GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you use the reverse to act as a parking brakes let say in a very steep incline without damaging anything ? I am a bit concerned since the bike can move even when parked in 1 gear , me think that eventually you will loose compression in the cylinder holding the bike still....

I miss my Burgman 650 parking brakes ( thats all I miss ;-)

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've used it quite often on my '03 with no known harm done........yet, even with the trailer attached. :popcorn: Let's see what the more informed suggest about this. I am always willing to increase my knowledge, hopefully w/o paying some serious $$$$$ for my dumb choices. To engage the reverse, w/ the key on and the transmission in neutral, simply engage the reverse button and turn the key off.

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Take a look at my post on this subject from a couple of years ago - http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221485 Several good suggestions are made. I now use the reverse gear as a parking brake when I'm parked facing downhill. Some other suggestions if you leave it in first gear are to put velcro or a bungee cord around the front brake lever, and put a rock in front of one or both tires. Some say the reverse gear is not a parking brake and damage may occur, but that's not been my experience.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I also use reverse as a "security lock", when I will be away from the bike (work, hotel, etc) I engage it as well as steering lock. I figure without the key someone will now have to lift the bike as it sure as heck won't roll.

If it causes any damage it would really surprise me, really just like a locking gear and leaves no slack.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I leave my bikes in first gear whenever I park it for a short while, ie: restaurant or walking to a nearby lookout, but when parked overnight, I engage the reverse and lock the handlebar.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Probably works ok....unless the reverse switch sticks, as has been known to happen over on the tech forum.

I just put mine in 1st gear and try to park it somewhere I am not afraid it will fall over.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
Harry noted the lone bug-a-boo of which I am aware. The reverse switch, the fog light switch, the emergency flasher switch, and the cruise on/off switch all tend to get stuck on in cool or cold weather. I spent a few frustrating minutes trapped at a local parking lot trying to get reverse to disengage after I parked it with the reverse as a lock. On really steep parking, I suggest parking with rear wheel down hill with curb or wheel chock as a support and side stand.

Our first gear is so low that it will never let it roll; probaly even if the spark plugs were removed.

prs

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Can you use the reverse to act as a parking brakes let say in a very steep incline without damaging anything ? I am a bit concerned since the bike can move even when parked in 1 gear , me think that eventually you will loose compression in the cylinder holding the bike still....

I miss my Burgman 650 parking brakes ( thats all I miss ;-)
I'm not sure if using reverse as a "parking brake" is a bad thing or not. I can feel the system disengage from reverse if there is pressure against the transmission as can be the case on an incline. I like to remove that tension before disengaging the reverse.

I think the best option for a parking brake is to use the bike's own brakes. They are the most capable of performing the task. I keep a 6" velcro strap in the glove box. I can easily strap that around the front brake lever and grip. It's easy and quiet effective regardless of the incline.

You can pick them up just about anywhere. I got mine from REI. http://www.rei.com/product/794899/rei-sport-wrap-package-of-2

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Probably works ok....unless the reverse switch sticks, as has been known to happen over on the tech forum.

I just put mine in 1st gear and try to park it somewhere I am not afraid it will fall over.
:agree:
IF that reverse switch sticks...lets just say you're screwed.
First gear and a velcro strap on the brake lever or park someplace else.

·
Registered
197 Posts
:agree:
IF that reverse switch sticks...lets just say you're screwed.
First gear and a velcro strap on the brake lever or park someplace else.
I bet in an emergency I could figure a way to stop the electrons from flowing to that circuit and be on my way, just saying. :cool:

On the other hand I use it in the stated manner as a security device, I have no problem leaving it in gear or using the velcro strap if necessary.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
parking on an incline has always bothered me so I usually try to park with the bike backed down the hill and leave in first gear. It is not going to roll and if it does the kickstand will not fold up. 9 times out of 10 I back into a parking space anyway to provide easy exit. BB

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I bet in an emergency I could figure a way to stop the electrons from flowing to that circuit and be on my way, just saying. :cool:

On the other hand I use it in the stated manner as a security device, I have no problem leaving it in gear or using the velcro strap if necessary.

Nope, if that reverse switch sticks, you are screwed. Stop all the electrons you want, pull all the fuses you want, you are still screwed.

The strap on the brake is the way to go .

If need be, left in first gear and if you let the bike roll forward and take the drive line play out, it is not going anywhere anyway.

·
Registered
21,020 Posts
using reverse for a brake is not a good idea but lots of folks do it, its just asking for trouble

park in first gear on the steepest hill u can find to park on, the 1800 will not roll

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Which one would you rather fix? Using the reverse as a parking brake is a BAD idea. If and when it hangs up, you will have to pay for a tow and service time. Not counting the wait to get it unstuck at a dealership. Or the ride home. If it sticks to the point that it breaks, you will be looking at a $600+ fix.

I for one NEVER use the reverse unless I absolutely have too. I would rather replace a bungee cord or a Velcro strap and be on my way.

The choice is yours.....Just saying.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Kit Carson;3381022[/COLOR said:
]Nope, if that reverse switch sticks, you are screwed. Stop all the electrons you want, pull all the fuses you want, you are still screwed.

The strap on the brake is the way to go .

If need be, left in first gear and if you let the bike roll forward and take the drive line play out, it is not going anywhere anyway.
Why? It's a switch nothing more, if the mechanism controlled by the switch is fine then it can be jury rigged, and a workaround can be found.

Sorry I have done to much with too little to let a malfunctioning switch stop a cross country.

Ever hot wire a car, bad switch...no problem.

Sorry but I am never "screwed" I have more then a credit card in my tool box. :thumbup:

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
Flyboy; not doubting you at all. I think it is a double throw, double pole switch so you should be able to McGuiver it. That is, it takes a current to shift the bike into reverse and an opposite current to shift it back to the reverse neutral. So its not a matter of stopping electrons, but sending them back the other way. The switch lube is silicone paste and seems to stiffen eough to be susceptible to cool weather after about three or four years, so your '08 may demonstrate for you this fall. If so, take some pics of your bypass method and show us how you went about it.

prs

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Unless you're facing downhill. A few years ago on a very small, windy road I jumped off my bike quickly to assist a rider and passenger that went into a ditch. Turned my bike off, left it in first gear, and rolled it forward to engage. I then watched my bike roll forward and drop a few minutes later as I was helping the downed rider get his bike out of the ditch. In a case like that I think reverse is the only feasible option (although a bungee cord or velcro easily accessible could have quickly been put around my front brake handle).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts