GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I have a Bushtec Genisis, and do not unhook it. I prefer to park where I can pull out the other end, but that is not often available. It took me some practice, but I can now back my Bushtec almost as easily as I back my utility trailer with my truck. I have a 32” inseam, so I generally use my legs instead of reverse, but, when needed, I will use reverse.

I would suggest you go to an empty, preferably level, parking lot, and just try to back straight. If you don’t have traffic cones, gather some milk jugs or 2 liter soda bottles and use them to mark a parking spot, and practice backing into it. I suspect when you first started riding, your Wing May have felt awkward. After a few hundred miles, it began to feel fine. Backing. Is no different.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
1. When at a motel, do you always pull into a space bike first? I usually pull in bike first, unless the parking slot is sloped downhill quite a bit.

2. If you leave just for the day, do you ever leave the trailer, and if so, do you lock the wheels or tongue to something? When I leave the trailer, I lock it to something using one of the safety chains.

3. When backing out, do you use reverse, flat foot, or unhook the trailer and push it out--then hook it back when bike is out? Mostly use my feet and legs, unless I have to back uphill or go over a lump.

4. If you use a hitch pin, has your bike ever fallen completely over without bending the tongue? A swivel hitch will allow that, of course. I don't have a swivel hitch. The bike has never fallen over. Occasionally when parking, if the bike and trailer are not aligned close enough, there can be a bit of binding. In that case I straighten them out.

5. Have you ever had a flat tire? How could you tell if you were moving? No

6. Have you ever worn out tires or do they time out first? Yes. The first long trip I took was from NH to CA. I over inflated the tires so they would roll easier and when I got to Sturgis, the trailer tires were completely worn out. The homemade trailer had common eight inch wheels, so I simply bought new tires and wheels and threw the old ones away.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Well,
Towed two different trailers behind the Wings in the last 15 years or so and, have never had any issues. So much of trailer handling is just common sense. Backing a 900 lb. bike, on flat level ground, with or without the use of reverse, is just not that hard, based on ones size, weight and leg length. Now, add a passenger and it changes somewhat. Now, add a trailer and it ALL changes. I've been backing trailers with cars/trucks/fire trucks/ etc. for decades and while the larger the tow vehicle and longer the trailer, the easier it all is. But, with a really short wheel based tow vehicle, like the Wing, and an average made-for-motorcycle length trailer, kinking is quite easy.

So, like what's been suggested, go practice. Set up little kids soccer cones in an empty parking lot or, if you've got a cul-de-sac that's not busy, use it. Pulling through parking places without the use of backing is of course preferable but, not always available. If and when we trailer, I always try and find as close to our hotel room etc. as possible and back in.

That way, when we get ready to leave the next day, all we do it pull out and take off. I don't have to back out in any form of parking lot traffic etc. There's all kinds of variables too that help with the judgement/decision process on that. Good luck.
Scott

·
Registered
25 Posts
--

For those of you with a small cargo trailer being towed behind your bike, some questions:

1. When at a motel, do you always pull into a space bike first?
2. If you leave just for the day, do you ever leave the trailer, and if so, do you lock the wheels or tongue to something?
3. When backing out, do you use reverse, flat foot, or unhook the trailer and push it out--then hook it back when bike is out?
4. If you use a hitch pin, has your bike ever fallen completely over without bending the tongue? A swivel hitch will allow that, of course.
5. Have you ever had a flat tire? How could you tell if you were moving?
6. Have you ever worn out tires or do they time out first?

Thanks, I've only had a pop-up tent trailer and they're quite different.

--
I’ve pulled a Bushtec Quamtum GL for close to 60K miles throughout the US and Canada. I always back in and anchor the trailer against a curb for security and convenience reasons. When leaving at the hotel/lodge, I generally use a locking cable through the front hitch, and one or more wheels. Never had a flat, but keep a compatible inner tube inside the trailer. Bush tech has been flawless even on gravel up in Hudson Bay and Jasper, Alberta.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I disconnect my trailer and walk it into the space provided, tongue to the street, if there is plenty of room, I will back up to it and hitch up, if not enough room, I will angle it to make room to share spot with bike.
2. If you leave just for the day, do you ever leave the trailer, and if so, do you lock the wheels or tongue to something?
I always lock my trailer wheels to a pole or rail or something fixed when I leave it behind at the hotel. I also always use a tongue lock.
3. When backing out, do you use reverse, flat foot, or unhook the trailer and push it out--then hook it back when bike is out?
As stated above, I manually move the trailer into the spot, then back the bike up and re-hitch, so I always pull out forward.
4. If you use a hitch pin, has your bike ever fallen completely over without bending the tongue? A swivel hitch will allow that, of course.
I have had an embarrassing incident where I dropped my bike while hitched and it did no damage to either the bike or trailer.
I’ve never had a flat on my trailer (knock, knock), however, I do carry a spare and a small bottle jack as well as a lug wrench for the eventuality...
I have worn them out long before their expiration date. Air pressures are as critical for trailer tire longevity as it is for the bikes.

·
Registered
341 Posts
--

For those of you with a small cargo trailer being towed behind your bike, some questions:

A. I use the same rules I use when not pulling a trailer. Always point the front wheel uphill when parked.
A. Carry a cable/chain and a lock. Don't get crazy. This will only keep the honest people honest. Those that really want it will get it regardless of what you do.
A. I have a lot of experience backing trailers up. Using the answer from number 1 you should either be backing down hill or on level ground. Flat foot.
A. It didn't fall over. It got knocked over. 2" ball coupler with NO swivel hitch. No damage.
A. NO
A. Yes. The trailer I have has way overrated (truck) air shocks on it. It is plumbed with a combined air line. With the light load of the trailer it doesn't cause the shocks to equalize with the light air pressure needed. Basically one shock stays under-inflated causing the trailer to lean wearing out the tires. I will be plumbing the shocks individually to fix that. Then they should last much longer.

Thanks, I've only had a pop-up tent trailer and they're quite different.

--

·
Registered
129 Posts
I do it the easy way first (pull straight in when a straight drive out is available). Often there is nothing to secure a cable or chain to with this method, so I end up backing it in. There are bike with trailer courses that you can take that will show you simple techniques that after about 15 minutes of practice you will find backing easy. I taught these for over a decade. Some prefer turning their head, while others are good using mirrors only.
I use a cable or chain and secure it to a light pole, tree, or anything else available. Be advised that some people will park in the remaining portion of the parking spot so you can't get to your trailer.
If flat, I use flat foot. If any incline, I use reverse.
As long as the bike never falls further than the crash bars, a normal ball works fine. I have a heim type bushtec hitch which has even more margin. The chances you would ever need a swivel hitch are extremely small, but some prefer them. Of course there is more maintenance with more moving parts.
Yes. I had a passenger and was towing a trailer with a Gold Wing on the NYS Thruway at 65 mph. Rear tire sidewall blowout. Immediate loss of steering no matter how I turned the handlebars. As an MSF instructor at the time, I thought it was a front tire issue. Ended up just leaning to steer. Once stopped, I couldn't get the sidestand down. Had my passenger dismount and make the discovery that the rear tire was flat. BTW, NYS thruway has a contract for towing companies, so if your insurance doesn't use them, your plan providers won't be allowed access to come and help you.
Always worn out first.

·
Registered
32 Posts
1. The way I pull in depends on the parking lot at the hotel, or store, or wherever I stop. At most stops, I try to find a space that I can pull through, and then I'm able to just pull out. That's not always possible at a hotel. If the parking space slopes down, I typically back in. If it slopes up, then I will pull in, and then back out of the spot later, using gravity to help pull the bike and trailer from the space.
2. I have always kept the trailer on the bike. It's just been easier to ride with it attached the entire trip.
3. I back out using reverse, assisted by my feet. And as noted above, I keep the trailer on the bike.
4. I did lay down the bike one time with the trailer attached. I was pulling out of a really poor driveway onto a farm road, and ended up getting a big rock stuck under the back tire as I was turning around. I was leaning as I turned, and was just not strong enough to keep the bike upright. However, the tongue was not bent, and everything was OK once we got it upright.
5. I had a tire blow out on my trailer at 80 MPH going across North Dakota, near the end of an 11,000 mile trip! I didn't hear anything, but I did feel the trailer start to wobble somewhat, and it felt very unstable. I was able to get off at the next exit to get gas and to see if I could figure out what was causing the problem. Well, I found the flat easily as the tire had a hole in it about the size of a half-dollar. I also checked the other tire, and found that it was almost bald. Too many total miles on them, I guess. I changed the flat with the spare I carry, and then found a tire dealer who had what I needed. I had both tires replaced since I still had another 900 miles to go until I would get home. I put the spare back in the trailer so I would not have different treads on the trailer.
6. See #5 above. I had close to 22,000 miles on the tires before they wore out, and they were OEM with the trailer, so about 15 years old. Based on other answers, I'm not sure if it was age or miles.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts