GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do these things happen to you folks? They happened to me in the past two days.

Truck stop parking lot: The guy looking at my bike/trailer rig started out talking about my GL1800 vs. his GL1500. Innocent enough, right? Before I know it he's going on and on about his health problems, especially his new teeth.

National park rest area parking lot: A man and woman gawking at my Wing are amazed at all the doodads it has. They're from Florida but all of a sudden we're talking about California education issues which I know nothing about and could care even less. I also learned about their artificial knees and hips and the kind of gas mileage their Honda Accord was getting.

Motel parking lot: I came out of the motel to clean the windshield and there's a dude gawking at my bike. He gushed on about the trailer I was pulling (Aluma) for a few seconds before the rant about his health problems, unemployment and our f-ed up government began. It was all so pleasant!

Please people, I really don't give a damn!

·
Registered
702 Posts
People just don't want to listen anymore. Its all about hearing themselves talk...
I enjoy listening to interesting people tell interesting stories. But when I respond and don't get two words out before being interrupted, I walk.

AG GL

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Gotta love it...:joke:

·
Registered
601 Posts

Truck stop parking lot: The guy looking at my bike/trailer rig started out talking about my GL1800 vs. his GL1500. Innocent enough, right? Before I know it he's going on and on about his health problems, especially his new teeth.

National park rest area parking lot: A man and woman gawking at my Wing are amazed at all the doodads it has. They're from Florida but all of a sudden we're talking about California education issues which I know nothing about and could care even less. I also learned about their artificial knees and hips and the kind of gas mileage their Honda Accord was getting.

Motel parking lot: I came out of the motel to clean the windshield and there's a dude gawking at my bike. He gushed on about the trailer I was pulling (Aluma) for a few seconds before the rant about his health problems, unemployment and our f-ed up government began. It was all so pleasant!

I understand how you feel, I have had same thing happen at the food store Last week.It was a beautiful day though, so I did not mind. Did I tell you about my heart problems, It does not slow me down thought. I had a sore knee last week, but its OK now. I think they are going to lay off teachers in our area.Well have a nice day. Be careful, ride safe, keep the shiny side up. Above all (GOD BLESS)!!!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Could it be they are not really interested in your bike or trailer :?:.
Maybe they are just looking for someone dumb enough to agree with their problems and you fit their image of that person :shrug::joke::joke:.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Happens to me a lot, having a trike.
That's great:yes1:. Before long I've told them about the CMA and asked if they'd like prayer concerning whatever they have told me.
You'd be surprised how many accept and walk away later standing a little taller and smiling a little more:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Hmm needy people always are on the look out for people to need :)

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Met a few like this too. Wanting to share their life story shortly after meeting a total stranger. Perhaps just wanting the face to face interaction with a real person.

Probaby comes from spending too much time "relating" on internet forums:22yikes:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
good

dawg, I read your post, thanks.

Happens to me a lot, having a trike.
That's great:yes1:. Before long I've told them about the CMA and asked if they'd like prayer concerning whatever they have told me.
You'd be surprised how many accept and walk away later standing a little taller and smiling a little more:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
My Thought

You miss 100% of the shots you never take on the basketball court. Meeting interesting people is part of the reason I ride. If you don't engage you could miss out on meeting that one person in your life that might make a difference or at the very least make your day.

If the conversation is one sided I find a way to end it and walk away however, like Forrest said ... Life is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're going to get. I would add you have to open each box and sample ... some pieces are to be treasured others not so much. Life should be a two way conversation with those you have met and treasured along the way.

Donnie

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Had a group approach me at a convenience store a couple weeks back, with the question "Have you found Jesus"??

I replied: "yea, he's right around the corner lookin for YOU guys".

They got mad n walked away.

·
Registered
479 Posts
There is nothing wrong with bringing up different topics when people start out with admireing my bike for instance, but it should be a mutual thing.
People should not start bratling on about something that has no connection to the origanal conversation.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Funny, I feel exactly the same way about your post.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I have to agree with the last guy, our government is f-ed up.

·
Registered
342 Posts
It's rare that when we stop anywhere there is not someone who wants to strike up a conversation. When I travel alone people are more stand-offish but with the wife along they see us pull off the helmets with the graying hair and see us as being a less 'dangeruss' than other bikers.:wrong:

IMO conversation is a lost art. Younger people just don't get it. Older folks often time do but some do ramble.....:eek:4:

The trick is to sort out who and where you want to talk to. We have met some might fine folks this way. Learned a lot too.:thumbup:

I guess one of the things I like about this form of travel is that we take our time, have time to talk, walk and take pictures.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I used to get pissed off at the ones that state "my friend Bubba got killed on a motorcycle" Now I just reply I know a guy who got shot talking to guy who owned a motorcycle ------- Problem solved :joke:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I think it has a lot to do with the fact we have lost the ability to converse face to face and that the world is getting to be a lonely place. So the insecure find a need to just babble on.

·
Registered
19,324 Posts
Alot of people like the wing as alot of HD riders respect it too. So there is always curiosity.This is a good thing I think. Politics seems to be on everyones mind and many people openly talk about it. Many people are fed up with the government. Too bad more people do not speak with their vote

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Wednesday a friend I were going for a ride.I needed gas and he had already topped off before he got to my house.

At the gas station was this beautiful woman.Seldom do you see a perfect woman,usually she has a great body,but a face that has to sneak up on a glass of water or vice versa.
I would of walked thrugh ten miles of broken glass to eat peanuts out of her poop just to see her naked.and trust me She was that good.

My friend is never content,He is always saying things to me about this or that woman.So he asks me "What did you say to her in the store??" I saw you talking to her.
I figured I'd screw with him a bit.

I said I told her I just took a blue pill by accident and I'd love for her to experience blissfull Screaming sex with my extra long toy.But I must warn you-we will likely get arrested for disturbing the peace with all the screaming from the wild sex you will enjoy today.
He said "What did she say??"
I said she looked at me and smiled and said "I don't scream when I have sex"
I said I wasn't talking about you,I was talking about ME!

He about dropped his bike and kept looking over at this woman who was now pumping her gas.

What I did say to her was "You tell your Husband a stranger told you-That he was a lucky man and not to ever forget it!"
.I then said-have a wonderful day at which she smiled and Thanked me.(That is what my friend saw through the window)

When I see a woman bending over in a store..As I walk by I'll say "Thank You" for the offer Mame,but I just came here to get a few groceries today!.
I usually get a chuckle out of them,and it makes them feel nice that a man still stinks they still got it to say such a thing.

TRY this one out the next time a cashier says "Hi How are you today".I shock them by saying. "I have no idea,and I don't give a dam either"
You get all sorts of laughter out of them.The list is long at what they say in return.
Most of all "That's original" and pretty funny.I say WHY?.They said I never expected to hear that!.

So for me talking to strangers isn't always a bad thing.I make it interesting,and try and make people smile.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts