GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I setup some cones in the high school parking lot at a measured 24 feet and tried to do some circles at the "recommended" speed of 8-10 mph. No freaking way, brudda! I could easily make the turns at 3-5 mph, but even then, I was sometimes bumping the steering stops. So, yeah, in theory I can put the bars on the stop and continue to add speed till I run out of lean angle, but that seems a bit scary to me.

* Am I doing something wrong!
* What speed do YOU use for 24 foot circles and u-turns?
* If I'm not dragging pegs, does that mean I can just go ahead and add speed?

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Going by some motor officers I know, no your not. Yeah at the Motor Officer competitions its about time and speed. But they told me out on the street its about control. The faster you go the more committed you are. Which means harder to deal with all the dumb a$$es who pay no attention to the purdy flashing lights.

·
IronMan
17,672 Posts
CHECK OUT DJFIRE'S POST ON PRACTICING CIRCLES IN 3 RD GEAR AT IDLE ...I THINK :wink2:

Reactions: paciia

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Open parking lot, 2 parking spaces with 2 more straight across, no curb stops, traffic cones or other stuff to mess with your head - 'cause this is a MIND game!

2nd gear, slip clutch and drag brake as needed. Keep doing figure 8s only sort of trying to stay inside the lines but have that easy out with nothing hurt but your pride when you blow over the lines. Staying inside the lines will come around later. Round and round you going. Every 10 minutes or so air it out and relax your shoulders with a run across the lot and back.

Keep at it until you need Advil, then go again. One Sunday morning I burned a half tank of gas and never left the Mall parking lot! YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
820 Posts
Make sure you turn your head and face in the total direction and place you want to end up. (your bike will always go where you are looking) I learned this a while back on how to make a U-turn and its a amazing how well it works. It takes a little learning because your not used to it but well worth the practice.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Speed? My original question was about the speed other people use for 24 foot u-turns.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
CC, try setting your rear suspension up all the way to add ground clearance and try again, your not far off. I haven't tried turns at 8-10 mph around a cone but your close enough at 5mph. My thoughts.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Practice the Ride like a Pro and did what they said. It works but takes me practice. If I recall ok I think they teach 10-13mph. Got a sore neck first time from turning head so far. Maybe I'm too old.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Speed? My original question was about the speed other people use for 24 foot u-turns.
Honestly....no idea. If you are looking at the speedometer, you cant look where you want to go in the turn.

I will say that the wing can do a 3rd gear turn at idle without any brakes with pegs scraping the entire turn. I would guess that is about 8-10 mph but I don't know what rpm the engine is at so even that is just a guess.

·
Registered
898 Posts

Reactions: Batmanmiami01

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
So, I setup some cones in the high school parking lot at a measured 24 feet and tried to do some circles at the "recommended" speed of 8-10 mph. No freaking way, brudda! I could easily make the turns at 3-5 mph, but even then, I was sometimes bumping the steering stops. So, yeah, in theory I can put the bars on the stop and continue to add speed till I run out of lean angle, but that seems a bit scary to me.

* Am I doing something wrong!
* What speed do YOU use for 24 foot circles and u-turns?
* If I'm not dragging pegs, does that mean I can just go ahead and add speed?

What do you think?
Who recommended that, and why?

If you're not dragging pegs, you're nowhere near running out of lean angle as you still have plenty of room when the pegs fold up. Sure, you could go faster and lean more if you want, but that might be putting the cart in front of the horse. The tighter turn will come from the lean plus full bar turn, head position, etc., at whatever speed feels stable.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Make sure you turn your head and face in the total direction and place you want to end up. (your bike will always go where you are looking) I learned this a while back on how to make a U-turn and its a amazing how well it works. It takes a little learning because your not used to it but well worth the practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H084SaM9pAg

If there were a shred of truth to that "myth", I would surely have run over several hundred purdy girls over this past 40+ years of motorbiking. >:)

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Most "recommend" parking lot drills be done at walking speeds, under 5 MPH.
If you want to learn to do it faster, OK. If not, OK. Unless you like to compete, slow down and relax. Hitting the stops isn't a bad thing either. You know the bike limits and how to overcome them this way.

Dance to your own music. You'll enjoy it more.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Here I go showing off again... :) under the category of things that are possible on a 'wing...

Look where you want to go... go as fast as you feel comfortable... and then go a bit faster to stretch yourself. And unless your looking to compete (and really still then) the whole idea is make yourself more comfortable and safer on the bike....

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Who recommended that, and why?
Hey, Big_Bird. Good questions.

I was watching the new "Ride Like a Pro" video and it said to do the 24' U-turn at 8-10 mph. I thought that was a little fast, so I decided to setup a 24' u-turn/circle and see what would happen. I know the speed I was going because I setup a good long run-in where I had plenty of time to adjust my speed to 10 mph and get the bike and speed stable before entering the turn.

So, I tried it, and 8-10 felt way too fast! Maybe with practice, I could get my head turn, bar speed and comfort level up there but generally, outside of a Top Gun event, that's just too fast.

Then, I did an internet search for "Jerry Palladino" + "u-turn," and found a nice article he wrote for "Women Riders Now" that said the 24-foot u-turn should be done at about 5 mph. Ah! There's a typos somewhere! :) I think most of us would be more comfortable at the slower speed. I'm going to stop beating myself up about it.

Mystery solved!

I do want to say that the newest version of the RLAP is much better than the earlier ones. One typo not withstanding, the new version has more bikes, more riders, more camera angles, better explanations, better graphics, better sound and improved instruction methods compared to my earlier CD. At the end, Jerry interviews a group of women riders, and I really enjoyed that. As an additional bonus, he puts in all the different bikes and riders doing the same exercises at the smaller motor officer sizes. So, the 24' circles goes down the 18'. All the different bikes made it. That includes one guy on a Gold Wing. Nice to have something to shoot for.

So, now it's time to go play in traffic. My newest exercise is to try my u-turns out on the street in front of my work (well, just down the street where no one from MY work can see me.) Doing it live on the street has a whole different feeling!

Thanks to all for your feedback.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Believe that in latest version they go into why going too slow in a circle or uturn can cause problems. Its been awhile since I watched the dvd but I think it might have been in the circle excercise. Turning like this doesn't feel natural and takes practice. Or at least it did for me. Now its fun to use this on the street. I've been waiting for the local high school to let out for the summer so I can practice again. 0:)

·
Registered
59 Posts

45mph. Let me know how it goes.

Its whatever speed you are comfortable with. And why would you want to "waste" your attention by looking at the speedo?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Its whatever speed you are comfortable with. And why would you want to "waste" your attention by looking at the speedo?
Oh, I'm just that good, YSRracer. :wink2:

I wanted to see if I was going too slowly, 'cause it feels pretty slow when I'm doing it. The trick is to look at your speedometer during the "run in" to the turn. Since I was all alone in the HS parking lot, I could "run in" 10-15 yards, get a good look at the speedometer then just continue at that speed up to the u-turn/circle.

·
Registered
129 Posts
DJFire's 3rd gear exercise takes me to about 8 to 10 mph. If I turn and lean quickly so I go straight to the peg I can do the turn in 24 ft. To reduce the diameter, 2nd gear with clutch and no brake takes me to 20 ft; however, I am not on the peg when I do this so there may be a tighter turn without the use of the brake. The speed at this point of entry is about 5 mph.

I'm still practicing. I can't do this on the first try yet, but I will get there (both directions). DJFire's exercises have helped me a lot.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts