GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
I got one it works ok. Belly pan makes it hard to slide under. If you watch the video you see how easy it is to pull back, but the truth is watch the castors, the hard part is getting the castors to reverse direction, they already have the castors postion for the pull out. A good product, I find it easier to get up if I park it on a small board.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I wonder how difficult it would be to get the bike off of the center stand when you're ready to ride.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have three bikes in a single car garage.

So... I have two of these and they work great. I have a third jack stand with wheels that is specific to my Roadstar (no center stand). So all three bikes are "moveable".

They take a bit of getting used to (bike on and off)...but they really make it easy to get the bikes into spots where you just couldn't use regular methods thus saving floor space.

I have enough room to easily store two bikes and have one in the center of garage to work on in complete comfort.

They make it really easy to move the bikes around to get out the one you want to ride that day without having to wheel them all out and back into the garage.

They are durable and will hold the weight.

The biggest thing to keep in mind is that they operate on close tolerances to the garage floor. So if you have an irregular surface, they may hang up and catch high spots. Most poured slabs should be fine.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I got one it works ok. Belly pan makes it hard to slide under. If you watch the video you see how easy it is to pull back, but the truth is watch the castors, the hard part is getting the castors to reverse direction, they already have the castors postion for the pull out. A good product, I find it easier to get up if I park it on a small board.
Thank you for that. Real-world experiences like yours are better than any manufacturers review. :bow:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Park n Move

Looks pretty good, but.... no way in heck would I use the spoiler to move the wing around, just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you watch the video you see how easy it is to pull back, but the truth is watch the castors, the hard part is getting the castors to reverse direction, they already have the castors postion for the pull out. A good product, I find it easier to get up if I park it on a small board.
I bought one and here are my experiences. At the time I had to share my garage space with my son's truck while he was in Afghanistan. So space was limited. I always like to turn the bike towards the light of the open garage to get the best light while detailing. You can get the GW up on the P-N-M without using 3/4" boards, but it is so much easier if you do. I use a board for each wheel and a little section for the side stand while positioning the P-N-M. To get the bike on, the instructions state to leave the castor brakes off and position the castors to get ready for a forward movement of the P-N-M while the center stand finds a place to rest. Being anal, I like the feet of the bike's center-stand to be in a perfect location centered on the P-N-M. So I apply the castor brakes to get the bike on right where I want it every time.

Don't be fooled by the video on how easy it is to move the GW around. If the castors are not aligned in the direction needed for the movement you want, you can accidentally slide the center-stand feet towards the edge of the P-N-M or even off of it if you pull too hard. The front wheel is heavy on the ground while moving the bike. So if you don't have the room to allow wide turns, it can be a pain. Pushing down on the open trunk takes the weight off of the front wheel for easier & tighter turns. But I found this to also be a pain and I didn't like the sound of the trunk's creeking plastic from forcing it downwards.

I eventually purchased a second P-N-M with the plan to place it under the front wheel. I tried it with the 2nd P-N-M under the front wheel and experienced the front wheel just rolls right off of it. Then I tried it with rubber bands holding in the front brake lever. This worked much better, but the front wheel eventually still slid off the P-N-M.

Not accepting failure (and having too much free time on my hands) I got out some scrap 2x4s and my chop saw and started making spacer boards for against the sides of the tires and angled wedges to stop the roll off. I also used some scrap 1/2 pipe with hitch pins to go through the side boards which holds the wedges.

Now while the GW is up on both P-N-Ms I can sit on my wheeled mechanics stool and easily rotate the bike in very tight 360 degree turns without any problem at all. I know, a very high cost and a lot of effort to make a system just to have an easy time moving the bike around. Like I said, too much free time on my hands. But it works wonderful.

Edit: I also own a PittBull lift which would basically do the same thing. But it's so huge, I don't like all that PittBull jack & metal in my way while I'm detailing. I only use the PittBull to remove the wheels.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I've got one and it makes life alot easier being able to get all the cars in the garage and the bike too. I use it every day and I like it alot. The P&M in the video is the older model. The newer one does not have the nuts on top of the unit so clearance issues with the mufflers, belly pan are no longer an issue. Caution to anyone that might have a garage floor that is not level/flat or one that has a rough finish. It is NOT as easy as it appears in the video. Also beware of any small pebbles, trash or anything that can stop the casters! It will stop the caster and on two occassions, the wing came off of the center stand. Both times I came very close to dropping it!!! The first time it would have been into the drivers door of my wifes car. I also put 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood under the rear wheel to give me the added clearance and make it a bit easier to put up on the center stand.
This is a very well built unit and the company www.legalspeeding.com has been very responsive to answering any questions I've had.
J

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I always use mine when I park the Wing in my garage. To prevent the centerstand from collapsing once the P-N-M is under the Wing, I attach a pull-type tie down (not ratchet type) from the centerstand to the left engine guard.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Park n move for sale

I no longer have a place to use my park n move. It is in like new condition. $125 plus shipping from MASS or pickup Dave

·
Registered
75 Posts
Park-n-Move Problem

I am weird I guess. I have no problem putting my bike on the mover or moving it around. I ~DO~ however have a problem getting it off ! I lock the wheels and all I do is slide trying to get off the darn thing ! I sit on the bike an rock like I'm on a 50cent pony ride at Wal-Mart and I can't get it off ! I have tightend the wheel nuts to the point where I amost cant lock them without a hammer, and STILL can't get off. The wheels on this thing embed almost every small grain of sand or pebble, and I don't see a way around this. Does anybody else have this probelm ?????

·
Registered
165 Posts
I ~DO~ however have a problem getting it off ! I lock the wheels and all I do is slide trying to get off the darn thing ! I sit on the bike an rock like I'm on a 50cent pony ride at Wal-Mart and I can't get it off ! I have tightend the wheel nuts to the point where I amost cant lock them without a hammer, and STILL can't get off. The wheels on this thing embed almost every small grain of sand or pebble, and I don't see a way around this. Does anybody else have this probelm ?????
Since you mentioned that you do NOT have any problems moving the bike around while perched on the P-N-M, when you are ready to remove the bike off the P-N-M try this:

Roll the bike & P-N-M in a sideways direction just far enough so all four P-N-M wheels are now facing either the left or right side of the bike. Lock the P-N-M wheels. Now when you use forward motion to remove the bike from the P-N-M, the P-N-M wheels are much less likely to slide in the direction you are forcing. This is how I do it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I built something similar

I welded a similar type of roller using scrap iron. The GW has a heavy nose so I think a 2nd dolly is in order. The bike is just to big to hang on the back and try to push it around.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I am weird I guess. I have no problem putting my bike on the mover or moving it around. I ~DO~ however have a problem getting it off ! I lock the wheels and all I do is slide trying to get off the darn thing ! I sit on the bike an rock like I'm on a 50cent pony ride at Wal-Mart and I can't get it off ! I have tightend the wheel nuts to the point where I amost cant lock them without a hammer, and STILL can't get off. The wheels on this thing embed almost every small grain of sand or pebble, and I don't see a way around this. Does anybody else have this probelm ?????
I know what you're talking about but try this: When getting off the PNM put your left foot half on the ground and half on the arm on the center stand. Just try to keep the center stand where it is and rock the bike off like on normal ground. I also have two pieces of 3/4" plywood glued together to help with clearance when it comes off the PNM so its easier to remove from under the bike. Its not perfect but I've been using mine now for 2 years and love it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Is it patented?

I Bought the first model of the park-n-move before they started shipping.
The center ridge hit on my 1800's center stand, only 2 casters locked and it bottomed out on a apparently flat floor.
After my dad's bike came off the center stand while changing the back tire, I always ratchet strap the center stand to to crash bar to keep the bike up.

I was sick of the problems the original had and my dad wanted one for christmas, so I bought some 250# casters for $40.00 and Welded some 3/8" scrap metal into my new and improved Park-n-move.

The Pad is smaller 4" (next one will be 3") eliminating the flex causing bottoming out, and if there are cracks in the floor, I can always put fender washers in between the caster and the steel.

I have since found locking casters, but the best way I have found to take the bike off the stand is to put a 1/4" piece of steel across the bike in front of the casters. I put my feet on it and just push the bike off the stand like normal.

I don't want to be accused of stealing their idea so I have been looking, but I can't find that it is patented anywhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I don't want to be accused of stealing their idea so I have been looking, but I can't find that it is patented anywhere.

Doesn't matter unless you start building them and selling them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts