GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be ordering a CSC Cobra XL kit next week and was wondering about a parking brake. For those of you that have it, do you use it? For those that don't have one, do you wish that you had one? Would you go for a single wheel brake or the dual brake? I don't want to use reverse as a brake because of the damage that may occur. If parking on an incline would 1st gear be enough to hold it? Since the brakes are still linked, would a strap on the front brake be a viable option? T.I.A. Dave

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I just had my wing triked last fall so I've not gotten much of a chance to ride...
I've got the parking brake and use it if the area where I'm parked isn't level. If it is level, then I just use first gear. It's kind of a PITA to release the parking brake on a Roadsmith trike. Its located under the right passenger floorboard. You have to flip up the floorboard and really bend over to get to the handle. Maybe if I lost about 60 lbs it would be easier. :shrug:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
The other day I deliberately parked on a steep incline, left it in gear and got off and pushed and tugged. It is not going anywhere.

A velcro strip to lock the front brake is a tactic used for a long time by some who live and park on steep inclines all the time. That came about as if on a two wheeler you do not let the slack out of the drive line and let the bike roll back against the mechanics of the bike it was possible for it to roll forward and fold the kickstand. So the strap idea has been used for some time by some.

I suppose a parking brake would be nice, time to time, you will have to make that choice, depending on mostly where you ride and the cost of such an addition for infrequent use.

A very steep incline would be a consideration, just as a 30 degree slope on a two wheeler is always bad, so for the most part one learns to recognize that which might be bad and just park elsewhere.

So far some incline is an advantage, do not have to use reverse, just let it roll back.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
parking brake

I just triked my bike with a Roadsmith HTS kit and chose not to get the brake, but mostly because I didn't want to chop a hole in the nice new fiberglass body I just park it in 1st gear. It is was a crazy steep place, I'd find a rock for that one time.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I have it and its one of the best options I choose, for me.

I bought it when I had issues parking on a steep incline and don't like using the reverse gear to lock it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
No parking brake

I had my 2010 triked with the CSC XL last May and I opted not to spend the extra money for the parking brake and have not dreaded that decision. I have parked on some steep inclines with the trailer behind me and used first gear only with no problems. Two options I am very glad I spent the extra money on is the performance brakes and the auxiliary fuel tank.

·
Registered
47 Posts
CSC Parking Brake

I have the dual parking brake on my CSC and I use it all the time. It is reassuring to know the bike is not going to move when parked! Also comes in handy when you want to start & idle the engine. Also could be used as an emergency back as it is completely separate from the main braking system.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ordered the CSC Cobra XL with the dual park brake. Kit comes in next week. Just in time too. Went to Hill country last week and have no tread left on the tires. Can’t hardly wait to get some miles on it.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Congratulations!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts