GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had any problem with e parking brake on a 2018 DCT? I converted with a motor trike conversion and the brake won’t hold the trike so I had to use rocks to block the wheels or park a certain way. Does this bike have the capability to go into “ park” like a car?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
NO, there is NO PARK. There is ONLY neutral and drive.

I suggest you contact Motor Trike and ask them. Unless yours is the first 2018 they converted.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Have you checked (or had the parking brake checked) to see if it's adjusted properly? The brake on my wife's Goldwing was loose enough to be ineffective but a simple adjustment by the dealer fixed that issue, Don't know anything about a 2018 trike, so I'm assuming the parking brake is connected the same as it would be before the conversion to a trike.

Transmission remains in neutral when turned off so there isn't a "park" mode.

Reactions: Art H.

·
Registered
455 Posts
NO, there is NO PARK. There is ONLY neutral and drive.

I suggest you contact Motor Trike and ask them. Unless yours is the first 2018 they converted.
I’ve got a 2018 DCT w/Roadsmith Trike Conversion. Parking brake works the same as it does with two wheels.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
Most Honda dealers would decline a PARKING BRAKE adjustment because your trike is a unauthorized modification. I can see the engine being under warranty maybe. Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your responses. I have learned that the parking brake on the Honda bike is small and the pads are very thin so people are having to replace the pads at a cost of 40-50 dollars. The motor trike conversion added some weight which did not help an already defective brake. Apparently motor trike is working on a solution. I see the problem as Honda should have designed a “park” into the automatic DCT transmission so a new owner didn’t have to rely on a defective parking brake and then rocks behind the tires to hold the bike or trike on a slope. Has anyone heard of Honda working on this for their 2020 models ??

·
Registered
795 Posts
Learned something new - I read the owner's manual :)

Thank you for your responses. I have learned that the parking brake on the Honda bike is small and the pads are very thin so people are having to replace the pads at a cost of 40-50 dollars. The motor trike conversion added some weight which did not help an already defective brake. Apparently motor trike is working on a solution. I see the problem as Honda should have designed a “park” into the automatic DCT transmission so a new owner didn’t have to rely on a defective parking brake and then rocks behind the tires to hold the bike or trike on a slope. Has anyone heard of Honda working on this for their 2020 models ??
I love to admonish folks for not reading their owner's manuals. I'm just as guilty as everybody else.

However, I learned something new when contemplating the OP's issue.

I was reminded that for '18-'19 DCT Wings, to CORRECTLY engage the parking brake, the owner's manual states, (FIRST) "Squeeze the front brake lever and (THEN) pull the parking brake lever back to lock the rear wheel", p.60.

For the few times I've used the parking brake, I've just pulled up on the handle. Now, I know I have to squeeze the brake lever first and hold it while pulling the brake handle.

I need to follow my own advice. RTM :)

Tim

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Then you wrap a Velcro strap around the brake handle . . . done deal! No need for the lever pull, right?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I see the problem as Honda should have designed a “park” into the automatic DCT transmission so a new owner didn’t have to rely on a defective parking brake and then rocks behind the tires to hold the bike or trike on a slope.
So YOU take a perfectly good 2-wheel motorcycle that works as designed, CONVERT it to a trike, and then claim it's Honda's fault for not putting a "park" gear into the DCT and claim the parking brake is faulty. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I love to admonish folks for not reading their owner's manuals. I'm just as guilty as everybody else.

However, I learned something new when contemplating the OP's issue.

I was reminded that for '18-'19 DCT Wings, to CORRECTLY engage the parking brake, the owner's manual states, (FIRST) "Squeeze the front brake lever and (THEN) pull the parking brake lever back to lock the rear wheel", p.60.

For the few times I've used the parking brake, I've just pulled up on the handle. Now, I know I have to squeeze the brake lever first and hold it while pulling the brake handle.

I need to follow my own advice. RTM :)

Tim
I have a dumb question, what does the front brake have to do with the parking brake ? , I did read that in the manual,however when I just pull the park brake it seems to work fine.
Thanks
PBR

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have a dumb question, what does the front brake have to do with the parking brake ? , I did read that in the manual,however when I just pull the park brake it seems to work fine.
Thanks
PBR
Gold Wing brakes are linked.

Applying the 'front' brake lever activates some of the front brake pistons AND some of the rear brake pistons.

Converesely, applying the rear brake pedal engages some of the rear brake pistons AND some of the front brake pistons.

Applying the front AND rear brakes uses ALL the brakes' pistons front and rear.

Therefore, logic would be that applying and holding the front brake lever forces some of the rear brake pads against the rear disc, which is required for the parking brake to work correctly when you pull up the parking brake handle.

At least, that's how I figure it.

Tim

(Edited Aug 10, 2019)

My speculation stated above is wrong. Please see INTHEWIND's Post #16 below for the correct description on the Wing's parking brake and linked front/rear hydraulic brake mechanism. Tim

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yes, I knew the brakes were linked , but I didn't think it had anything to do with the rear park brake caliper.
Thanks for your response.
PBR

·
Chard Member
13,055 Posts
Yes, I knew the brakes were linked , but I didn't think it had anything to do with the rear park brake caliper.

Thanks for your response.

PBR

I thought the ebrake was a separate assembly. Also thought it was mechanical and not hydraulic. I’ve never looked at one in real life but thought I saw it in a parts diagram.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
If they are somehow using the Honda parking brake (which clamps the rear brake disk, same as the main rear brake caliper does) then they need to learn how to adjust it. Cable adjustment at top, and brake pad adjustment at the caliper.
I know, it sounds like that's the same, but it's not.

I suspect many of the replacements are on bikes that did not have both adjustments performed.

Properly adjusted, there will never be slipping between the pads and disk -- so they should never wear out. (Service brakes do wear out, since when slowing a vehicle the brake pads slip on the disks)

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Im not speculating on how it works, I know how it works.

They are 2 separate systems, front and rear brakes are hydraulic , parking brake is cable operated.

Maybe Honda wants the operator to use the front brake so the bike doesn't roll while engaging the parking brake.
The park brake is not even remotely connected to the hydraulic brake system.:smile2:
The OP mentioned the pads are thin, not so, unless he had the parking brake engaged and had been riding with it on for a few miles and wore the pads down.:crying:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Im not speculating on how it works, I know how it works.

They are 2 separate systems, front and rear brakes are hydraulic , parking brake is cable operated.

Maybe Honda wants the operator to use the front brake so the bike doesn't roll while engaging the parking brake.
The park brake is not even remotely connected to the hydraulic brake system.:smile2:
The OP mentioned the pads are thin, not so, unless he had the parking brake engaged and had been riding with it on for a few miles and wore the pads down.:crying:
Thanks for clarifying how the parking brake system works. I hereby officially withdraw my previous post where I mistakenly speculated the reason the owner's manual states the operator should hold the brake lever then pull up the hand brake. Curious requirement given the mechanical parking brake and hydraulic linked front/rear brake are independent systems.

I will try to edit my previous post. I hate it when people post 'information' that is wrong.

Tim

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks for clarifying how the parking brake system works. I hereby officially withdraw my previous post where I mistakenly speculated the reason the owner's manual states the operator should hold the brake lever then pull up the hand brake. Curious requirement given the mechanical parking brake and hydraulic linked front/rear brake are independent systems.

I will try to edit my previous post. I hate it when people post 'information' that is wrong.

Tim
Come on people!! A 3 year old could adjust the parking brake!! Takes a 10mm box wrench and 2 fingers!!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Takes a 10mm box wrench and 2 fingers!!
Yeah, but that's just the pads. For the cable length you have other options; two 8mm open end wrenches, one 8mm and a pair of pliers, a couple small adjustable wrenches, etc.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Yeah, but that's just the pads. For the cable length you have other options; two 8mm open end wrenches, one 8mm and a pair of pliers, a couple small adjustable wrenches, etc.
That is correct! Once both are done properly, setting the parking brake absolutely LOCKS the bike in place! :grin2:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts