GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, if I wanted to wear better protection to and from work, what type of pants are out there to go over jeans or dockers?
I wear jeans most of the time because they are a little thicker than Dockers. I have looked on the web, but I give. I don't really want to change at work and although I have chaps, it's just too darn hot most of the year in Houston to wear them.
I know that there is someone out in the land of wingers that has a product selectiion.;)

thanks in advance

· Registered
5,759 Posts
I think jeans are it for the warm weather. If it was colder you would want chaps. I am retired and i wear shorts alot. I know everyone is going to say something about that. I just cant see wearing leathers during the summer. I guess i will take my chances. There are alot of things to wear for protection, but not over your pants. You can change after you get to work i guess.

· Registered
2013 Red GW
5,937 Posts
Tourmaster Venture pants are somewhat easy to get on and off with the zippers that go all the way up past your knee. With the liner it's a lot harder to get them on with boot on. The liner is waterproof but would be hot in the summer.

· Registered
1,939 Posts
Pants over Jeans

I also wear jeans to work, this past summer I wore the Olympia Air Glide 2 pants. They worked out very well, even when the temps got over a 100*. They are actually cooler than just wearing jeans. The jeans will get hot real quick out in the sun, when the overpants insulate out the heat. The side zippers come up much higher than my Tourmaster pants and are a lot easier to put on/take off with boots on.

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/mensairglidepant/menairglidepant.htm

· Registered
24,623 Posts
I live in South Carolina, it gets hot here, and stays hot. Three months of summer it will hit right at 95 degrees and some day it will climb up to 107 degrees.

I used to wear chaps, in my Harley days, but what exactly do they protect? Certainly not your butt!!

You might try something like this. ICON Men's ARC Mesh Motorcycle Pants - Stealth - ICON Riding Apparel - CBXManMotorcycles.com I do not have these mine are made by Scorpion, and there are many choices to choose from.

I have some of these also. Draggin Jeans But they are just about if not more so hot as chaps.

In hot weather everything is hot. Even the mesh pants as shown above are hot in the summer. It is because you sit on a bike with a windshield and a fairing. So you do not get the air flow like you do on a cruiser or other bike. They do work well on a cruiser as it is open.

I have tried many things, never really found any solution except shorts and tennis shoes. :lol: I do wear the mesh pants. Too me awhile to just decide to, and stick to it. Sometimes I still just wear jeans. On a real hot day I have also been known to put my jacket and helmet in the trunk too. And tie a wet head wrap on my head, and wet down my t-shirt. Sitting behind the windshield and fairing, when it is really hot, not much of anything is a solution.

Kit

· Registered
9,099 Posts
Try the Olympia Air Glides. If its really hot, pull off the jeans and put them in the trunk, and just wear the Olympias with no liner. If its cool, leave the jeans under the Olympias. If its cold, put the liners in and wear all three. I prefer the Olympias - better made, looooong zippers (to the belt line) and the liner will shed water if its raining. Crossed the US with those plus a rain suit.

Also got a pair of Tourmaster Jean pants, but the short zipper is a real pain in the backside. Boots have to come off, and same is true of their liners.

· Registered
2,224 Posts
I have to wear Dockers to work and when I ride to work (March through October) I wear the FirstGear HT overpants. They are not mesh, but until the temps get above 90 they work fine for my 30 mile commute. The HT come with a removable liner, but I only use it when it is below 40.

· Registered
260 Posts
I have the Field Sheer 4-season mesh pants in SILVER (see pic below). I wear them over shorts, dockers, jeans, and even dress pants. They zip all the way up to the hip and are easy to get on/off. They work great, and actually reflect some of the heat coming off the cylinder heads. Try to stay away from black - IT ABSORBS HEAT!!! The silver pants, along with a white/silver mesh jacket and an open windshield vent keep me pretty comfortable in the summer heat.

The above pants also have a quilted waterproof liner, although I've notice some seepage in the crotch area (keep the comments to yourselves :duck:). One of the best investments we've made :yes1:

· Registered
148 Posts
I wear Joe Rocket Ballistic,works great over any pants,great protection from cold and rain. Hope I don't ever find out about contact with the road!!!

· Registered
4,127 Posts
I'll echo the others experience with Olympia Airglides. I wear dress slacks and suits to work. I just pull the Airglides right over top of my dress slacks/suit pants. The Airglides provide me the additional protection (armor and more abrasion resistant material) I'm looking for AND they keep my dress slack clean from the road grime/brake dust that shows up so easily on my lighter colored slacks.

In the summer, on my return trip to home, I remove my slacks and just wear the Airglides. Makes for a very cool ride home while still affording me good protection.

The zip out liner can be used in the winter and is wind/water proof and VERY warm.

Both the liner AND the outer shell have cuff to hip zippers making it VERY easy to put on and take off the Airglide pants even with my Sidi Typhoon boots on.

· Registered
305 Posts
Dadwood,

I too live in the Houston area and I have had luck with the Tourmaster Venture Air pants. Mesh pants, zip in liner for rain and a thermal liner, great protection and zippers that go up past mid thigh make getting them on and off a breeze . I think you can't go wrong with a pair of overpants such as these. I can't say for sure what brand my next pair will be but they will be similar. I have a pair of good chaps but they are too hot for all but the coldest days and protect everything but the part I will probably be sliding on if I go down - my butt!! Check out the various brands and get yourself a good pair of mesh air overpants with the zippers that run up the length of your leg and you won't be sorry.

Mike

· Registered
3,696 Posts
I've seen a lot of younger folks going around with their jeans (way) down below their hips. It must be cool(er) because so many of them are doing it. Hope this helps!

· Registered
786 Posts
I'll echo the others experience with Olympia Airglides. I wear dress slacks and suits to work. I just pull the Airglides right over top of my dress slacks/suit pants. The Airglides provide me the additional protection (armor and more abrasion resistant material) I'm looking for AND they keep my dress slack clean from the road grime/brake dust that shows up so easily on my lighter colored slacks.

In the summer, on my return trip to home, I remove my slacks and just wear the Airglides. Makes for a very cool ride home while still affording me good protection.

The zip out liner can be used in the winter and is wind/water proof and VERY warm.

Both the liner AND the outer shell have cuff to hip zippers making it VERY easy to put on and take off the Airglide pants even with my Sidi Typhoon boots on.

I have the Airglide II jacket and am considering the pants also. Olympia told me (email from the owner) that a new GT jacket liner will be coming out in February where the waterproof shell will separate from the insulation! This GT liner will be available separately ($75 I think he said) and will fit the Airglide. The same will be happening to the pants, but not until 2010 he said.

Will be great being able to wear the waterproof/windproof liner only with the outer jacket/pants

Just FYI

· Registered
1,988 Posts
I wear the First Gear HT Mesh overpants. The liner is water and wind proof and is easy to put in and remove. It's not insulated, but in Houston, that shouldn't be a problem for you. I'm on my second pair of these, and love 'em. They easily go over whatever kind of work pants you choose to wear. I really like the FG products for their comfort, fit, and quality of workmanship.

· Registered
21,709 Posts
I have the Airglide II jacket and am considering the pants also. Olympia told me (email from the owner) that a new GT jacket liner will be coming out in February where the waterproof shell will separate from the insulation! This GT liner will be available separately ($75 I think he said) and will fit the Airglide. The same will be happening to the pants, but not until 2010 he said.

Will be great being able to wear the waterproof/windproof liner only with the outer jacket/pants

Just FYI
well that is very good news ! thanks

· Registered
466 Posts
I wear JR Alter Ego riding pants. I found the cotton jeans absorbed too much moisture, were warmer than the JRs, and didn't offer anywhere as good protection. I find the riding pants cool, comfortable, and washable.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.