GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they don't recommend it BUT the BOSS wants our helmets to match the Hot Rod Yellow of the bike. The present color is just slightly off. Anyone have any experience with GOOD success of having a helmet painted? How about removing stickers and replacing?

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Go to Austin Extreme Graphics in Buda and have them vinyl wrap them.
They did the graphics on my mobile photo lab six years ago and it still looks as good as the day they did it.

http://www.vehiclewrapsaustintexas.com

·
Registered
498 Posts
If you like your helmet & want to save it. Tape it off and PlastiDip it. Once it's dry, paint it any color you want. If you want to go back to the original color...peal it off & you're done!

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
From the very first time man strapped on a motorcycle helmet, he has dreamed of painting it. In fact much like adding studs and patches to a leather jacket, adding a fresh coat of paint can either restore an old helmet or give an existing one a bold new customized look. For many years, auto safety experts claimed that adding paint to the fiberglass outer casing would damage it. Today, however, as long as you use the right paints and follow these steps, you can safely paint anything you want on your protective headgear.

Check Your Materials First

Despite the changes in technology, the first step in painting a motorcycle helmet involves checking the compatibility of the materials used to make the outer casing. You need to contact the manufacturer and ask them to let you know if the paints you are planning to use are compatible. If they are not, you may end up destroying the outer casing destroying its protective value.

MOH58 and jetman have the safest suggestions.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I have a feeling that this will turn into a larger project than I planned. She has always wanted some very subtle pin stripping on the bike that would flow into the Tailwind so now it appears that the helmets would have to match not only the color but also the general design. Now to the drawing board and the paycheck to figure it out.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I can't remember what forum I saw it on but a Shoei representative recommended using only 100% acrylic paint for Shoei helmets.

·
Banned
792 Posts
If you like your helmet & want to save it. Tape it off and PlastiDip it. Once it's dry, paint it any color you want. If you want to go back to the original color...peal it off & you're done!
This actually sounds like a really good idea, for other things as well. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
oops, I was not right.

Here is where I read it. It is from 2007 FWIW

http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=75718

We at Shoei North America recommend professional painters and it is always important to get the advice of a professional painter before painting your helmet, but this is what is recommended. You do not want to remove any lower vents or rubber beading on the helmet though they should be taped off to avoid getting unwanted paint on them. The helmet should also be lightly sanded just to remove the clear coat on the outer layer of the helmet. The only paint recommended on a Shoei helmet is acrylic enamel based paint. When drying the helmet do not use a high heat drying method as it may damage the protective quality of the Polystyrene liner on the inside of your helmet. Please feel free to reply with any questions-

Patrick Houlihan
Technical Advisor
Shoei Safety Helmet Corp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts