your exhaust powdercoated black...

Back on thread...
Chrome looks great when it's clean. I had chrome everything on my last ride, a 2002 Honda Sabre. I grew weary of the 2-3 hour cleanup everytime I got done with a long ride. If it wasn't bugs, it was just dirt or both! Looked great clean, but was a bi-atch to keep it that way.

This was after 350 miles in a downpour:

Never again....No-Chrome #11 :lol:
Hey Mike! Remember you from the ole TSG and the Hey you days. How you been? I bought a Wing but couldn't stand the thought of parting with the Sabre so kept it. I still like chrome but the painted stuff does have some merit. I think a little combo of both could look good. Later :D

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
My preference is for a few shiny chrome parts. (Especially the ones that used to be on Hedo's bike.)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
This thread must have been an omen..LOL.

I just scored off Ebay, a set of exhaust covers, painted black, for......

$76.00.

I love it when a plan comes together. :D

Dep

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have a lot of roadtrip painted parts

they are very nice, but very $$$$$

i searched for a local shop to paint the exhaust covers and the front lower cowl

they were over 75% less cost, and also saved the cost of shipping to oregon and back,

also note you dont need to buy the high priced honda paint

my 06 dark red is the same color as a 2006 gmc envoy

the gm paint was 1/6 th price of the honda paint

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
CJS said:
My preference is for a few shiny chrome parts. (Especially the ones that used to be on Hedo's bike.)

And they have that Beer Color Corona Chrome.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I prefer a mixture of both.

Having said that I took the chrome lower cowl off and had the original painted to match and have a painted front fender extension from RTE and had my lower exhaust covers painted with the cowl from a body shop.

I am now thinking of getting the chrome center stand to go with my chrome sidestand and I have chrome turndowns as well.

Just mixing things up a little. To each his own.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts