GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering the Pakit-Rak finally. I've looked at Fred's photos so unless there is some new info on the install, this is pretty much plug and play. I've decided further that I don't want a trailer because of its size, price and having to store it when not in use - I've got no room now.

So for those of you that have the Pakit-Rak I would value your opinions, both pros and cons.

Are you happy with the storage that it provides?

How much weight is recommended to be carried?

Is the milage of the bike greatly affected by the carrier and contents?

How was the clearance of the carrier when fully loaded while in the twisties?

How was the handling of the bike with carrier fully loaded, whether on the super slab or in the twisties?

Did the setting on the rear shock have to be increased? I'll be riding single.

How did the carrier hold up after X amount of time?

Dose it add any noticeable wear to the rear tire?

Has Honda given anyone a hard time, as with trailer hitches, about the use of the carrier?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Pakit Rack and TBag

I have a packit rack and love it. I normally ride solo, but have been lucky enough to convince my teenaged sons to ride on trips on occasions. When I am alone, I prefer the tbag on the back seat. While it does not hold as much as the Packit, it is convenient to take off when you reach your destination.

I bought the rack for when my sons come along. It was easy to install, you do not know it is behind you. If it loaded down and You are two up, then the front end is a little lighter. I added to the rear shock because of the extra weight of being two up, but not excessively. The waterproof cover is easy to put on and it keeps everything dry and clean from the road dust. It is easy to install and remove from the platform.

I have no regrets with the purchase, but would recommend you consider at least looking at a TBaqg as an option

·
15 year Member
6,755 Posts
I have one, with a bushtec hitch... it is wonderful.. It says to only load 25 lbs not because of the weight on the hitch, but any heavier and it will dramatically change the center of gravity, namely the one that keeps the front wheel on the ground, even properly loaded the front of the bike is light and you should adjust the way you ride.. anywho I stuffed mine full and it weighed in at 24 lbs... I would defenitely recommend them

I know Loren you can get a cheaper better bag, but he asked about the pak-it rac..:lol:

Matt(BCNV):doorag:

·
Registered
752 Posts
I bought the Pakit Rack four years ago and put a lot of miles on it with no problems at all. The wife and I used the Pakit Rack on 8500 mile trip last year. If you pack your bike and Pakit Rack right, you'll be sursprised at just what you can take with you and bring back.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I know that you said "those that have the pack-it rack". I have the bustec hitch and had a friend make me the rack that fits into the receiver. I take an airline carry on size suitcase. Don't even know its there. Good luck on what you decide.
Joe in Redding

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have used the Pakit-Rak for about 4 years and highly recomend it. My wife and I have traveled for 2 weeks and it has been the needed extra storage while riding 2 up on a trip. I also use it on solo trips.
I try and keep the weight at 20 lbs. and don't even know it's there. With the weight down low it will not affect the handling and the rain cover keeps everything dry.
Clyde

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I have not noticed any difference in the way the bike handles. But I go slower in the curves when my wife is with me and slower yet when the rack is loaded. I am always aware of the weight that I am carrying. All bikes are effected by weight especially if it is hanging out the back. Soon after I bought my 06 we rode the dragon with the stock suspension and 25lbs on the rack. She felt like a pig in those curves but didn't wobble or do anything scary. The first time I used the rack we made a 4k mile trip. The first week I was sure I could feel it back there, but by the second week I realized it was just my imagination. I keep my rack on all the time, carry my lunch bucket pick up groceries etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Since I already had a Bushtec hitch on the Goldwing I went with the ChrisCo Utility cargo system , then you can choose whatever bag you want for it .
The pakit- rak set up is also good ,but if you think you will ever pull a trailer go ahead and get a hitch setup.
As far as upsetting the handling of the bike if you stay within the guide lines of the product you will not have any noticeable problems. The wife and I have had ours loaded down with two up riding on some heavy twisties and didnt notice or have any problems with the additional weight back there.
Whatever setup you buy you will love the extra storage , well worth the money in my opinon, then when you get to your destination its easy to unhook and take the whole bag and platform inside .
The Pakit-Rak system is tried and true go ahead and buy it and dont look back.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have a similar product from Rivco, I notice no difference with the bag on the back. I weigh 250# and don't notice the front end getting lighter and haven't had any issues from the dealers (just had my tires changed). Mine has a 25# limit also and the added room makes traveling with the wife much easier.

·
Registered
477 Posts
How Does it mount?

Can someone explain how it mounts to the bike if you decide not to use a hitch? I have visited the website and can see the bracket, but no instructions for mounting? Do you have to drill holes on the bike to mount the bracket? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
It will come in handy. I cut some wood to make the platform a little bigger and used some bolts with large washers to mount it to the rack (The wood can be removed in a snap). I use bungee cords to strap down my overnight bag on it. I still ended up getting a Trailer. :shrug:

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
<...> Is the millage of the bike greatly affected by the carrier and contents?

Not that I could tell. When two-up, it'd be undetectable. Clearance? NO issues that I coult tell (I haven't had a chance to ride behind one to make that assessment)

How was the handling of the bike with carrier fully loaded, whether on the super slab or in the twisties?

Again, for all questions here, it'll be undetectable.

A three thousand mile ride last summer, no issues. I 've got about 5000 total, no problems.

Hope that helped.

sage said:
Can someone explain how it mounts to the bike if you decide not to use a hitch? I have visited the website and can see the bracket, but no instructions for mounting? Do you have to drill holes on the bike to mount the bracket? Thanks.
They're using the brackets and support brace for the aft end of the saddlebags; no drilling. It's quite intuitive to mount once you see it. The only part that will take some time is the modification (hole) that'll need to be made in the center fender. Mr Dremel and I had some quality time getting that hole just right; well worth the time spent, in my mind.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I have it and love it. As to all of your questions, I don't even know it's there in any respect at all. Not sure about the weight limit, but I know we put everything we want to in there with no issues at all.

But the really cool thing about it is that it's the one farkel that your wife will actually thank you for spending money on.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I know that you said "those that have the pack-it rack". I have the bustec hitch and had a friend make me the rack that fits into the receiver. I take an airline carry on size suitcase. Don't even know its there. Good luck on what you decide.
Joe in Redding
+1 about $120.00 investment for the rack and the exact bag used by P-i-R:lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Well worth it.

I can't see how we'd travel without it. About 2 cubic feet of fluffy stuff is invaluable.

We've had ours seriously overloaded (coming back from our first Ameicade... Boy did they have stuff we needed!). Normally, the 20 pound weight limit is easy to adhere to. We keep our hotel stuff in ours... clothes, cosmetics, etc. I'd like to get a Bushtec hitch to increase the weight capacity a little.

It is easy to pop off at the hotel, and you can remove the blade very easily when you get to a destination you'll stay at for a while. People's eyes kind of bug out when I come down from the hotel room with one of those hotel carts pretty much stacked full: Pak it Rak, rack bag, 2 saddlebag luggage bags, helmets, jackets, small cooler, and it all disappears into the bike.

We've had ours about 4 years and it's held up well. I did find that you need to check the bolts on the adapter once in while since they can loosen up. Never a problem, but keep an eye on them.

If you go for one, I would suggest a hitch for a little more weight capacity. Either a Bushtec or a Rivco (I will get a Bushtec) since they are the only ones that brace off the upper frame and give vertical support as well as lateral. I think the Bushtec has a 75 lb tongue weight rating, which is far more than enough. I think you will have a hard time getting more than 40 lbs in the bag, unless you are hauling batteries.

Never had a clearance problem, it wears well, and Honda has never given me a problem. I did put turndowns on my exhaust so that it wouldn't be pointing at the bag.. Yeah, that's the ticket, Honey! We needed them for the Pak-it Rak! Yeah, that's it!

I really don't feel mine back there, no matter how loaded. I keep checking shadows and reflections to make sure it's still back there. We've taken it (from NH) to Memphis, Greenville for Wing Ding, the Blue Ridge, and serveral Americades. If we didn't have one we'd be looking hard at trailers. The Rak is easy to store, inexpensive and useful. If you decide on a trailer later, you can resell it on the boards or use it when a trailer is too much. Go for it, you won't regret is.

Dave
GWBBA #9

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I am considering the Pakit-Rak finally. I've looked at Fred's photos so unless there is some new info on the install, this is pretty much plug and play. I've decided further that I don't want a trailer because of its size, price and having to store it when not in use - I've got no room now.

So for those of you that have the Pakit-Rak I would value your opinions, both pros and cons.

Is the milage of the bike greatly affected by the carrier and contents?

Has Honda given anyone a hard time, as with trailer hitches, about the use of the carrier?

Thanks in advance.
Some information from Bob Clouse, owner of Pakit Rak...

I asked:

Sent: Thursday,
May 25, 200610:35 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Pakit-Rak weight capacity

I am curious about the "Weight Capacity" of the Pak-it Rak in relation to the type of mount being used.

Is the 25lb capacity increased with the use of a trailer hitch such as the Bushtec V.2 Vertical Receiver Hitch? (In comparison to using the standard Pakit-Rak mount).

Thanks!

Bob replied:

[FONT=&quot]The type of hitch does somewhat dictate your weight capacity and our “Rak” is capable of a higher weight. I would not exceed 45 lbs. BUT you should make sure not to exceed the motorcycle manufactures weight recommendations.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bob Clouse[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dixon Y Machine, Inc.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]voice: [/FONT][FONT=&quot](707) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]678-2375[/FONT][FONT=&quot] ext.: 102[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]email: [email protected][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Bob also stressed that “ Riders should always take into account the overall weight limits and not just focus on one limit and exceed the overall limit”[/FONT].

It has been my own experience that it is difficult to put more than about 25lbs in the Pakit Rak when stuffing it full of mostly Clothing type items.

To answer all your questions:

Very Happy, It works well for Leila and I on extended weekend rides. I use a 2nd bag on the back seat when on multiple week trips and riding solo. I hook up the Bushtec trailer if Leilais coming along also on those trips, (The bags both go into the trailer with a few extra items.)

See my initial reply.

Is the mileage of the bike greatly affected by the carrier and contents?
Not at all.

There is no clearance problems of any kind.

My biggest problem was reassuring myself the bag was still back there. Pakit Rak is completely unnotiable while riding.

Yes, slightly.It just is not that much weight properly loaded.

The Pakit Rak carrier held up just fine for about two years of use. I upgraded to a Bushtec trailer hitch and found it to be much more solid in comparison, either will work fine but a true trailer hitch will give a more solid mount.

No.

No, nor do I see that it ever would.

Hope This Helps!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts