GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Driveway slopes downhill not much but to much to push the bike back up it and to long that I don't want to use reverse all the time. So what I do is pull up and drift back into the driveway.

Now the problem I have is if it is at night there is no lite in the driveway. I had been looking for some way that I could lite up the back of the bike to see when I am backing up at night.

The other week I was looking at the back of my 2008 and noticed the turn signal lens is clear but uses a amber bulb. So I got some sockets for a third brake lite bulb. They look like the ones that use a 194 bulb but the wires come out the back at a 45 degree angle. Today I had a few minutes after completing the honeydo so I pulled the one lens off the bike and proceeded to grind a hole in the back for the socket to fit. Fits nice and snug and with the larger bulb they both fit without touching.

Now to do the other side and wire it up to a switch, If anyone wants to see what the finished product looks like just holler and I will take some pics and some at night to show how well it lites up. I am anxious to get it done.

Teddyb3
aka Dan

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Would have been much easier to put a light with a photo cell on the house or the garage.
Kurt:thumbup:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would have been much easier to put a light with a photo cell on the house or the garage.
Kurt:thumbup:
There have been other times I could have used some lite in the rear of the bike also. Besides I like to tinker. :lol:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Got a trailer hitch? If so, replace the ball with a backup light (or a flood light), and run a wire to a lit switch up front.

Make it bright enough, and you could really get to the cages on your bumper.....

·
Registered
603 Posts
Actually, I think I would like to see a photo. I sometimes backup in places OTHER than my driveway, so a photocell wouldn't be much help.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Dan,,Wouldn't have been a whole lot easier to just tape your 5 cell mag light onto the top of your helmet :joke::joke:
I know you have one,, every good ford mechanic has one....

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dan,,Wouldn't have been a whole lot easier to just tape your 5 cell mag light onto the top of your helmet :joke::joke:
I know you have one,, every good ford mechanic has one....

Actually everyone is going with the smaller 3 cell led lights. Much smaller and brighter for under the dash work.

Teddyb3
aka Dan

A

·
0 Posts
I like the back-up light idea. Perhaps hook up a relay to the reverse light on the dash to light the back-up bulbs?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts