GL1800Riders Forums banner

Parking your GL1800

5K views 42 replies 33 participants last post by  Mike K 
G
#1 ·
Were would you feel comfortable leaving your GL1800 parked, say for 3-4 hours?

I, like many have parked mine at a motel over night, but I'm talking shopping, movie, out to eat, sports events, amusement parks.
Also would you cover it?

Cheers!

#2 ·
Yeah, half cover anyway.

I use to worry all night about my bikes parked outside, but now I relaxe and have insurance...I still use a cover and lock it up.

Pitting the wing in reverse befoe shutting it off helps too...

#3 ·
I would not want to park it very long unattended in Milwaukee. Ask Lorens wife about that. She had a real bad experience. I am not making fun here.

Usually I am not too worried as it is not a Harley and they have the biggest theft record based on what I have read. I do in fact cover it at a Motel whether it is raining or not just to keep the sightseer's away so to speak.

I try and keep it in a well lit area and in plain sight from all directoins if possible.

#4 ·
I try not to worry any more about my Goldwing than I do about my car. I do most often put a cover on the bike. But many times do not.
It's why I have insurance. I wouldn't want to have it damaged or stolen, but I won't quite riding and leaving it places just becasue of potential problems.

#5 ·
I always look for the light poles in a parking lot. I hate going in
somewhere prior to sundown, and then coming out to the darkest
spot in the parking lot. You just have to hope the light will deter
any vandalism or theft.

#6 ·
I usually try to park next to a Harley. Then all I have to worry about is if the wing will get pushed over while they are going after the Harley!

#8 ·
A few times I was given the choice of parking my Wing and trailer under the entrance canopy of Hotels that have inside corridors. When I rent a room with outside entrances I don't feel too concerned parking outside the room.
In Branson, a couple of years back, I was told to park my Wing outside a theatre, which of course I accepted. I locked it and covered it with my half cover.

Mike T.

#10 ·
I park mine when I'm out. I don't worry too much, that's why I have insurance. If I plan on leaving the bike out for any amount of time I usually cover it up. I always bring my cover with me. The left saddle bag holds my full rain gear, full bike cover and air compressor. I never leave home without the trio.

I also keep a cable lock with me all the time. When I leave the bike on the street for more than a few hours I put the lock around the front tire an fork. Just have to be real careful to take that off before I drive off. Makes for a very short ride if you forget. Guaranteed to make you an OBAST member. The other reason for the taking the cover with all the time is to keep the sun and rain off the bike. I also hide my helmets and jacket on the seat. Then cover them all up. I can lock everything to the bike on the seat under the cover if need be. Works for me so far.

#11 ·
Just install an Armed Guard alarm system like I have and don't worry about it anymore. Not only does it have an adjustable perimeter sensor with warn away chirps to back off kids and such and a starter disable feature, you also have a pager to tell you if your bikes being being molested. Best made, loud siren, no false alarms ever. Terry

#12 ·
At hotels..

At hotels, I have for years asked for a preferred parking spot. Frequently they will let you park it in a back yard, inside a garage or in a protected area. If you don't ask, you'll never know if they would have made special arrangements. Many times they will let you park right under the canopy where the night clerk can keep his/her eye on it for you. You would be surprised how accomodating motels and hotels will be if you ask nicely and look like a pretty nice person while asking. Otherwise parking right outside the motel door also works for me. In 45 years of riding, I've never had a problem and I've been all over Europe, Canada and the US on my bikes.

#13 ·
Parking

Let me pass on what to me was a horror story aboout covering in a parking lot of a motel. SO and I were dodging thunder storms crossing Wyoming and pulled in to a motel, checked in and went to the room, being a good winger I put a Dowco full cover on the bike. While up in the room we hear a strong gust of wind rattle windows. Asked the wife to look out and see if the cover was still on the bike. She said yes but the bike was on the cover. wind had blown the bike upright ond over from the side stand. cracked bottom of mirror and tore a small hole in the cover. Now all I use on the road is one of the Tour King covers, works great and covers all the important stuff. Thanks for the space to tell my story. Tom

#14 ·
I always ask to park near the front doors of a motel, and in the valet lot if they have one. Have never been turned down so far. If niether is available I park close to my door, or near a light.
I have never had a issue, and never cover the bike.

#15 ·
This topic bring up something I was wondering about. Do you leave the bike on the side stand or put it up on the center stand?

I've been putting my on the center stand at the motels. Just wondering is that is a good idea or not. Thanks.

#16 ·
i usually park on the centerstand at motels, why i don't know, otherwise about the only time i use the centerstand is at home in the garage

usually lock the steering, figure if they can get away with it that way they are pretty well prepared so just let them take it thats what insurance is for

have a full cover but rarely use it and have never taken it along on a trip

more than a few times i have accidently left the key in the bike, now thats something to worry about

#17 ·
My bike is parked out side all the time. The key is always in it. Only time it spent the night in a garage was at Terpens house. Half the time in Motels/Hotels, I forget to take the key out.

I park it where ever I go and don't worry about it. Not gonna lose any sleep over it, It's just a bike. And I do have full coverage insurance on it.

Keys are outside in my car also... They never come out, I might lose em if I took em out !! :lol:

#18 ·
KA7W said:
My bike is parked out side all the time. The key is always in it. Only time it spent the night in a garage was at Terpens house. Half the time in Motels/Hotels, I forget to take the key out.

I park it where ever I go and don't worry about it. Not gonna lose any sleep over it, It's just a bike. And I do have full coverage insurance on it.

Keys are outside in my car also... They never come out, I might lose em if I took em out !! :lol:
And what was your address again???? :lol:

#19 ·
CaptainChet said:
This topic bring up something I was wondering about. Do you leave the bike on the side stand or put it up on the center stand?

I've been putting my on the center stand at the motels. Just wondering is that is a good idea or not. Thanks.
I use to, but while attending the Blue Knights convention in Lafayette La in 05 I parked the wing on it's centerstand in the hotel parking lot, the next morining my friend that was staying at the same hotel two-wayed me on my Nextel, he advised me that me bike was on it's side, ( I thought he was pulling my chain) I told him " no big deal, I got insurance", he asked if I needed help getting it up, again I said" Naw, I'm a big boy"...the wife and I walked out and I almost pooped!!! they was my bike compleatly on it's side, I could see the bottom of the engine.....I thought the whole side would be torn up....much to my surprise the only thing damaged was a very small scratch on the right mirror....whoowhee, thank ya, thank ya..

Needless to say, I don't park on the centerstand unless it's on solid concrete......

#20 ·
KA7W said:

Wow - Understanding insurance companies. Here even the topmost insurance cover will not pay out if it is stolen because the key was left in the ignition. It is also plainly spelled out in the contract.
It is also an offence under Australian Traffic Rules to leave an unattended vehicle unlocked.

This brings up another question though, Has anyone ever had their GoldWing GL1800 stolen without the keys being used. Is the HISS working?

#23 ·
The question I have, has anyone actually had thier wing stolen under any circumstances? Or do you actually know someone who has? As much as we like our wings, do thieves think they are worth taking, or are they looking for Harleys and sport bikes?

There has been a rash of ATV thefts around here lately from driveways and backyards.

#24 ·
Always park outside, covered every night and under a parking lot light!
When travelling, the bike gets a half cover and is parked under the hotel canopy or right by the door. Also have an inexpensive car alarm installed that makes quite a bit of noise should somebody decide to disturb the punkin's slumber..

G
#26 ·
The reason for asking is I am always parking my '03 in a area were I can see it if possible, like at a restaurant.
Havn't work up the nerve yet to park it for a movie, but if I did, I'd take the time to cover it and under good lighting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.