GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am searching for the correct grommet part numbers for the side covers (like by the battery) and the engine covers just below the air vents. I was looking through some old posts, but it seems either I am having issues with the system, or some of those posts are no longer accessible.

I need to get some replacements and thought I would just replace all of them from both sides with those covers. part numbers, links or pictures appreciated!

thanks in advance
dave

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was at the Honda dealer and picked up a package that had all the grommets for one side. Just told them what I wanted and the guy pulled out a bag with the whole set. Not sure if they were OEM or not but they fit perfectly and was a lot cheaper than buying individually.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Will this work for you? LINKY

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Zip Tie Them

Get a small zip tie and tie each of them to the bike. I did this to my 2004 when I bought it new and I've never lost or pushed out a grommet

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
That is the wrong ones....those are for the engine cover not the side covers.
Interesting. I have successfully used them for both side covers.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
when you put them in take a small electrical tie and tie them in and I use silicone spray when I install the covers

·
Registered
453 Posts
OEM Gommets - NO

There are a couple off brand (like Big Bike Parts) that sell 6 or 7 grommets for less than $5 which is about what you will pay for one OEM grommet. I forget who the other brand is, but just about as inexpensive. They are not a high tech part, so off brand is just OK.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks to all for your links and posts. btw, its an '05. thought I had changed my signature to include that, but guess I didn't.

I should be able to figure out what to order from all that was posted. just goes to show you, you need to know what to search on. I kept trying "side panel grommets" and kept coming up empty. knowing the correct parts helps the search.

thanks again!
dave

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
The covers on either side of the motors are in the "engine gaurd" section. Make sure both tension gromets (#1) are there. If not replacde those too. The covers under the seat are in the "side cover" section.

At my shop I only install the OEM Honda ones. The reason is that they fit and come dry and not coated with something shinny like the aftermarket ones. Other then soap and water, I use nothing to keep them in place or aid in panel installation. They work best not tied in place or glued. If they are worn out, they'll need replaced. Unfortunanly, their occational replacement is the cost of owning a GL1800.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Once you install the new ones, put some silicon grease on them and you won't push them out anymore! Every now and then, repeat...........

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Cant figure out what Greg is talking about or his logic my bike has 130,000 I put string ties on them when bike was new and use silicon spray to keep them in place when you put the covers on no problems at all

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
when you put them in take a small electrical tie and tie them in and I use silicone spray when I install the covers
I did the zip tie thing to my grommets 9 years ago when the bike was new. I also bought a pack of extra grommets and it has never been opened.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts