GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across a video on utube a guy was running an ODB live data and came to the conclusion that the activation of this system was causing is stumble I a look in my service manual and found this page and looking at after reading how it works and looking at the diagram. The question how is the opening of this solenoid introducing fresh air into the exhaust flow? How does the line connected to the airbox overcome the vacuum of the throttle body to allow air thru it? Am I missing something in understanding how this system works?
o_O

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I ran across a video on utube a guy was running an ODB live data and came to the conclusion that the activation of this system was causing is stumble I a look in my service manual and found this page and looking at after reading how it works and looking at the diagram. The question how is the opening of this solenoid introducing fresh air into the exhaust flow? How does the line connected to the airbox overcome the vacuum of the throttle body to allow air thru it? Am I missing something in understanding how this system works?
o_O
I see this has gotten over 100 views but no responses. Does anyone see what I'm talking about, how does the PAIR system overcoming intake vacuum?

·
Registered
8,131 Posts
Maybe if you posted a link to the video people would know what you are talking about. I don't know. Also might get more feedback in the Technical board.

·
GL1800 Doctor
19,866 Posts
o_O
The heads have ports machined in them near the exhaust valves and every time an exhaust valve opens and the engine rams the exhaust out, it creates a strong vacuum in these ports, popping open a reed valve for that cylinder and sucking fresh filtered air into the stream to enable the burning of unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust. The reed valve for the cylinder slams shut to keep the engine vacuum from sucking exhaust gas back into the intake. There’s a reed valve for each cylinder mounted into the block and buried under the intake manifold. The ECM opens the solenoid for the system to get the fresh air only when you are riding at above idle conditions. Not sure at what rpm it opens, but it is related to throttle position. It‘s always closed when the throttle is closed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The heads have ports machined in them near the exhaust valves and every time an exhaust valve opens and the engine rams the exhaust out, it creates a strong vacuum in these ports, popping open a reed valve for that cylinder and sucking fresh filtered air into the stream to enable the burning of unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust. The reed valve for the cylinder slams shut to keep the engine vacuum from sucking exhaust gas back into the intake. There’s a reed valve for each cylinder mounted into the block and buried under the intake manifold. The ECM opens the solenoid for the system to get the fresh air only when you are riding at above idle conditions. Not sure at what rpm it opens, but it is related to throttle position. It‘s always closed when the throttle is closed.
Thanks for the explanation. Now I understand how the fresh air is introduced into the exhaust.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts