GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason, my Sena connects and hears directions on Waze up on the Carplay screen; but today I tried navigating with GoogleMap and could not get directions on my earphones, only on the bike's speakers...what is up wit dat?

My iphone showed Honda and Sena20 connected

·
Registered
612 Posts
Are you paired to the IPhone or motorcycle. Unpair the phone and delete it. Then pair to motorcycle and plug IPhone into motorcycle. All should work after that.

You may have to plug into motorcycle after bike boot is complete to get CarPlay to start.b

Reactions: Doug Vann

·
Registered
73 Posts
Or just turn off Bluetooth on your iPhone when riding the wing. I leave bluetooth on when riding my other bike so I can pair directly to my sena from the phone. When i take the wing out I just turn Bluetooth off on my iPhone and plug it into the cable in the cubby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, gonna try that.

...and I got another question for you Carplay Jed-I/s: Can I run Google Map on the display and run Waze on the background AT THE SAME TIME.

I can do that on my Samsung. It would be great if I can do it on this display panel as well.

I did noted that either Waze or the GoogleMap icon appear above the phone icon. Waze and Maps do not appear at the same time, or am I doing something wrong again?

Wow! and people say Apple phones are easier to use!!

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
Its so complicated even a genius can do it.

prs

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
Nando, I am not sure, so go ahead and try what you can think of; but so far as I know the firewire connection from phone to bike can do telephone stuff and audio stuff on/with the bike controls. Once my Sena 20S Evo(s) are paired to the bike and firewire connection is made with iPhone; then I can turn the iPhone Bluetooth on again as some aps need it, I think GoogleMaps is one of those.

A couple of aspirin may help.

prs

·
Registered
81 Posts
here's what I do to hook up car play. First the phone is not paired to the bike. I turn on the phone, turn on helmet, plug phone into bike and turn on bike. So far everything has paired up 90%+ of the time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ok, gonna try that.

...and I got another question for you Carplay Jed-I/s: Can I run Google Map on the display and run Waze on the background AT THE SAME TIME.

I can do that on my Samsung. It would be great if I can do it on this display panel as well.

I did noted that either Waze or the GoogleMap icon appear above the phone icon. Waze and Maps do not appear at the same time, or am I doing something wrong again?

Wow! and people say Apple phones are easier to use!!
No you can not multitask applications on car play. Must choose waze or google maps.
and if you want to hear directions via headset instead of bikes speakers press audio button the center console that will switch between headset and bikes audio.

·
Registered
612 Posts
No you can not multitask applications on car play. Must choose waze or google maps.
and if you want to hear directions via headset instead of bikes speakers press audio button the center console that will switch between headset and bikes audio.
Actually, I believe that might not correct. The latest Apple update lets me display a map, the music such as I hart radio, plus a third screen on one screen page. As far as Waze and another map source at the same? I am not sure, but, I thought I had started Waze then switched to Google map and heard Waze give me police alerts even though Waze was not the displayed map source.
I could be very mistaken about the multiple map use, but, play around and see what you can do.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
i had the bike nav running/showing on the bike, sirius satellite and waze. waze WOULD interrupt the nav and the music with police warnings through the headset. the only app i can get to show up on the carplay split screen is apple maps.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Actually, I believe that might not correct. The latest Apple update lets me display a map, the music such as I hart radio, plus a third screen on one screen page. As far as Waze and another map source at the same? I am not sure, but, I thought I had started Waze then switched to Google map and heard Waze give me police alerts even though Waze was not the displayed map source.
I could be very mistaken about the multiple map use, but, play around and see what you can do.
when i first ios13 update also i was excited that i could use split screen for the apps which i want to appear on the screen.
But unfortunately split screen only allows Apple Maps and Apple Music apps. I can not choose the apps which i want to appear on split screen.
If I'im doing something wrong and can not do it please inform me.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
make sure to press the audio button on the center console it switches between the headset speakers and the bikes speakers.

if google maps is your app of choice, run it on the bike and run waze on the phone. cant show both on the screen, as far as i know. i havent been able to make it happen. waze will cut in with warnings.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Waze runs in the background on the Iphone, not so much in Carplay exclusively.
I can start in Waze, then go through a few different maps and I hear police ahead from waze.
Same with Pandora and others

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Waze runs in the background on the Iphone, not so much in Carplay exclusively.
I can start in Waze, then go through a few different maps and I hear police ahead from waze.
Same with Pandora and others
???? i run waze on the bike's screen and its interactive

·
Registered
166 Posts
... but so far as I know the firewire connection from phone to bike can do telephone stuff and audio stuff on/with the bike controls. ...

Apple hasn't released a product with Firewire connectivity since 2012. The 2018+ Wing comes with the USB Type-A connector. Apple iPhones since the 5 use a Lightning connector. Connecting an iPhone to a 2018+ Wing requires a cable with a Lightning adapter on one end and a standard USB-A adapter on the other.

For best performance, only use cables that are certified for use with Apple products. Cables that are not certified often result in odd behavior/issues that could easily have been prevented, simply by using a certified cable.

This Apple Support article may be of interest to some: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204566

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
Apple hasn't released a product with Firewire connectivity since 2012. The 2018+ Wing comes with the USB Type-A connector. Apple iPhones since the 5 use a Lightning connector. Connecting an iPhone to a 2018+ Wing requires a cable with a Lightning adapter on one end and a standard USB-A adapter on the other.

For best performance, only use cables that are certified for use with Apple products. Cables that are not certified often result in odd behavior/issues that could easily have been prevented, simply by using a certified cable.

This Apple Support article may be of interest to some: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204566
Lightning it is then. I have the ones that fit my iPhone 7+ which is probably considered an antique by now.

prs

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My saga continue:

In spite of unpairing pairing, in spite that the cell icon shows up on the car play upper screen and my phone says that the iphone is paired to my Sena20: I cannot hear anything on the earphone from Google map nor Waze now, nor the Navi either.

However, if I just use the iphone unplugged to car play I can hear all alerts, do phone call etc through my Sena.

On another struggle: today I left work and plug my iphone and Waze came up by itself; then I made a stop and could not even get Carplay up.

Everytime I unplugged and plugged the USB to the iphone it would give a message on the bottom: Carplay cannot...because the earphones are disconnected. But in my phone and on the menu, it shows that the iphone IS flocking connected with bluetooth.

Maybe I do have to get an Apple wire. or a latter phone. I have an SE with 13.1 OS...that should work and it has work--randomly, cause I cannot tell when its gonna work and when its not.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts