GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today on the way to work I was stopped in traffic behind a van with a liscense plate trim piece thing that had "Marine Mom" on it. She also had a Marine sticker you see so often on her back glass.

It got me to thinking (since I have a 19 and 20 year old sons...not in the armed forces) how proud that mom must be, and all parents of soldiers must be, to have raised up children that want to serve their country.
How the parents all across this great country have raised children that have the courage, guts, and mental toughness to want to go stick their neck out for freedom and protecting our way of life.....the American dream! Think about the dangers they knew they could be and are subject too. It's war and it's dangerous and deadly!

So I just wanted to say to those parents how proud and thankful I am to each of you for your commitment to family values, freedom and patriotism, and the American way. Thank you parents for raising OUR soldiers to serve all citizens. Thank you soldiers for your courage.

God bless you parents.
God bless your soldiers.
God bless this great country.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Proud

Just so you know, training for war can be just as dangerous. Many soldiers, Marines, airmen, and sailors are killed or disabled every year while training.

There loss and sacrifice is just as honorable.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I will second that motion !

·
Registered
373 Posts
Casey, my 20 year old son is stationed at Fort Hood, TX and will most likely head to Iraq next year for his first time over. He was home for the first time since boot last week. The Army has had a profound effect on that young man. I never thought of him as a warrior and I had my doubts but the Army is preparing him. His mom worries all the time. Thanks for the kind words.

Scott

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
BigLaw said:
Casey, my 20 year old son is stationed at Fort Hood, TX and will most likely head to Iraq next year for his first time over. He was home for the first time since boot last week. The Army has had a profound effect on that young man. I never thought of him as a warrior and I had my doubts but the Army is preparing him. His mom worries all the time. Thanks for the kind words.

Scott
Scott we thank and your wife for the service to our country. God Bless you and your son.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Having served myself, that's nice to hear. Many times some feel unappreciated.

I have a feeling with the N Korean issue hat the draft may have to start again, they are already recalling troops from the inactive reserve

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
We just found out yesterday, that my Air Force Daughter has received her orders for Baghdad, effective 12 January.

This sucks for us. Colleen has done her time over there on 4 occasions already.

Let the freaking Rag Heads blow themselves up. Then we can just send money and not troops.

I don't like the Law of Averages on this one. Colleen has come home safely 4 times. I would take her place in a NY minute.

Stop the craziness, in the name of politics and economics.

I feel as though this family has done it's share. :Lord help the man that criticises our Military, especially when they have not served, nor have a Loved one that has served.

Sad Dawg

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Thanks for the thought Steve. I appreciate it and so do our kids. I also am starting to feel like Bulldog. My kid has been in the mid east 4 times, 2 combat tours and two special missions. While he doesn't mind and even wants to go, it does drive parents nuts. However, in his unit training is almost as dangerous as the real thing. almost, but not quite. The Army has been a wonderful experience for my son in that he has grown, and does appreciate the important things much more now than ever before.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Bulldog said:
. . . . . Then we can just send money and not troops.
I don't like the Law of Averages on this one. . . . . . .
It would appear that more and more people every day are calling for a re-think on the whole situation.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
American Soldiers

STEVE S,
Thank You & God Bless 'em all.
Bulldog, as one who served in an unpopular war, i understand your frustration. Only history will tell if this was the correct course of action,but until then let us all supoort our troops, & welcome them home when the job is done.
They deserve no less, for they are indeed Heros.
the hobo
U.S. Army '65-'68
Patriot Guard Rider

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I have two sons and two daughter in law in the military and each has served at lease one tour in Iraq one is to go back for the 5Th time. Like Hobo I served in a unpopular war I will always support and respect our military men and women. A man could not be prouder of his sons and daughters in law than I am. God bless all our troops and lets us get the job done, but do it right

·
Registered
780 Posts
Thanks Steve, My daughter just got out of Iraq a month ago. She is in the Marines and yes I am very proud of her but I have to admitt that I worried about her safety. She is in Okinawa Japan right now and hopefully be able to come home for the Holidays.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My son-in-law, Chad, just returned from Iraq (marines) and we are thankful for his safe return. My son, Brandon, (army) is stationed in Ft. Irwin California. He is preparing to go to Iraq sometime early next year, and we pray for his safe return. We are all very proud of them both.

·
Registered
703 Posts
For all of you that have a son or daughter serving, thank you so much from the depth of my heart.

So that you don't miss what I'm going to say, let me tell you I served 20+ years during the Viet Nam era. I know what it's like and how we felt returning from a war based on terrible political agendas.

Ok, I believe that everyone has the right to believe and ultimately say what they believe. Unpopular as this war on terror is becoming and how our sons and daughters who have served in the Middle East more than once, I have very mixed feeling on how we criticize the war. First, terrorism is here to stay; it is not going away. Therefore our sons and daughters will be sacrificing more and more. Some may say, "I'm very critical of how the war is handled, politically." I'm afraid that as this war continues, our sons and daughters "feel" the criticism and the next thing that happens is the "spitting-on" of our sons and daughters as they return from the war, just like our Viet Nam heros. If you think I'm wrong, just wait and see.

So how do we as a nation criticize the war? Write, write, and write some more. Tell the President and your representatives your concerns. When you bitch in an open forum, the mis-directed media amplifies what has been said and the next step is the troops begin feeling the heat. Next, you have a frenzy of people that have never served and would never consider serving capitalizing on the media's "correct" information.

Consider this. Have you watched the movie, "North Country?" There is a scene late in the movie where a daughter is addressing "her union" brotheren, one of which is her father. He has been very critical of her filing a sexual harassment case against the company she and her father work for. You just can't imagine what this girl has endured and she is justified in the harrassment charge. As she addresses the union members, she continues to be harrassed there in front of her father. Finally, his eyes are opened and realizes his daighter is right. He now must make amends and denounce his union brothers for the mistake he has made.

Now relate this with our open critizism of the war on terror. Our sons and daughters will be the recipients of that "open critizism." We will have again a generation that will need to apoligize for their miss directed - critical attitude of the war on terror. Remember, it's here to stay. Who will serve and who do we honor?

By the way, I expect feed back from varying view points. I hope you understand what I'm trying to convey with my limited writing ability. This I stand firm on, I will do whatever I need to do to keep our freedom and the freedoms endowed from our fore-fathers and our maker. My son serves in the Air Force and if he dies serving my country, I would send another, and another. Our freedom depends on our sacrifices.

Remember the movie "Braveheart?" It's FREEDOM!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Well said,Patriot, & understood @ least by me.
This thread should probably & quite likely be moved to the OTB.
Thank you for your service & that of your family.
Dave,the hobo,Cassidy

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Steve, thanks for the heartfelt post.

My son, Steven, is a Marine and is heading for Iraq at the first of the year.
We are proud of him and the stand he has taken.

Of course, as parents, we will worry until he gets home safely. I don't know how you parents who have multiple children in the services do it. You have my greatest respect, as does your sons and daughter.

Bulldog, my heart goes out to you. To have to send your daughter back a 5th time is truly heart rending. I keep a prayer list and she will be added to it and will stay on it until she comes home safely.

Thank you and your family for your sacrifices.

To all service folks whether active or retired, this country owes you so much. God bless you all.

Dep

·
Registered
597 Posts
My daughter just turned 20 last month in Bagdad (sp). She's been there for just over a month and is attached to the 502 MI battalion. She's Army Reserve, but volunteered for Iraq. The Army trained her in computers, but over there she's a driver and gunner. I pray everynight for her and all the other sevice men and women. God bless them, and God bless America.
Joe

·
Registered
906 Posts
Parents of soliders

All I can say is thank you parents of soldiers. If it were not for your children we all might be under a different government. I am a Viet Nam era vet and know exactly what you are going through. My preyers are with all of your children and tell them all thank you for fighting for our freedom and for keeping us safe. God bless them all.

Joe

·
Registered
178 Posts
My 20 year old...soon to be 21...is in the Army right now. I am very proud of his accomplishments thus far.
A big way to say thanks and show respect for the troops is to join the Patroit Guard Riders. You don't have to be for the war or against it...just respect the ones who serve. It's free and it's for motorcycle riders...cages too.
Thank you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts