GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Me and the wife planing a one day visit in New-york (not enough I know) end of July.We will camp in Allaire State park (one hour south)
We plan to take the Apple-tour bus, but need to park the bike
in a secure place in New-York.Any advice?

Regard
Robert

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I would call the Bus operator and inquire about parking lots near the bus terminal.. Remember that not all parking garages are Motorcycle friendly in the Big Apple.
If you are not used to riding in a large city You should think about taking mass transit. Riding in NYC is like nothing you have ever experienced unless you have ridden in NYC....lol

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
There are some secure bike friendly garages in NY, but I won't drive in city for any reason if I could avoid it.If you haven't done it in a car, you sure as hell shouldn't do it on a bike. You are MUCH better off driving up to Weehawken and taking the NY York Waterways ferry over to the city, hop a cab and go to Tour start. Your bike will be secure on Jersey side of Hudson and you will not have to worry about parking in the city or the traffic tie ups of 45 mins to 1 hour just getting into the tunnels if traffic is backed up which it usually is. Sucks to be on a bike in that situation. Quickest way would be to take GSPW to NJTP and North on Pike to Exit 16E to 495E to JFK Blvd. Follow signs to NYWater Way Terminal. Make a left onto Baldwin and then a left onto Port Imperial Blvd. Go to parking area closet to terminal. Call them for complete directions. Lots are secure...
NY Waterway
4800 Avenue at Port Imperial
Weehawken, NJ 07086
(800) 533-3779
Any problems, drop me a line, live about 1/2 away from park.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I ride in the city. Parking is the problem. I usually park on the street, although it is at my own risk. I am not worried about theft. I am worried about the bike being hit. If I were you, I'd ride to a train station near Allaire. probably Belmar, and take the train. If you are a senior, it is half price.
B.T.W. I am a former resident of Montreal.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I park my wing on the street all the time. Never a problem.

·
Registered
587 Posts
New York City is no big deal

When I visit my daughter who lives in the Park Slope neighborhood of Brooklyn, I just park on the street. We like to cruise around the city on Sunday afternoons. If you can drive in Montreal, you can drive in NY.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I went to New York(Manhatten Island)) a couple of years ago. Seemed to be lots of fenced parking lots with attendants-but real expensive. The lot I parked in was 25$ /day and that was the hotel rate. We left the bike in the lot and got a 3 day pass on the double decker tour bus, stopped at all the tourist spots and could get on and off.

The hotel we stayed at was near the Lincoln tunnel , 2 left turns and we were at the tunnel and on our way home.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Park at any of the NJ Transit Train stations near Allaire (Belmar is one) and take the train into the city....brings you right inot NY Penn Station

You won't have to deal with traffic into the city, traffic IN the city, exhorbitent parking fees, worrying about where to park, worry about if you motorcycle won't be hit, smashed or vandalized etc

I live maybe 35miles from NYC....in the almost 20 years we lived here we drove the car into the city maybe 3 times...always take mass transit...much cheaper, faster, easier

1 - 11 of 11 Posts