GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Twin Falls Idaho, with my new to me, 05 1800 on an open trailer headed to Lake Havasu area. Have managed to stay ahead of the cold front for 2 days from British Columbia. I wasn't ever expecting temperatures to drop this low. It is cold here tonight and snowing, 25 ish F, expected to drop significantly. What temp will the coolant handle? It is 11pm now so can't do anything till morning but temperature is not expected to drop till later Thursday. Maybe a GoldBook guy from this area to store bike while I wait for temp to rise?? or I was planning to continue on to Vegas tommorow to get warmer, although, Vegas is expecting 1 to 3" snow too. Help!! I think coolant will be ok but don't know. Any suggestions. Please reply to my email.

[email protected]

·
Registered
370 Posts
Stop at an auto parts store and get an antifreeze tester,a very usefull tool and not expensive,then you will know for sure.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
It just might be wise to check your anti freeze to make sure what mixture
you have in your bike... especially if you are the second owner...better be safe than sorry....

cosmic

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
gopdebeek said:
I'm in Twin Falls Idaho, with my new to me, 05 1800 on an open trailer headed to Lake Havasu area. Have managed to stay ahead of the cold front for 2 days from British Columbia. I wasn't ever expecting temperatures to drop this low. It is cold here tonight and snowing, 25 ish F, expected to drop significantly. What temp will the coolant handle? It is 11pm now so can't do anything till morning but temperature is not expected to drop till later Thursday. Maybe a GoldBook guy from this area to store bike while I wait for temp to rise?? or I was planning to continue on to Vegas tommorow to get warmer, although, Vegas is expecting 1 to 3" snow too. Help!! I think coolant will be ok but don't know. Any suggestions. Please reply to my email.

[email protected]
I have a heated garage in Bountiful,Utah.
You are welcome to store your wing as long as you want.
I live 10 miles north of Salt Lake City.

PM me for more info :D
later..Randy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Better Safe than Sorry!

Since you are not the original owner of the bike, it would behoove you to do two things.

First, as suggested up the page here, purchase an inexpensive Anti-Freeze Tester to check the current mix.

Second, drain, flush, and replace your coolant with the appropriate mix. I use 50/50 Dexcool & Distilled Water, but yourmix will depend on whatever temperature extreme you might anticipate.

I live in Virginia, halfway between Washington, DC and Richmond, VA. The coldest it's been here since I've owned Gold Wings was about -10 degrees F., and the 50/50 mix works just fine.

·
Registered
264 Posts
gopdebeek, you brought the cold with you!!!!!! High in Havasu is supposed to be 48 degrees F. and a low of 31 degrees F. this Saturday!
Drive safe & enjoy your stay in Havasu!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts