GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a spare Gray meter panel. I want to paint it Black. Are there any spray can products :D that I can use that are durable :twisted: enough to do a quality job. I dont have a spray gun. If I cant do this myself, I will go to the phone book and find someone locally to powder coat it, Just hoping that there is a less expensive approach.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wal-Mart........$4.95, Krylon Semi Flat black spray paint. I did it myself and it still looks like new. The key is to make sure that there is no wax or polish on the surface. Heavy duty degreaser or Prep-Sol prior to painting. You could scuff it up a bit with some Scotch Brite pad if you like, I did not.

Good Luck

·
Registered
80 Posts
Painting the grey meter panel

Go ahead and paint the panel and have the 3m rock guard (looks like scotch tape) applied. Most local car dealerships can do it or provide you with someone who can. Be sure and speak with the installer and make sure they are capable/comfortable doing the job. At my dealership we have an installer who's a magician with the stuff and he did the front of my wing and the headligts. Make sure they will not have any "seams" in it and they know how to stretch and heat the material. We install it on a lot of cars and it works great.

G

·
0 Posts
In 27 years of autobody repair I never found cans of spray paint any better than Krylon.
Krylon is great stuff, but last I knew they don't have specific factory-matched colors for Goldwings.
Any old black might look good on most Wings....I bet factory-matched black is the ticket on a BLACK Wing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
When painting, aply the first coats a bit "dry" by keeping the can not to close. This prevents the paint to react on small scores in the ABS plastic that will rice the edges of the score.
I also has the experience that the oem gray paint will react to the paint.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Tom

Tom, what do you have in the area below the handlebards. I know many have inserted the foam fillers (I tried and did not like), but it looks like you have something in there. Care to share?

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
I had mine done in urethane. Painter used an Adhesion Promoter first. I tried various paints on the back side to see what would stick. I couldn't find anything on my shelf. The adhesion promoter seems to be the trick.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nothing in there other than the factory stuff, Dave. Must be the angle of the dangle or sumthin.

·
Registered
276 Posts
jshanno1 said:
I just bought a spare Gray meter panel. I want to paint it Black. Are there any spray can products :D that I can use that are durable :twisted: enough to do a quality job. I dont have a spray gun. If I cant do this myself, I will go to the phone book and find someone locally to powder coat it, Just hoping that there is a less expensive approach.
Jay after you try the spray can approach if you are still not satisfied with the results take a look at our web page, color matched parts are what we do best. Here is a picture of the black one...

Ride safe!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
OK... while changing my air filter (MUCH easier than anticipated) I
decided to paint the meter panel. I thoroughly washed with soap and
water, then rinsed well. I then cleaned the entire thing with rubbing
alcohol. I used Krylon's Fusion paint which is meant for plastic...
the Satin Black. It looks great... but the paint adhesion stinks. You
touch it with virtually anything and it chips off.
I'm thinking of stripping that paint off, and using Bulldog Adhesion
Promoter with the same paint. Think I'll have any better luck?
I don't want the black gloss RTE type dash, but I may try the Kuryakyn
Carbon look dash too. Black just looks so much better than that gray.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'd use Krylon Satin Black with a coat of Krylon Satin Clear or Flat clear over it...used it on my small panel I made for my Delphi Sat. braket.
easy to use and can recoat at any time...drys fast

Fred

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
deucalion said:
I'd use Krylon Satin Black with a coat of Krylon Satin Clear or Flat clear over it...used it on my small panel I made for my Delphi Sat. braket.
easy to use and can recoat at any time...drys fast

Fred
What was your bracket made of and how did you prep?

·
Registered
19,050 Posts
I bought a RTE which is good as any stock painted part,with silver I get a little glare in full sun off the windshield,maybe Honda does know best.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
laen said:
I bought a RTE which is good as any stock painted part,with silver I get a little glare in full sun off the windshield,maybe Honda does know best.
That's why I like the semi-gloss or flat black. Closely matches the
rest of the cockpit and no glare.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts