GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting a Pakit Rak for 2 up travel.
A few ?s

When not in use what needs to be done and what do you cover up?
Also there is no hardware visible when not in use, correct?

Does the bag hold appx the same as the trunk or one of the saddlebags?

Any likes/dislikes

This seems the ideal solution for somebody who does not want a trailer and the $$

Does anybody know it they go to Rally's and do onsite installs?
In the southeast?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
740 Posts
rack

I use the Rivco rack and a Nelson-Rigg bag. Same general idea as a Pac-it-rac but less $$, works fine.

Bob VanNess

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I'm considering getting a Pakit Rak for 2 up travel.
A few ?s

When not in use what needs to be done and what do you cover up?
Also there is no hardware visible when not in use, correct?

Any likes/dislikes

This seems the ideal solution for somebody who does not want a trailer and the $$

Does anybody know it they go to Rally's and do onsite installs?
In the southeast?

Thanks,

Steve
Check out this recently created thread. Lots of info on it that will be useful for you.
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202243

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
I use the Rivco rack and a Nelson-Rigg bag. Same general idea as a Pac-it-rac but less $$, works fine.

Bob VanNess
and the nelson riggs bag is WATERPROOF, the packit is not

a real hitch and a cooler rack is much more stable as well

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
When not in use what needs to be done and what do you cover up? Also there is no hardware visible when not in use, correct?
That all depends on which set-up you get. I cant tell you about the full Pakit-Rak deal, but I have a Bushtec trailer hitch with the vertical receiver. The Pakit-Rak installation for this set-up includes a receiver that connects directly to the Bushtec receiver and comes down just below the tip of the rear fender. If you remove the Pakit-Rak receiver, nothing shows.

The Nelson Riggs bag that come with it is a very high quality bag. It holds enough for two of us going away for a few days, leaving the trunk and saddlebags free for other bike stuff. I cant tell you exact capacity, but I'd guess the bag lies somewhere between the trunk and a saddlebag. You do lose a little bit of cargo space because the bag is well insulated. In fact, when not carrying gear, you can fill it with ice and use it as a cooler.

Any likes/dislikes
I took a good look at a lot of different systems, and even for the extra money, I think it's well worth the price. It's very high quality (both the rack and the bag), easy to fit to the hitch and easy to remove and install the bag.

The only thing I sort of dont like, is when I dont have the bag in the rack and walk around the back of the bike, I usually bang my shins on it..., but that's just me... :lol::lol:

If you want good quality and functionality, spend the money and get the best.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I've traveled with a Pakit Rak for about 4 years now and I love it. There
are other trailer hitch type options, as mentioned, but you can't go wrong
with the PR. I DID buy the bag as well. Not cheap, but excellent quality.
VERY stable. I inspect the bracket and the parts it's connected to on a
regular basis in the summer and I've never had a single problem or indication
of anything developing. The kit comes with a "receiver cover" type of option
that you can attach the reflector to. I bought the Rear Reflector
Replacement Light from Electrical Connections and attached that to the
cover instead of the reflector so I have the extra lighting when the PR isn't
in use. The system does have an "official" weight limit of 20-25 pounds.
I always try to keep it to 20 (that's a lot of stuff) and I've NEVER been able
to tell the load was back there.
If you're considering a trailer at all, I would go with a hitch and rack option.
If a trailer is never going to be in the picture, the PR is a great choice too.

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
I dislike adding any more weight to the bike than I have to, and this is one of the things I like about the Pakit Rak. The "receiver" that you mount to the bike weighs much less than a hitch. The bag on the Pakit Rak is also real high quality. The entire Pakit Rak system is 17 lbs including receiver, bag, and rack. I think you will have a hard time finding anything lighter. My only complaint is that I wish they made a "Pakit Rak Lite" version that was smaller and all made from aluminum.

Every pound you add to the bike for the hitch and rack take away a pound from your useful amount of carrying weight. So a 20 lb hitch (I'm guessing on a hitch weight) means that is 20 lbs less you can safely carry, and that is before you add a carrying rack or bag. I also dislike the way the bike handles and rides as you add more weight to it, and so I try to keep it as light as possible. Additionally, you have to consider the effects of having weight cantilevered off the end of the frame, and effects this has not only on handling, but on the stress it puts on the frame with regard to the potential cracking issue.

I made my own smaller aluminum tray with a smaller bag, and was able to get the weight down to around 9 lbs. If I could talk the folks at Dixion Y Machine into making an aluminum reciever hitch, I bet I could get it down to 5 lbs.

http://www.angelridevideos.com/reviews/pakitrak.html

·
Registered
54 Posts
Since I already had a Bushtec hitch on the Goldwing I went with the ChrisCo Utility cargo system , then you can choose whatever bag you want for it .
The pakit- rak set up is also good ,but if you think you will ever pull a trailer go ahead and get a hitch setup.
As far as upsetting the handling of the bike if you stay within the guide lines of the product you will not have any noticeable problems. The wife and I have had ours loaded down with two up riding on some heavy twisties and didnt notice or have any problems with the additional weight back there.
Whatever setup you buy you will love the extra storage , well worth the money in my opinion, then when you get to your destination its easy to unhook and take the whole bag and platform inside .
The Pakit-Rak system is tried and true go ahead and buy it and don't look back. As everyone else already said the nelson bag is awesome.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Additional question

I've been following both this thread and an earlier one about the Pakit Raks. I think I understand the pros and cons of each of the elements--type of hitch/receiver, type of bags, etc. What I would like to know is: For those of you that use some type of Pakit/Nelson Riggs, hitch/bracket set-up do you also have a bag on a rack on top of the trunk? We can travel for about 6 days with a Nelson Riggs bag on the trunk and was wondering if it would be feasible to have BOTH the Trunk Bag and a Pakit type down low?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I carry a light weight bag on the trunk luggage rack, with rain gear and 1/2 bike cover only. On short overnight camping trips, I carry a styrofoam cooler with ice, drinks and food on the pak-it-rak. Never had a problem. On longer trips its the pak-it-rak bag on the back with the light bag on the top.

·
Registered
608 Posts
We have the Rivco rack and bag, We also use the trunk rack and bag. Have used both on a 6000 mile trip and had no problems with them. I do stay within the limits set forth for each. light weight stuff on top and extra clothes and stuff in rack bag. Works fine for us when not camping and staying in motels:yes1:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I've been following both this thread and an earlier one about the Pakit Raks. I think I understand the pros and cons of each of the elements--type of hitch/receiver, type of bags, etc. What I would like to know is: For those of you that use some type of Pakit/Nelson Riggs, hitch/bracket set-up do you also have a bag on a rack on top of the trunk? We can travel for about 6 days with a Nelson Riggs bag on the trunk and was wondering if it would be feasible to have BOTH the Trunk Bag and a Pakit type down low?
We can.... easily. BUT, it depends on how you travel. The more I travel
on the bike, the less I take (as it was in my backpacking days).

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
What I would like to know is: For those of you that use some type of Pakit/Nelson Riggs, hitch/bracket set-up do you also have a bag on a rack on top of the trunk?
We have both the Pakit-Rak bag and one of those Kury bags on the trunk rack. Between the two, we have everything we need for a nice trip. And I dont worry about overloading the trunk rack; it'll carry a decent load without problem.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Thanks all, that answeres my questions.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
We have both the Pakit-Rak bag and one of those Kury bags on the trunk rack. Between the two, we have everything we need for a nice trip. And I dont worry about overloading the trunk rack; it'll carry a decent load without problem.
I have a couple of "Stuff Bags" that fit nicely on the Kury luggage rack. I keep my rain gear and my cold weather gear (Widder Electrics) in those bags so they are easy to access.

That is my Rev Pack Tour Pack on the backseat with my laptop lashed on top of that with a rainproof cover. The green and yellow "Stuff Bags" on the Luggage rack are also from Rev pack, excellent Motorcycle Luggage Company. (Also owners of the "Song Dog Ranch").

http://www.revpack.com/motorcycle/main.html

This is how I traveled for a little over three weeks from Los Angeles to Nashville/Tail of the Dragon and back home to L.A. I did mail a box of "Dirty Clothes" home before I headed back west, gave me some room for the Jack Daniels "Gift" bottles I picked up in Lynchburg, Tennessee at the distillery! :beer8:

·
Canuck
2,848 Posts
I have the same setup as Brian. Couldn't be happier for trips where additional storage is needed but the tent trailer is not required. Two additional things to add to what has already been said. One, the Pakit Rak has a bar that slides through meshing at the bottom of the bag. This bar locks so that the bag is somewhat safe from theft, but can easily be unlocked and released so the bag can be taken into your room at night. Two, I have a Rivco hitch and was going to buy the Rivco rack and bag rather than the Pakit Rak (the Rivco rack and bag had been recommended). But I tried the Rivco setup at Americade and felt the bag was too high. It totally covered the license plate, which could result in a ticket. The Pakit Rak also obstructs some of the view of license plate, but it's not totally hidden (see pshivers picture above).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts