GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Wingers,

What has been your experience with the Pak-It Rak? Does it hold enough gear to make it worth the price? And does it affect the handling of your bike? And are there any issues with covering up the brake lights, license plate or exhaust? Thanks for any info you can provide. I am considering buying one for a long trip to colorado next year.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Only been around a couple of them - one went home strapped to the rear seat after it broke....

C

·
0 Posts
azbob,

Any dumda can jamb and stuff and overload anything. I don't think you should be influenced by farm animal behavior. Hey IR Harry, I hope that wasn’t your brother who overloaded that Pakit Rak!!

The Pakit Rak is a great accessory for the Gold Wing manufactured by perhaps one of the finest vendor/manufacturers in the Gold Wind family. The integrity, honesty and straightforwardness of everyone I have ever met at Dixon Y are truly refreshing. Here is the link to the website: http://www.dixonymachine.com/

Fred Harmon has done an EXTENSIVE test of the Pakit Rak with his wife. There is a wealth of good information in his review. Here is that link: http://www.angelridevideos.com/reviews/pakitrak.html

Fred also did a very nice follow up to his excellent first evaluation. Here is that link: http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... b11d2a14e1

We've had ours for several years and give it an A+++ in style, versatility, strength, safety, compactness and roominess at the same time! It's really great when you need a bit more luggage space but don't want the burden of pulling a trailer.

This is just one mules opinion.

·
Registered
442 Posts
azbob
If someone boke it they must have overloaded it with maybe steelplate, I have been using one and it is great. I just put a hitch on my bike for a trailer and will order the adapter so I can use the rack when not using the trailer. My wife and I went to the Outer Banks most recent and the bike handled fine. This is a great acessory for the wing

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good Product

Had mine installed at Wing Ding Ft. Wayne, In and have traveled over 10k with no problems at all. My wife uses it and frees up all other storage for me and extras. I talked to a fellow who used his over 100k and no problems either. I'm glad they installed, a little difficult but not undoable. Have no problem with lights, exhaust or handling. Much better than a trailer. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Has easy/quick is it to put on/off? I've been thinking about one of these myself.

AZBob......Hope you don't mind me butting in with a question ofmy own.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
If someone boke it they must have overloaded it with maybe steelplate
That was a very fast indepth analysis of what happened without any research.....worth about what it cost.....

Actually, it had a couple of coats, clothes, and a cover in a AWOL bag, about 10 pounds, and all that broke was a weld on the stinger to the hitch. Could have been vibration, bad welding, but still gave up. Ten minute fix and some paint when it got home, but still, IT BROKE.

For twice the price, I guess you could have the welds X-rayed\

I don't think you should be influenced by farm animal behavior
I can't help it. Every time I hear a jackass bray, I get homesick.... :lol:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Let me recommend this for a lot less money. I have a dozen or so trips with very good sucess. It is bigger (I don't overload) but I use the bottom for cold drinks and separate with a peice of foam board and the the top for extra jacket or small bag. I love it. I mounted lights on it. even looks good I think.

http://www.alsmotorcycleaccessories.com/Index.html

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I bought mine two years ago and have used it around 20,000 miles, it is one of the best investments for my bike that I have purchaced, if packed with just cloths, it is hard to overload, and it almost doubles your cloths capacity, and does not block the lights or plate, I did put the turndowns on the exhaust, but it is not necessary. I found it easy to install and found it to be very well made, it is a five star product.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I could use a bit more luggage space ... we don't use a trailer and won't consider one at this point. A two week trip gets a tad tight in only the original saddle bags and top trunk. This looks like a good idea to me. One big question ... this area of my bike tends to get VERY DUSTY AND DIRTY on the road. I could just imagine the luggage bag covered in GRIME after a few hundred miles on the road. Comments about dirt please ...

... also ... the racks from http://www.alsmotorcycleaccessories.com/Index.html ... depend on my having a pre-existing trailer hitch, correct ???

Looks like the mount for the Palit Rac is smaller and simpler than a full blown trailer hitch, correct ???

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
cgent said:
I could use a bit more luggage space ... we don't use a trailer and won't consider one at this point. A two week trip gets a tad tight in only the original saddle bags and top trunk. This looks like a good idea to me. One big question ... this area of my bike tends to get VERY DUSTY AND DIRTY on the road. I could just imagine the luggage bag covered in GRIME after a few hundred miles on the road. Comments about dirt please ...

... also ... the racks from http://www.alsmotorcycleaccessories.com/Index.html ... depend on my having a pre-existing trailer hitch, correct ???

Looks like the mount for the Palit Rac is smaller and simpler than a full blown trailer hitch, correct ???
Yep you need the trailer hitch for Al's and the cooler can be washed down with the bike... not to worry about getting contents wet. I can not tell that I have it behind me. I suggest you get the reciever type....

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

The Boss bought me one off of E-Bay, love it works like a champ as previously mentioned by most of the fellas. We have to travel with a cooler always for meds and the like, this makes the Saturday/Sunday several hundred mile rides so easy to plan and execute. :wink:

B

·
0 Posts
We have ridden with the PakitRak on 2 wheels and 3. Never had a problem. At the motel, sometimes I take just the bag in, sometimes the pan too. On 2 wheels, I couldn't even tell it was there.

If you don't want to take a trailer, you can't beat it.

Great quality product and people.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Probably takes all of 2 minutes to attach and take back off. One of the best add ons I have purchased. Cover keeps bag from getting dirty or wet. Hides a little of the plate, but not enuf that I can imagine the mounties pulling you over. When we arrive at a hotel where we will be staying more than a quck night, just pull the rack off, and take it up to the room.

Barbara at Dixon is great to do biz. with. Highly recommend.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i didnt get one for a couple reasons

first its too small

and second, its very $$$

i went along a different line

i got a normal trailer hitch

a $78 well made cooler rack

and a nelson riggs bag that --- IS WATERPROOF --- and doesnt need some lame cover, and is about twice as large

and just for info sake, nelson riggs does make the packit bag as well

all this for a very similar price

plus i have the option of actualy pulling a trailer with my hitch,

and i have the option of hauling a cooler, or dropping a rubermaid tote on the back to haul about anything

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I Like mine. I use a pad lock instead of the hitch pin to secure it to the bike. Nicely made product, very useful. There are cheaper alternatives but I recommend the PR. If you're near Glendale, be happy to show it to you.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I like mine. I have a 2006 with a Bushtec hitch so purchased the PakIt with the adaptor for the Bushtec. The bag and rack are well designed and made, you will like them.

The adaptor for the rak to the Bushtec is another story. It looks like a chinese made device that the instructions say 'may have to be trimmed to fit.' And it does as the male portion of the adaptor is about .020 too big to fit the female portion of the Bushtec hitch. It takes a lot of grinding and filing to get it to fit then you get the pleasure of repainting to prevent corrosion. All in all, not worthy of the quality of the Rak. Might be easier to make your own adaptor.

PakIt should reconsider their sales of this as it does not meet their standards of quality.

Ed

·
Registered
13 Posts
azbob
It was one of the best things I bought for my wing, it was easy to install and now I never worry about overloading my trunk rack, I travel solo no pac, and it makes the difference on just getting by, compared to have plenty.
Ted S

1 - 20 of 31 Posts