GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like feedback on those members who have the Pakit Rak. I do not want to pull a trailer, and for those times you need more room to pack stuff this looks like a solution. Are you happy with the Pakit Rak? Does it allow you to carry that extra gear? Do you use it? How does it affect handling? Any other pertinent information would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
A little off subject but I fastened a diamond plate tool box to a hitch extension rack and it has been very satisfactory and a lot less than a Pakit-Rac. It has lights and plugs into the trailer connection. The racks are not to expensive and the tool box was I think $50.00 from Northern Tool.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Mine is not the Pakit Rak, and for the life of me I cannot remember the name of it at the moment, but guess that does not matter. It is one that slides into my trailer hitch receiver. I love using it for short trips when the trailer is not needed.
The one I do have I very much enjoy. I carry a good size ice chest on my rack full of sodas and ice. Sometimes strapping extra jackets on top. I dont even notice it is back there, but I try not to overload it.
The one thing that a rider has to be carefull about (at least here in Ca.) is not blocking off ur rear lic plate by stacking jackets or whatever to high up.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
We've had our Pakit Rak for about 3 years now and we love it.
If you already have a trailer hitch, just get a rack you can use with
that. If not, the PR is a good alternative.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I have both the Pakit-Rak luggage and the cooler set ups. The luggage can pack enough for a 3 day trip and the cooler will hold (at least) a six-pack and the ice-blocks.

I didn't notice any substantial handling differences and have never had a problem with it. Good quality workmanship and the folks at dixon-Y are easy to work with if any little problem pops up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For short trips, my wife and I can usually manage well with a saddlebag each but for longer rides the Pakit Rak is great. We pack light items in the Pakit Rak bag. It will hold more than enough. Pulling a trailer was never an option for me. I have never noticed any change in handling with this luggage system.

Eyeguy

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I bought a used Bushtec hitch from a fellow boardmember, the bag used by Pak-it-Rak from www.extragear1.com for under $100.00, and had a buddy weld a receiver and deck for$20.00. The total investment is far less than P-i-R and I am trailer ready.

Whether you use the brand name, or a knock-off, they are handy to have, and you never know they're back there. My comfort zone grew knowing that I wouldn't have to worry about adding weight. The frame mount is rated at 25 lbs, which is a lot, but the hitch mount made it more practical

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
iwing said:
Hey Jay, ask Ron Bien how well it slides along the interstate too. :shock: :lol:
Jay,
if you are still going with us to the BBQ I'll show you mine if I decide to bring it.
After a few beverages in the parking lot, I may tell the story of the optional feature built in that allows it to make a spetacular display of sparks.

(ps. I sent you an E-Mail yesterday)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Jay, met you at Bennys and the Honda Homecoming, had a great time. Like you, I do not like the idea of pulling a trailer. I have and do use my Pakit Rak. It almost added twice the space for carrying stuff and gear, as for handling no problem unless you go over the weight limit. I'm very happy with it. Heading back home from the Honda Homecoming I got caught in a bad rain storm, the Pakit Rak kept everything dry. If you do your research like I did and got the $$$, buy one. If you don't like it you can always sell on this board, it with sell fast.

Hope to see you down the road:

EZ Reiter

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info. Since I'm headed to the BBQ with RonBien and Iwing, I know I'll get to hear the story of the sliding Pakit Rak.
See you Thursday.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
the one thing that caused me to shy away from a pakit was the small size bag, and the fact its not waterproof

you need to put on a rain cover

i found a very nuce 100% waterproof bag,

its 40% larger than the pakit bag

much cheaper

needs no rain cover

and it adaptable for numerous mounts, you can even stap it on the backrest of a cruiser as well

the nelson rigg jumbo survivor bag

about $100 shipped

even a few on ebay for $90 new, with shipping

size is 11 x 16 x 22

and it will fit on the back seat of the goldwing very nicely, if you dont have a hitch rack

B

·
0 Posts
We love our Pakit-Rak. It may be expensive but sometimes you get what you pay for. It is top notch quality. I don't know if it is waterproof but it comes with a waterproof cover which also, and this is the best thing, keeps it clean. If you know how to pack and don't need to take too much you can put a weeks worth of clothes in it. We take 2 pr. of Jeans, 14 shirts, 14 pr. of socks, 14 changes of underthings and 2 swim suits. And still have room for a small blanket and travel pillow.

We never had a handling problem with it on 2 wheels and certainly don't now.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I pulled a trailer about 15 years ago. I owned it for one ride and then immediately sold it. My style of riding doesn't lend itself well to pulling a trailer. It's simply the way I enjoy motorcycles.

A little over three years ago my wife saw the Pakit Rak in the vendor area at a regional GWRRA rally. I was off buying a soda and she hunted me down to let me know that we had an appointment in three hours to have it installed. She had already plunked the money down. I went over to look at the setup and thought, "Why not?"

Since then we have put over 35K miles on the GL with the Pakit Rak on board carrying more weight than it should. I do not exagerate when I say you can't feel it back there. I am always somewhat surprised when I see the bike's shadow in profile at a stop light and notice that there is a pack on the back. It goes off and on so easy that I often throw it on just for a grocery store run. In three years there has been no need for repair for any part of the mount or the bag.

All I can say is the Pakit Rak has been our best investment for an accessory, barely edging out the GPS and Gerbing Gear. And it cost less than half the Gerbing setup and definitely less than half the cost of the GPS setup.

By the way, I haven't ridden 10 feet without the rain cover on the pack. It's so convenient and probably protects the bag from fading due to sun exposure, why bother to ride without it?

5,500 mile ride in 2004

2,000 mile ride in 2005

6,000 mile ride in 2006

·
Registered
636 Posts
I also like the Pak-It rak. I just got one. It's perfect for a weekend trip with the wife or a week or two alone.
It's the only solution that locks the bag to the bike.
Rivco's rack and bags are too large and potentially too heavy for a hitch when fully loaded and they don't lock on. The bags have to be bungee'd on.
The other bag that's mentioned doesn't lock on either. And putting something on the passenger seat makes getting in and out of the trunk difficult.
As for price, it's a lot less than a trailer.

·
Registered
645 Posts
We've had ours for most all of the 60,000 miles we have on our 04. Took it on our 30 day cross country ride this summer http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7727 and it performed flawlessly. I keep it on the bike all the time and have never had a problem with it. It's on its second cover as the first one finally started tearing from sun damage a couple of months ago. Bob and Barbara at DixonY machine are easy to work with.

Cheers!

·
Registered
211 Posts
We have a Pakit Rak also and like it. About 2 months ago I thought we needed a trailer so I found an Escapade Elite and bought it. So far it has sat in the garage in my way. Am already thinking about selling it.

As for price, it's a lot less than a trailer.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i agree that a cooler rack is not noticable while riding

i had one for my hitch on my 02 wing

i could never find a waterproof bag, and the rain covers and plastic bags, worked great some times,and not so great other times

when i sold the 02, i didnt take the hitch off, and sold the cooler rack, well of course i now found a great waterproof bag,and i am going to get a hitch again, just for a cooler rack

theres a guy on ebay that made my last one for $60 shipped, slips into the receiver,

i do like the quality of the pakit bag, my two issues were its not waterproof, and its quite small ---- much smaller than advertised

they claim over 3000 cubic inches,and in reality is closer to 2300

the nelson riggs is 3900 cubic inches, and 100% waterproof

yes the nelson riggs needs to be bungee corded to my cooler rack, which is very easy, and it has 4 d rings that if you choose to lock it , would also be quite simple

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
The Nelson-Rigg GWR 1000, which is the P-i-R bag, is 21x12x11=2,772, not counting the expandable compartments. I think it exceeds the 3,000 as advertised. But, I still use that bag on a rack that allows me to use the locking loops, and enjoy the advantages of the Rak. The bag is what makes the system, and it can be had for less $100.00

1 - 20 of 24 Posts