GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to find a parking lot to go practice low speed maneuvers and the circles/figure 8's without having the local LEO's show up. For those of you that do this type of practice where is the best type places to do it without trouble? Thought about asking one of the elders at church if I could use the parking lot there when no one else is around to see if that is an option. I have done a couple circles at the far end of store parking lots as I'm leaving but get concerned if I stayed more than a min or two it would raise issues I would rather avoid.

·
Registered
654 Posts
church parking lot sounds like the perfect place to do it. Who cares if a couple LEO's show up as long as your not breaking the law. Heck, maybe a motorcop will show up and give you some pointers so you could improve your skill. If your doing something wrong they'll likely tell you to ask permission from the owner first. I prefer empty parking lots and the church sounds like the perfect place to practice. Cut some tennis balls in half and you have a cheap set of cones to set up a course or diagram you can easily repeat in the future so you know if you are in fact improving.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I would like to find a parking lot to go practice low speed maneuvers and the circles/figure 8's without having the local LEO's show up. For those of you that do this type of practice where is the best type places to do it without trouble? Thought about asking one of the elders at church if I could use the parking lot there when no one else is around to see if that is an option. I have done a couple circles at the far end of store parking lots as I'm leaving but get concerned if I stayed more than a min or two it would raise issues I would rather avoid.
Most places will not allow it because of insurance problems. As long as they don't come out and tell you to stop, just keep doing it. Once they OK you to do it on their property, in many cases they accept responsibility for what happens while you are practicing.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
We do most of our geocaching on motorcycles. This activity requires many tight turns and other "hairy" maneuvers when following the GPS to our destination. However, when I taught driver education, I would often use parking lots for practice and never once had a problem with authorities, managers, or business owners. You'd think someone would have a problem with kids backing into parking spaces, circling around looking for open spaces while developing their steering and braking skills.

·
Registered
810 Posts
See if you can find any locations near you where they hold local MSF classes. There's one between my house and work, when possible I stop in there. The nice thing is that there are already some stripes / dots painted in for reference.

The other place i go, which is closer to the house, but not on the way home, is the DMV, where they conduct the motorcycle driving tests. Yes, they have signs that say no practicing ... They have met their legal obligation ... If I drop it it is my fault.

Have you been "run off" by the LEO's? I suspect that they might actually be helpful here.

Jason

·
Registered
999 Posts
I use the parking lot at the Catholic Church that is across the street. I would also try looking at school or community college parking lots (obviously when not is use). Those folks often seem less paranoid.

·
Registered
452 Posts
There's an abandoned K-Mart parking lot that I go to. Back in the far corner, mostly out of sight...no through way, so no traffic of any kind. There is a restaurant and trees in front of that area, blocking view from the busy street. It's a pretty good spot to practice without attracting any attention.

The biggest problem is the very fine rocks/sand all over the place...but I can usually find a place clear enough to do full-lock turns in. Although now the weeds growing up through the cracks are becoming slippery and will kick the front tire out on occasion :eek:4:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Have you been "run off" by the LEO's? I suspect that they might actually be helpful here.

Jason
Not exactly 'run off', but I had stopped at a DMV on a Sunday to make a cell phone call (received 3 calls in a row so I thought it might be an emergency). As I hung up and was putting my helmet back on (no less than 5 minutes), officer friendly shows up and asks if I was practicing. I said "With this tank? No way! This was the first safe place to pull off to make a phone call.". He was hardly interested in me becoming a safer and more proficient rider.

I watched him look the bike up and down, just itching to find something to have me pull my fully legal license with MC endorsement and current insurance card. As I left (he was still sitting there), I'm sure he ran my plate, but wouldn't find anything there either :evil:

With all the meth labs and drugs in the rural towns out here, it really seems like he should have something better to do. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
I often get in to work early enough or leave late enough that I can use my employer's parking lot for a couple quick maneuvers. I do a couple loops when I pull into the church lot if there are few cars, too. Just taking whatever opportunity to try to sharpen the skills a little.

·
Registered
556 Posts
ah yes, the parking lot of terror!
I guess im pretty lucky to have so many to pick from.
I have a very small base ball field parking lot about 1/4 mile away that is almost always totally empty.
i have a community park that has over 10 separate parking areas about 1/2 mile away, the golf course 1/4 mile, and 1/8 mile to the local lake that no one would dare to get into, a fisherman or two but pretty much another empty lot. i think there are also some church lots near by too.
today a LEO came by while i was practicing JDFire's suggested learning tips, and he cruised into the lot, did a once around while i was doing tight circles and cruised right back out. I guess the parking lot of terror scared him too.
Ill be i looked like a dog chasing his tail and was not much of a threat.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i do mine on the hwy,better nail that uturn,hahahaha

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Practice? :shock: What's that? :22yikes:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Closed down Wal-Mart parking lot was my lot of choice down here.

Remember the old rule - easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I use our local 'inactive airport' hangar areas. But check with your local airport FBO first.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Our local DMV lets us practice in their shared lot as long as they are not open for business.

Blown306, check with that DMV office as I have been told it is state policy to allow practice during off hours. Told this by DMV employees more than once and more than one office.

I practice at the dmv, bowling alley, any parking lot that has minimum traffic. Have never had an issue. I live in a college town and folk around here tend to freak about any little thing they disagree with. I have never had an issue anywhere. I just find a clean area and play til I have had enough for the time being.

See you out there
Smokey

·
Registered
999 Posts
In a....
Parking lot....

High School
Old K-Mart/Kroger
Old Bi-Lo
Local Community College

All are within a couple miles - I went and got 4" cones off Amazon and RLAP video.

·
Registered
792 Posts
About a mile from my house is the old Navy Seaplane base. They used to teach the military motorcycle safety course there. It's still painted and maintained, but they teach elsewhere now.

Huge, no traffic, and a beautiful area.

See attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Church parking lot usually. Don't have to worry about thru traffic.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts