GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Corky Bells Headcount

I would like to offer a suggestion for a lunch run, the nice town of Palatka. It's pretty centrally located so as not to be too far for folks both north and south of there. There's a great seafood restaurant overlooking the St Johns River called "Corky Bell's." It was formerly "Gator Landing." They have both inside and outside dining. Outside is a huge deck that could accomodate a large group. It is high on a bluff at the bend in the river and offers gorgeous views. For those coming from the Jacksonville area you can take the scenic SR13 all the way down to 207, then 207 to SR17. Corky Bell's is a couple of hundred yards west of the intersection on 17. Coming from the south it's an easy ride up SR17 or SR19. Coming from the west you can take SR100. Give it some thought. I'll be glad to check with management regarding a large group.

UPDATE 02/06/09

Spoke to the owner tonight and confirmed our reservation for April 4th. We'll get a head count when it gets a little closer to "eatin" time and adjust the reservation up or down as necessary. Right now it stands at 40ish. She also said she would have us a reserved and roped off area up front for parking.

Update 03-18-09

Just over two weeks away, let's get a head count as soon as possible. I need to tell the manager the group size for determining how much of the deck we'll need plus the size of the reserved parking space.

RCWing 2
FireEater 2
Danl 2
BigPat 1
DrKeds 2

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I would like to offer a suggestion for a lunch run, the nice town of Palatka. It's pretty centrally located so as not to be too far for folks both north and south of there. There's a great seafood restaurant overlooking the St Johns River called "Corky Bell's." It was formerly "Gator Landing." They have both inside and outside dining. Outside is a huge deck that could accomodate a large group. It is high on a bluff at the bend in the river and offers gorgeous views. For those coming from the Jacksonville area you can take the scenic SR13 all the way down to 207, then 207 to SR17. Corky Bell's is a couple of hundred yards west of the intersection on 17. Coming from the south it's an easy ride up SR17 or SR19. Coming from the west you can take SR100. Give it some thought. I'll be glad to check with management regarding a large group.

Look for this sign...

Expect this view from one of the decks....

And, might I suggest the stuffed flounder......

Oh, yeah I can do Corky Bells @ Gator Landing again, and again!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Sounds like a good one, might be the same place Silver Meteor has been telling me about.

Set up a date.....hopefully I can make it.

Wayne

·
Registered
359 Posts
If you all make it a 1PM lunch, some of us long distance riders may come join you. :eat1:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I've passed this place many times and never stopped in. I see a lot of bikes there all the time. Pick a date and throw it out to the board and see what goes. Look at the schedule and work around the lunch runs all ready lined up. I'm up for any lunch run just about anywhere in the state.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Might ask is (1) they will make reservations and (2) if so, ask for the decks. The 2 on the left side will probably seat 50? Not sure about the deck on the right side. If they'll reserve, I'd ask for all the deck seating if enough intrest is shown. Food is great, many choices and pricing very reasonable there.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll call them today and check on group reservations. Looks like Roger is part of their advertising campaign, great pictures of the deck area. My wife and I went there last Saturday for our anniversary and it was great as usual.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Sounds GREAT!! I'm in!

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I talked to the manager this morning and she said that the deck could be reserved for basically any size group. Just as an approximate figure I tossed out the number 40. She said it was no problem to adjust it up or down with a little notice. As it stands she's penciled in Saturday the 4th of April at 1pm. If we get a consensus we'll let it stand. Here's the catch, if forty people had the deck reserved and the weather turned to crap, they could not suddenly accomodate them inside. My feelings are, who would want to ride 100+ miles in the rain and eat outside anyway? We would just reschedule if that day was less than nice.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I talked to the manager this morning and she said that the deck could be reserved for basically any size group. Just as an approximate figure I tossed out the number 40. She said it was no problem to adjust it up or down with a little notice. As it stands she's penciled in Saturday the 4th of April at 1pm. If we get a consensus we'll let it stand. Here's the catch, if forty people had the deck reserved and the weather turned to crap, they could not suddenly accomodate them inside. My feelings are, who would want to ride 100+ miles in the rain and eat outside anyway? We would just reschedule if that day was less than nice.

...Lord willing, 2 here!

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Add one beautiful lady and one old grouch

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Table for 2, please..., depending on whether or not the date is firm....

:eat2::eat2:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I'm in and will add it to the schedule.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've eaten at Gator Landing so I'm in, hoping the food is as good as under the previous owners. On second thought, it makes me wonder why they changed hands.

Either way, count me in. There's some great roads around there, too.

Can you post the actual address? I'll dump it into the GPS as I'm coming from Ft. Lauderdale.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've eaten at Gator Landing so I'm in, hoping the food is as good as under the previous owners. On second thought, it makes me wonder why they changed hands.

Either way, count me in. There's some great roads around there, too.

Can you post the actual address? I'll dump it into the GPS as I'm coming from Ft. Lauderdale.
Corky Bell's was the original seafood restaurant in Palatka and in the same location at Crystal Cove for decades. My observation and experience says Gator Landing couldn't compete with Corky Bell's. I talked to the manager/owner about why they had moved (taken over) Gator Landing. She said it was because they were leasing the building at Crystal Cove and it was falling into disrepair, plus the owner didn't want to make any improvements. The food is the excellent Corky Bell's cuisine like it's always been.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Yes, please post the address! This sounds like another good one! Can't wait! Wish we had a lunch this Saturday! I am so sick of being sick and in the house! I think it's time to ride, ride, ride! Anyone feel like lunch at the Wild Turkey this Saturday??

1 - 20 of 54 Posts