GL1800Riders Forums banner

Parking brake again?

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Pigeon Roost 
#1 ·
When I got the bike in September 2018, the parking brake did not work.
I took it back to the dealer and they adjusted it. I believe they adjusted it at the wheel and not the cable.
At around 2,000 miles it was needing adjustment again, so I went step by step by the manual and adjusted it.
The cable was off by over 1/2 inch. I corrected that and got the brake adjusted correctly.
Now I have 10,000 miles on the bike and the brake was not holding again so I thought I would check it.
The cable was out of range by at least 3/8 of an inch.
So I adjusted that and now at about 5 clicks the brake holds.
I didn't want to make it any tighter so I did not make the adjustment at the caliper.
Why would the cable be stretching so much?

#2 ·
I do not know why the cable stretches so often, but it must be typical as I have adjusted mine 3 times by 10,000 miles and I have not driven with it left on, just used it to hold bike parked on slope.

prs

#3 ·
Do you have to use the brake on the DCT? I would avoid if possible if I owned one. I never use one in a car/truck unless absolutely necessary, as those cable parking brakes are crap from 1927 Model A Ford in design and reliability.

#4 ·
I use the parking brake to keep the bike from rolling not to overcome 100+ ft.lbs. of torque. I don’t believe the parking brake was ever intended to overcome the engine torque. It is intended to keep the bike in place....unpowered. Yes Honda should have inhibited the bike from going into gear with the parking brake on. Fortunately it is a relatively easy and low cost fix to inhibit the bike from going into gear with the brake on.

#10 ·
I use my parking brake about once a month; so no stretching at this time.
I doubt seriously that I have applied the brake more than 20 times since new, but the cable stretches. I have not driven against or applied engine torque to the brake and if one does that, the pads would be stressed or worn, but would/should have no effect on the cable's length. I believe Fred hit the nail on the head.

prs

#6 ·
The 2018+ DCT is not like an automatic transmission on a car........it will roll when in neutral as there is no "park" like a vehicle to hold it in place.

All it takes is one tip over and I bet you'll change your mind on using the parking brake.

Think you parked on level ground, high winds, messing in the trunk and inadvertently pushing bike forward slightly, etc.....
All can easily cause the bike to jump forward and crash on it's side.

Good luck to all, but I'm using the parking brake as much as possible.

JMHO...

#13 ·
I've adjusted my parking brake twice now in over 9500 miles and it needs to be done again. I'm out of adjustment at the cable so I'm going to do it back at the wheel this time. It does seem like this cable stretches more than it should be doing so...

#15 ·
Hmmmm. They should be adjusted together. Maybe in your case, you can set the cable back toward mid-adjustment, set the length of the lever pivot to bracket and then re-set the brake shoe clearance. Might be a deal where you go back and forth a bit. I am not sure this is true, so report back if you try.

prs

#16 ·
I checked mine. Firm brake at 6 clicks. I checked the 42mm distance and it was spot on. I then reset the caliper adjuster and it took about 30 degrees rotation to firmly set the brake. I backed it off checking every little bit of counter rotation and got free movement of wheel at about 15 degrees from where I started. Firm brake at 4 clicks. So my cable had not stretched after all.

prs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.