GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard regular paper towels have wood fibers that will scratch plexiglass. I have used baby diapers but they are bulky. Does anyone make paper towels that won't scratch windshields?

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Microfiber cloths are small and very efficient on cleaning windshields.
I have not had or heard of any adverse effects.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Walmart, microfiber towels. Cheap and fold up nicely.

A

·
0 Posts
Microfiber is the way to go. Also available at any auto parts chain like AutoZone, etc. When they get dirty just toss them in the washer and they're good as new again.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Paper towels are made of wood. Would you take a tree branch and wipe your windshield. That's what you do with a paper towel. Get yourself an old clean "T" shirt and us that. NEVER, repeat, NEVER use it dry. I soak a towel, cloth, in water and set it on the windshield for a few minites to get any stuck on bugs or what ever, then rinse the loose stuff off. Then wipe it clean. I usually put a coat of colinate wax on the shield a couple of times a year and it makes the crud come off a whole lot easier. :doorag:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Micro fiber is the best. I was using a Tshirt and was told not to do that anymore. The microfiber allows the dirt, dust, and other stuff to get away from the windshield, the tshirt will just hang on to the dirt and as you wipe the shield you are rubbing the dirt up and down on the surface being cleaned.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Microfiber is the way to go. Also available at any auto parts chain like AutoZone, etc. When they get dirty just toss them in the washer and they're good as new again.

Just don't wash them with regular towels. Don't as me how I know. :nojoke:

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
All paper towels are made from wood. I would never use them on glasses, or plastic wind, or face sheilds.Paper towels will put very fine scratches on plastic.
I worked in the paper industry for 38 yrs.
Mick

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
geeze, for the price of micro fibre towels, they are worth it. you can even get them in a dollar store if necessary

·
Registered
408 Posts
The Harley store is good for something more than T-shirts. They do know how to clean their bikes. Go to the Harley store and get the package of white soft cloths. Its $3.95 for a pack of 25 that open out to about 2 foot square. They are easy to carry and toss them when they get dirty.

·
Registered
99 Posts
agree about paper towels make scratches, I had a brain fart this morning, and was cleaning my sunglasses with a paper towel while I was watching the news. Sure enough, held them up to look and see if they were clean enough, scratches galore. Tossed them in to garbage, headed to store and got another pair. Bought a pair of transition lenses, I liked them today. But was a $50 mistake for the paper towel accident. :roll:

·
Registered
340 Posts
towles

I agree with the micro fiber. I was once told to also only rub up/down and never sideways or in circles. If any scratchs do happen, it does not affect sight if up/down but very visable if sideways or circles. my shield is still good after 3 yrs and 70000 miles

·
Registered
452 Posts
I just bought a pack of 36 micro fiber towels from Costco also. They work great. Having worn glasses all my life, I've known never to use paper towels or tissue paper on the lenses.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Also read somewheres that when you wash the micro fiber towels don't use fabric softener, some how it makes them less efficient. Maybe it coats the fibers?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Also read somewheres that when you wash the micro fiber towels don't use fabric softener, some how it makes them less efficient. Maybe it coats the fibers?
Iheard this about towels and softener - makes them less absorbent -

1 - 20 of 30 Posts