GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removed the rear wheel to fit a new tyre to other day and checked the park brake pads while i was in there and found the outer pad had gone Metal on Metal no big deal no disc damage remove the caliper and then found the real problem Both slides were sized all most solid dismantled cleaned and degreased the slides which had NO lube on them from the factory new pads i had in stock adjusted and back on the road.

SO CHECK THE CALIPER SLIDES PEOPLE :)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
might be a good idea to adjust parking brake cable properly and release when riding too. lol Good news is that you will get better gas mileage. Glad you didn't have damage to rotor

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Removed the rear wheel to fit a new tyre to other day and checked the park brake pads while i was in there and found the outer pad had gone Metal on Metal no big deal no disc damage remove the caliper and then found the real problem Both slides were sized all most solid dismantled cleaned and degreased the slides which had NO lube on them from the factory new pads i had in stock adjusted and back on the road.

SO CHECK THE CALIPER SLIDES PEOPLE :) View attachment 377109
EDITED

·
Registered
17,033 Posts
I will check next tire change. When lubing the slids make sure you use brakes parts lube that will stay put and not leak onto your rotor or pads.

prs

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow it is true everyone on here is an EGGSPERT ! Park brake has been ridden on twice in 50'000 Klms and not more 100 metres or so and yes it was all adjusted properly by using a mix of Honda and Fred Hamon's instructions :eek::eek::eek:

The drag marks on the pad are from and caused by the SIZED caliper slides and are now very happy with a very generous coating of a Ceramic based lube made primarily for this exact job :):)

And the Fact that i have owned and operated my own mechanical repair business Cars & Motorcycles and Panel repair shop for the past 42 years Yeah I Think I Know What i'm DOING :censored::censored::censored:

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
Whooo dude, NO ONE is putting you down, for being able to fix a brake problem, in fact it's just the opposite , all the posts were saying good job!!! (with some very important recommenations)

Ronnie

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hard to really tell but it looks like the pad had very lil' depth to it to start with. But I guess that's all it needs to serve it's intended purpose.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Been a long time since I rode a m/c with cables. A 71' BSA to be exact.
might be a good idea to adjust brake cable properly and release when riding too. lol Good news is that you will get better gas mileage. Glad you didn't have damage to disk.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I don't have 42 years experience as a mechanic but I can tell when my brakes are dragging. (hint - when you let up on the throttle and the bike slows down quickly without applying the brakes or downshifting, your parking brake may need attention).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hats off to the O.P. I decided to check my park brake caliper today and discovered the same issue. That being a lack of grease on the slide pins.

My 2019 bike has only 9300km and the park brake is correctly adjusted and I've never ridden off with the park brake set. Yet, as you can see, the inside pad is about 25% worn down while the outer one is unmolested (not even worn flat).

Downunder wing, you didn't deserve the numerous posts saying you didn't adjust the brake or had ridden with it engaged. In fact those folks could do well to check their own bikes instead of being so quick on the keyboard.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,033 Posts
I agree that checking that little caliper is good idea for us all. Evidently, that one pad tends to drag all the time as delivered. Time will tell if servicing the slides will change that.

A video from Mr. Harmon on the subject would be a good addition to his Vimeo series. How to reset the cable to get slack, how to remove cable from caliper, the removal of the caliper and opening the halves, removal of old pads, servicing of the slides, and install of new pads and install of caliper with adjustment of cable and caliper adjuster. Including part numbers and brake parts lube suggestion. How about it Fred?

prs

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hats off to the O.P. I decided to check my park brake caliper today and discovered the same issue. That being a lack of grease on the slide pins.

My 2019 bike has only 9300km and the park brake is correctly adjusted and I've never ridden off with the park brake set. Yet, as you can see, the inside pad is about 25% worn down while the outer one is unmolested (not even worn flat).

Downunder wing, you didn't deserve the numerous posts saying you didn't adjust the brake or had ridden with it engaged. In fact those folks could do well to check their own bikes instead of being so quick on the keyboard.
Like i said mate everyone is an expert :eek: :eek: If you need pads they have them in stock at most AMX Stores :) :)

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts