GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope my question is not tremendously silly, and if it is at least mock me in funny ways :)

I'm considering buying a Goldwing and having it custom painted, and I'm wondering what kind of effort it would be.
Now, I have a friend that will do the actual painting for me, but it would be up to me to remove all the parts that need to be painted and put them back.

The Goldwing seems to be having quite a lot of such parts so I'm wondering would it be reasonable/easy to remove them and then reassemble them, or does it take the knowledge and skill of a Honda technician to do that?

Any thoughts?

thanks.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I took a gold wing apart before and put it back together. If you have ever built models when you was a kid, it's kinda like that but only a little bigger. You can use a spray can to paint your gold wing just like you do a model. You just have to be careful not to let it run or orange peel. It's all in the prep. Just make sure you fine sand everything with 800 grit paper and everything should be fine. House of Color makes some really pretty paint that will stick to ABS, so that should not be of any concern. You can order it in a spray can, or you can use your own sprayer, it's up to you... good luck.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I had mine painted earlier this year... I had to take ALL the tupperware (except the trunk body and lid) off it.
It's not physically hard, as long as you're not crippled..;)

The service manual is essential.. Some of the parts dissassembly is not particularly obvious until AFTER you're done it once. I prefer the CD for searching, then I print out the page I'm concerned with if necessary.. It helps.

Fred's DVD's are helpful, as you can actually SEE some major subassemblies removed. There are some gaps, but he does the complicated ones.

Be VERY careful with the fasterners; there are dozens. I used ziplocs and carefully labelled them with the assembly that they came with, and still ended up with a few "extras". Nothing has fallen off yet, though. The fairing is especially full of fasteners, and I took it to the paint shop in one piece. They returned it in several pieces (removed headlight assemblies and such, and THEY were careful about the fasteners).. In addition, it sometimes (as in the case of the top shelter) matters which seemingly identical fasteners go where..)

The saddlebag locking mechanisms do NOT have to be fiddled with in order to remove them. You need to disconnect the cable ends from the mechanism, but otherwise it's four or five bolts and finagle the cables out through the weather seals.

The fairing is pain in the butt. It is NOT obvious from looking at it just what holds the damned thing on the bike. But you DON'T have to disconnect the two sides from each other to do it. Look at the manual diagrams very carefully, and be VERY careful to keep track of what fasteners go where.. It will make re-assembly faster.

If you haven't taken off the lower cowl yet, be prepared to futz with THAT forever when it's time to put it back on. The angle for the bolts is very tricky to get right. You'll think you have it pointed correctly, and it just won't go in..

I spent two or three evenings taking it apart. Probably spent 4 putting it back together.

I would do it again. I'm fairly mechanically inept, and I managed it, and I'm really happy with the paint job. The only glitch with the paint came when they did the rear end. I had taped the parts to show which were to be black and which left silver, and apparently the tape shifted on the rear fender, and it didn't line up with the saddlebags, so it has to be fixed.. When you take that part to the shop, show them how the fender attaches to the saddlebag on the clips, so they can put it together before marking it, and it will line up fine.. (Assuming you have a horizontal line across the back.. :) )

It doesn't take a honda mech to this. If you have any mechanical talent at all, it's just a question of common sense, some diagrams from the manual, and LOTS of ziploc bags.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey Joe - Do you have any larger pics of your Bike? I like That paint job.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, that sound encouraging. I'm somewhat technically inclined as I've started taking stuff apart (and failing to put them back) since I was 3.

Everything you said makes sense. Manual, ziplock bags. I'm also always taking detailed photos during the removal process of pretty much anything.
Thank you.

I got one more question though about gap tolerance.
I'm thinking that 3 coats of clear wouldn't hurt so that ends up being: 1 (primer) + 2 (color) + 3 (clear) = 6 coats of paint.

I got 2 Honda cars and if there's anything I've learned about them is that part of Honda's famous quality comes from how tight together their stuff fits.

At 6 coats, can I still put it back together or do I have to consider some serious sanding to make room for those coats?

Oh, and to the people that have had their bikes painted (not the fancy super cool custom work). How much did it cost you? I'd like to know how much free work I'll end up owing the guy whose gonna do mine :))

Thanks a million.

·
Registered
552 Posts
philipx said:
At 6 coats, can I still put it back together or do I have to consider some serious sanding to make room for those coats?

Oh, and to the people that have had their bikes painted (not the fancy super cool custom work). How much did it cost you? I'd like to know how much free work I'll end up owing the guy whose gonna do mine :))
Yes all your parts will clear.

Count on an easy grand if barter value. PPG or house of color paint can range from $100 to $500 a gallon depending on how exotic the colors are.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Joe, I would like to see a larger picture of your bike as well. Or of anyone else's bike who have repainted it, especially two tone as I have always been partial to two tone bikes.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I believe that there are 42 or 47 parts that need to be painted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts