GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have considered painting my bike. It is currently dark maroon and i would like to paint it white. Is there anything special that needs to be done to the body panels. I will have a body shop paint it and will need to let them know if something is out of the ordinary. Thanks moe

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I have considered painting my bike. It is currently dark maroon and i would like to paint it white. Is there anything special that needs to be done to the body panels. I will have a body shop paint it and will need to let them know if something is out of the ordinary. Thanks moe
I stripped my 04 candy red to have RTE re-paint it two toned 08 Pearl White & Billet Silver.
Tony at RTE knew how to paint plastic as any body shop would also know these days seeing how many body panels being plastic.

Here is a thread with pictures of mine. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240490

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'm not a paint/bodywork expert, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

When my body shop does any work on plastic parts (bumpers, mirror housings, etc.) they send them out to be chemically stripped. According to them just sanding and painting is not correct and the paint will not adhere properly and will crack/peel prematurely. I believe they use a special catalyst primer as well.

I trust these guys...small Mom and Pop shop, been painting for years and have done my car along with several $$$$$ concours restorations. The owner still likes to work with lead :thumbup: but let's his kids work on the newer stuff.

It wouldn't hurt to ask about how they will perform the work and do your research...

·
Registered
927 Posts
At a minimum, it needs to be chemically cleaned of all the old wax and such. Sanding it just grinds it in, and if you've used products containing silicone, you'll have even worse problems than with simple wax.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
It's doable... I had most of my tupperware painted when I first got my Wing.. Taking it off and putting it back together pretty ensure that I'm gonna ride that bike until I die... ;) I have a good shop, though. They did an excellent job.. Not a crack or craze or ANY problems with the paint.. Auto body shop near my house.. Go to a "motorcycle painter" and you'll pay an arm and leg, for sure..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts