GL1800Riders Forums banner

Parking Brake

4K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Farmguy 
#1 ·
Has anybody had any problem with e parking brake on a 2018 DCT? I converted with a motor trike conversion and the brake won’t hold the trike so I had to use rocks to block the wheels or park a certain way. Does this bike have the capability to go into “ park” like a car?

#2 ·
NO, there is NO PARK. There is ONLY neutral and drive.

I suggest you contact Motor Trike and ask them. Unless yours is the first 2018 they converted.

#3 ·
Have you checked (or had the parking brake checked) to see if it's adjusted properly? The brake on my wife's Goldwing was loose enough to be ineffective but a simple adjustment by the dealer fixed that issue, Don't know anything about a 2018 trike, so I'm assuming the parking brake is connected the same as it would be before the conversion to a trike.

Transmission remains in neutral when turned off so there isn't a "park" mode.

#5 ·
Most Honda dealers would decline a PARKING BRAKE adjustment because your trike is a unauthorized modification. I can see the engine being under warranty maybe. Good luck

#6 ·
Thank you for your responses. I have learned that the parking brake on the Honda bike is small and the pads are very thin so people are having to replace the pads at a cost of 40-50 dollars. The motor trike conversion added some weight which did not help an already defective brake. Apparently motor trike is working on a solution. I see the problem as Honda should have designed a “park” into the automatic DCT transmission so a new owner didn’t have to rely on a defective parking brake and then rocks behind the tires to hold the bike or trike on a slope. Has anyone heard of Honda working on this for their 2020 models ??

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Learned something new - I read the owner's manual :)

I love to admonish folks for not reading their owner's manuals. I'm just as guilty as everybody else.

However, I learned something new when contemplating the OP's issue.

I was reminded that for '18-'19 DCT Wings, to CORRECTLY engage the parking brake, the owner's manual states, (FIRST) "Squeeze the front brake lever and (THEN) pull the parking brake lever back to lock the rear wheel", p.60.

For the few times I've used the parking brake, I've just pulled up on the handle. Now, I know I have to squeeze the brake lever first and hold it while pulling the brake handle.

I need to follow my own advice. RTM :)

Tim

#16 · (Edited)
Im not speculating on how it works, I know how it works.

They are 2 separate systems, front and rear brakes are hydraulic , parking brake is cable operated.

Maybe Honda wants the operator to use the front brake so the bike doesn't roll while engaging the parking brake.
The park brake is not even remotely connected to the hydraulic brake system.:smile2:
The OP mentioned the pads are thin, not so, unless he had the parking brake engaged and had been riding with it on for a few miles and wore the pads down.:crying:

#17 ·
Thanks for clarifying how the parking brake system works. I hereby officially withdraw my previous post where I mistakenly speculated the reason the owner's manual states the operator should hold the brake lever then pull up the hand brake. Curious requirement given the mechanical parking brake and hydraulic linked front/rear brake are independent systems.

I will try to edit my previous post. I hate it when people post 'information' that is wrong.

Tim

#21 ·
Unless you take off with the brake engaged a few times like I did when I first got my DCT. I’m not blaming Honda it’s my fault. I’ve adjusted the parking brake, both cable and pad ends, three or four times, and it has less function. I suspect that rolling with the parking brake engaged glazes the thin pads. I’m going to replace them when I return from the Smoky Mountains next week and I suspect they’ll work better. I don’t think the stock parking brake alone is enough to hold the weight of a trike.

#22 · (Edited)
I have not look at the instructions to adj the park brake, when GM came out with the Pb on the caliper you would place a 10mm filler gauge between the pad and rotor and adj until a small amount of force was needed to remove the filler and that was it. I do not know why they did not use one caliper for both Pb and the rear brake as it is on some Honda cars they work well for few 100 thousand miles with no problem and automatic adj every time the hydraulic brake is applied and you would have shaved more weight of the bike.

Please remember it is not a emergency brake it is a park brake it will do nothing in a emergency situation but get you injured.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.