GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2018 DCT and absolutely love it. I am getting to the point of winter storage in the garage, and always have issues with placement of the bike where exactly where I want it.

I found a dolly for the centre stand from Admore Electric in Alberta. Here is the item

https://admorelighting.com/product/park-n-move/

I had to build a small step to raise the bike rear tire for easier loading. I'm 60 and it's very easy to load and unload the bike onto the dolly. Now I can move the bike sideways and back and forth easily.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I own a 2018 DCT and absolutely love it. I am getting to the point of winter storage in the garage, and always have issues with placement of the bike where exactly where I want it.

I found a dolly for the centre stand from Admore Electric in Alberta. Here is the item

I had to build a small step to raise the bike rear tire for easier loading. I'm 60 and it's very easy to load and unload the bike onto the dolly. Now I can move the bike sideways and back and forth easily.

Added a link for you.

Greg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you send us a video on how you load and unload a GL1800 with this dolly?
If you click on the link Greg thoughtfully provided, there are two videos, load and unload. As I said the only thing I do differently is I put the back wheel onto a small wood block to give me more clearance. Im surea younger man full of piss and vinegar could do it without the extra 3/4 inch clearance the block gives me.

·
Registered
2019 GL1800
73 Posts
I watched the video but that isn't a 900 lb. Goldwing. I would be a little nervous about dropping the Goldwing off the center stand while standing along side of it, especially with a dolly under it. I always straddle it as I take it off the center stand. Would love to see a Goldwing demo with that dolly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the Park and Move has two advantages. One,bike on its centre stand takes less width to store than on the sidestand. And two, rear wheel, or either wheel can be off the ground while on the Park and Move.

Make that three advantages, look at the size of those three point dollies. Where the can you store that behemoth if your not parking on it? If you tinker at all with the bike the left side is leaning away from you and the right Is toward you. Try aiming a foglamp or headlamp on that angle.

OK now I'm at 4 advantages.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I watched the video but that isn't a 900 lb. Goldwing. I would be a little nervous about dropping the Goldwing off the center stand while standing along side of it, especially with a dolly under it. I always straddle it as I take it off the center stand. Would love to see a Goldwing demo with that dolly.
I get your point now. I think the best tip is to always turn the handle bars right to take it off the stand, while you are on the left. The bike will lean toward you as you stand beside it, without fail, it's physics. Try it, you'll like it as they once said.

I am not tall enough, 5 foot 10, 30 inch inseam, to be in the saddle and take it off the stand so frankly that scares me. Plus there is no sudden weight transfer coming off the stand when you are beside it, I imagine you apply brake when it rolls off the stand, I don't have to do that.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I get your point now. I think the best tip is to always turn the handle bars right to take it off the stand, while you are on the left. The bike will lean toward you as you stand beside it, without fail, it's physics. Try it, you'll like it as they once said.

I am not tall enough, 5 foot 10, 30 inch inseam, to be in the saddle and take it off the stand so frankly that scares me. Plus there is no sudden weight transfer coming off the stand when you are beside it, I imagine you apply brake when it rolls off the stand, I don't have to do that.
You need to turn the wheel SLIGHTLY to the right to assure it leans your way when you take it down.

Reactions: OldFatGuy

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have an admore Park and Move dolly. Twice now while pushing the bike (08 GL1800) forward I’ve had the Center stand give way and had the bike fall on its side. Thankfully no damage. Be careful moving your bike in it and make sure the caster locks are completely released.

I’m in the process of getting a custom built dolly by a local machine/welding shop similar to the red harbour freight version. I’ll post pics when I get it.

Spiff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts