GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I am looking for info on spring weather conditions for Parke county, I am planning a covered bridge ride there and want to go after every thing has turned green and the temps warm back up. I was considering late May but thought I would give a shout out to some locals. Thanks for any feedback, Stanley.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Late May can be a crap shoot in central Indiana. It could be nice or it could be cool. According to a web page I just looked at, the experts claim average temps as hige of 76 and low of 53. I know this doesn't help much...

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had looked up the average temp ranges for the year, I am great with temps in the 70's but will be everything budded back out. I know here that all the leaves will be back out and flowers will be in bloom. Not sure if May is a real rainy month or not. Also would be great for any feedback on the areas around were the covered bridges are located, nice roads etc.
The broacher I have shows brides around Rockville, Montezuma, Bridgeton, Mansfield areas.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback, looks like I am planning on Memorial day weekend, staying in Brazil and riding out from there. Really looking forward to it and was surprised there are only two people in that part of Indiana. Hopefully everything is green and blooming. Thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
After the first of June is when it seems a switch is thrown and the weather stays more consistent. It must have something to do with the 500. I live in Putnam County which is just east of Parke. We have some nice roads and have 7 covered bridges along with all of the ones in Parke. Be careful about which bridge you go to because some are on gravel roads. Go to www.coveredbridges.com and click on the map. They even have pre-planned routes if all else fails. Give me a shout when you plan on coming up here maybe we can show you around.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After the first of June is when it seems a switch is thrown and the weather stays more consistent. It must have something to do with the 500. I live in Putnam County which is just east of Parke. We have some nice roads and have 7 covered bridges along with all of the ones in Parke. Be careful about which bridge you go to because some are on gravel roads. Go to www.coveredbridges.com and click on the map. They even have pre-planned routes if all else fails. Give me a shout when you plan on coming up here maybe we can show you around.
Thanks BD, I know with most trips it is hard to try and plan, never know about the weather. We had picked up a brochure and saw were there were some gravel roads and will probably stay away from them. i don't mind cooler weather ( actually prefer it to the heat ) but I really like to see everything green. Thank you for your generous offer and I may give you a shout when we get there.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Come in June as others have said. That will give the weather time to level out some, most of the farmers will be done planting, it's still too early for harvest traffic, and the road crews will have had time to salvage some of the roads. And speaking of roads in Parke County, many are gravel, even many of the roads on the bridge routes. Do yourself a favor and stay home during the Bridge Festival in October, too many tourists who cannot drive. We lived next door in Vermillion County for 38 years, and always tried to avoid Parke County during the festival.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Park County Ride in May & Indy 500

Come for Memorial Day and ride Park County and then go to the Indy 500 on the Memorial Day weekend. You can g on line and get tickets for as little as $50 in a great area. High 70's everything is green, green and green! Park your bike at a bus area and ride the bus into the race. Easy n and out. Bus area near I-70 and I-465.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well we made it up to see the covered bridges and so far have not been disappointed. The weather has worked well and temps have been good. I now know what people are talking about when they say the roads have to be fixed after the winter, we have been on a couple that we could not go more than a snails pace because of all the holes and with a trike it makes it harder to miss some. Had to ride out some gravel rodes that I wanted to avoid but over all it has been great. Going to go look at some more today, hopefully better rodes, but some of the brides are amazing, especially for those of us that have never seen them. :thumbup:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Parke Co

Glad you made it. Try the 36 saloon in Rockville. Good place to eat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts