GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently started having problems with my radio/mp3 sound. On some songs, I'm only getting the music parts at full volume, and the words/singing part sounds like it's being muted. I have to turn the volume all the way up to hear the words, and then the music is too loud to enjoy. Has anyone else ran across this problem, and what was the "fix"?

Thanks, Randy

·
Registered
4 Posts
muted sound fix (one of them)

Yes! It's a bad connection in the audio ground. I chased this problem on my '01 for over a year--even contemplated selling and buying a new one over the frustration.

The factory 3-pin plug under the left pocket where your aux plug, plugs into. These are notorious for bad connections (apparently). I cut it off and soldered all three wires directly together to a new female plug (so I could use a typical male to male aux cord). Some folks buy a new plug and solder it on, but I didn't want to do this again in a couple years.

First time I did it I assumed the black went to the shielding. I put it all back together and it sounded the same. I believe it is actually the green that goes to the shielding. Look it up in the tech manual if you have one... otherwise I'll get back to you when I get a chance to pull it out. Someone on here may chime in on that too shortly. Super helpful and friendly folks on this board constantly. Sorry I don't have it with me to look it up for you now. But- once you do this you will be back in tune heaven. Also- if you have an '01 to '05, check out this upgrade (link below) by another board member LarryM. I had it done and it's 100% improvement over stock together with mounting new speakers. VERY quick turnaround too. (check out other threads on here for best speakers) Good luck!

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287996&highlight=audio+upgrade

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Sounds like you have lost the ground to the AUX do a search you will find some info reference repairs

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
On mine it is the connection between the zumo and the 'extension cable' that connects the zumo to the plug in the LH pocket.
The 'missing' sound always seems to be the RH channel. When this occurs (or when I happen to notice) I've found that applying slight outward pressure on the plug (as if the cable is pushed to far into the zumo) and sound is back to normal.
I have not had time to further diagnose if it is just a dirty connection, or if the socket has been damaged, or if the plug and socket are not properly matched.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I'm understanding this correctly, the "aux" wire used to connect my mp3, or other music source, is having grounding problems. So......I disconnected it at the 3-wire plug to totally eliminate it as a problem ( I wasn't using it 99.9% of the time), and there is no difference in the sound.

Let me add a little more info. to the equation. Loss of sound, and its always the words part of the songs, can happen at any time. It happens on FM radio, my BIKEMP3 V3, and when I do use the aux plug for my mp3 player.

It's kinda like going to a concert, and you hear the music, but the sound guy hasn't turned on the singer's mike yet, and the only ones hearing the words are the other people on stage with him.

Any more suggestions????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts