GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how cheap or expensive is it to have a trailer painted. I have never had anything painted by anyone so i have no idea.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
how cheap or expensive is it to have a trailer painted. I have never had anything painted by anyone so i have no idea.
If you have someone match color of your bike, expensive. $500-$1200
If you try it your self, it is more expensive, since you have to pay for the paints, spray guns and other materials, THEN pay the Paint shop to do it right. ;)
I did mine with White lacquer spray cans from walmart, the only place I found with lacquer paint. Came out like a show paint job, and white goes with everything!
It started out UGLY, and that is being kind...and the SC20 model name stands for Spray can 20...Took 20 cans of paint total, including Primmer, paint and clear.
About $200
BEFORE

AFTER

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I usually have Escapades painted here by a local body shop for around $500 with them buying AUTO paint. Close match but not perfect. Honda paint is pricey...

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you have someone match color of your bike, expensive. $500-$1200
If you try it your self, it is more expensive, since you have to pay for the paints, spray guns and other materials, THEN pay the Paint shop to do it right. ;)
I did mine with White lacquer spray cans from walmart, the only place I found with lacquer paint. Came out like a show paint job, and white goes with everything!
It started out UGLY, and that is being kind...and the SC20 model name stands for Spray can 20...Took 20 cans of paint total, including Primmer, paint and clear.
About $200
BEFORE

AFTER

Looks good. What brand of paint and clear coat did you use? I'm looking for a good clearcoat for mine. Did you sand it before painting?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Looks good. What brand of paint and clear coat did you use? I'm looking for a good clearcoat for mine. Did you sand it before painting?
Rust-oleum. I put the link below.

Sand, Sand, Sand. Sanding is the key to a nice finish. The original paint (well, the LAST coat) was so dirty from sitting under a tree, I COULD NOT WASH IT. It was like sand paper itself and it was embedded or infused with dirt, sap, leaf juice and bugs. It had to be painted. After getting a quote from the Auto body guy for 500 then 700...I decided it is time to do it myself.

I sanded and sanded. I found more paint underneath the silver (or gray?) and almost matched the color of my Wing! I then found the company that makes the same color in a spray can and after looking into it further, I decided to go with the Lacquer from Walmart.

this page says it is not carried in my store...but it is. I bought it there and have still seen it recently. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleum-Specialty-Laquer-Spray-Clear/17011143

I sand and sanded some more and kep finding coats and coats of paint under each coat. I ended up being able to PEEL the paint off in small sheets, right down to the FG. I sand that and sprayed with White Auto primer. I can't find the link.

I wet sanded with 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500and 2000. I spray more primer. I wet sanded again starting with the 600 this time. Once I got the primer coat smooth, I sprayed the white lacquer. the lacquer dried in 25 minutes and I could wet sand it! I started with 600 again, and wet sanded till it felt like I was rubbing a rubber glove across a wet piece of glass. more coats, more wet sanding started with 1000 or 1200 (not sure...) and when the 2000 felt like glass, I washed it, dried it and sprayed the Clear lacquer over it. Then the wet sanding again...till it looks as good as a Show car pain job. ('cept for the bugs...)

AND, I did this ALL outside, in very bad conditions. No shelter, wind blowing the paint around and bugs...I was able to sand some of them out. lol. But it looks amazing and no one knows it is spray can until I brag..I mean tell them about it! :lol:

Got some more pics.

I did find ONE can of red lacquer paint at a Home Depo up in New Rochelle while on the road one day. Only ONE can, I would have bought more if they had it. I checked several times after that and they did not have it.

I had a print shop make me a stencil and I sprayed this onto the trailer. I then sprayed the Clear over it, so it looks even.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
DAYUM...My body shop painted trailer doesn't have that type of gloss to it. You DID WELL...

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
DAYUM...My body shop painted trailer doesn't have that type of gloss to it. You DID WELL...
Thanks! It took several months due to the weather and not having a garage but if I did have a garage, I could have done it all in two weeks, after work and weekends.

And I could have done a better job with the clear coat. Very hard to see the clear coat going on over white paint! But lacquer is very forgiving and easy to sand smooth if it runs.

EDIT - KITESURFER I found the link I started when I painted the trailer. Flame winger painted his with the color rite paint and he had problems with orange peel. I am glad I chose white. Here is the link to the whole process.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254845

·
Registered
732 Posts
Looks awesome! Nice job! I have the same trailer and it was in similar condition as yours. I spent a lot of time on the frame, wheels and lights and very little time on the body itself. I took it to an auto body shop and had them spray it in a "close" to matching color for $300.
Mistake I made: I didn't prep it at all and the body shop didn't do much to it either or they would have charged me much more. I just wanted a quick job so I could get it on the road for a trip. Now I wish I had taken the time to prep it (sand, sand, sand and sand some more). The paint job looked GREAT for awhile but now it has a ton of spider cracks comming through the finish. Hind sight is indeed 20/20.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Kite,
I've had two painted and they both cost about $450.00. The color match was almost perfect with a Sherwin Williams auto paint. They use a "color camera" to match. My '06 titanium matched so close to a Mitsubishi paint chip when they layed the paint chip on my trike's fender the paint chip actually disappeared. It was amazing.
By the way, the last trailer was an Escapade Elite. I ordered the trim pieces from California Side Car and replaced all the chrome trim at the same time.
Good luck.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the replies. there are lots of choices in new stuff and all cost more than most motorcycles. i ocasionally see a used craigs list find and just wanted to know what i might be geting into.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I even sanded the metal rack. I think I started with 400 and went up to 2000 then used mother metal polish. It looks like stainless steel now.

I would love to grab another trailer and do it with no time line. How ever long it takes, it takes.
Did you clear coat the rack so it will not tarnish again??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts