GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, this is NOT intended as a flame, nor directed towards any one person - it's simply personal observations/comments that you can either take into consideration or ignore.

After 10 years of Goldwing ownership, I'm switchin' to the "Dark Side" with an '07 Ultra Classic scheduled to be delivered Friday afternoon. It was, in some respects, an easy decision - yet difficult in others.

The generic recalls haven't really bothered me. The frame recall is something that continued to weigh on my mind - likely irrationally, but I've not fully trusted the bike since - and since my wife is usually riding with me, it's carrying the most precious thing in my life. Honda's attitude towards this is something I ultimately decided I could no longer live with. In my mind, "moving up" into a newer model didn't provide a reasonable alternative either, because if there IS a problem lurking out there, I no longer feel that Honda will "step up to the plate" until forced to. I was quite vocal early on in this issue, confident that Honda would, in fact, do what it took to make a complete and proper fix - and no, I don't feel they did.

There were other issues in my mind - a 2-hour procedure to change a simple air filter, NO fuel filter other than the tank sock, a variety of differing screws/fasteners that you had to figure out every time you removed the top shelter, stupidly designed headlights that make it essentially impossible to replace high beam bulbs without a major hassle. And don't get me started on all the little "push fasteners" and plastic-to-plastic connects via screws and "snap-fits". Or Honda's growing tendency to (in my view) attempt to sidestep warranty claims where possible. In the old days, I didn't worry about Honda honoring a claim - I trusted them to go the extra mile if necessary to meet a reasonable expectation. That's no longer the case in my mind as I watch more and more folks having to fight for basic warranty claims.

Don't get me wrong - there's a lot to like about this bike, but safety is a major consideration to me, and when I don't have faith in something, then it's just time to move on.

Why, then, mention the other things I did? It's simple - I'm hoping against hope that Honda may read this, and ask themselves if they haven't perhaps "lost faith" with some of their customers, and hopefully consider some of my concerns.

Now.........if you're still reading this epic-lengthed novel....let's talk about this board, and some of the things I've observed. Again, I do NOT intend to flame, but rather hope that some of what I say will be considered by some of those posting here in the future.

Perhaps it's just me, but I see us as "guests" in Hal's House. He shoulders the burden and COST of hosting this site, and has some really simple "rules" he asks folks to follow. I've seen time and again when folks simply ignore those rules and dare someone to do something. I've seen others egg them on, either by being supportive or even by responding in a negative manner - because all most of these folks want to do is create disharmony so they can sit back and garner a childish pleasure in the havoc they create. Still others take Hal and Lamonte to task for "censuring" these cretins, forgetting that as guests, we have a responsibility to behave in a civilized and respectful manner in our hosts' "house".

Hal, I for one would like to say "thanks" for your time and $$$ devoted to hosting this site. I realize that it is a business driven decision, but I also realize that you have caught a LOT of flak from both sides no matter what you do. Most folks don't sit back and consider what it takes to put up with some of the stuff that goes on here, and have no idea as to the volume of "cry messages" you surely get because of this board.

Guys, in parting I'd just like to say that I DO appreciate the overall comradarie this board has shown myself and the other members, and simply hope that you'll consider some of the above before you make the next "pot-stirring" post or retort.

May the Good Lord watch over ALL of you, and keep you safe!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Good Luck with your new ride, I hope you enjoy it. We have never met but I will add I will ride with ya any time. 8)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I know where you're coming from. I just bought a new 07 Wing, but man it was a close race, I almost bought the 07 Ultra. Good luck and be safe.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Congrats on the new bike, I would like to see pictures of it...

I seem to flip back and forth from Wing to Harley and back, duh!!!

Anyway, I sold my 06 HD-UC and went back to a 07 Wing that we'll trike out. That being said, if the wife told me she was never going to ride again, ever, I may have to go back to the HD....I did fit me better as a two wheeler, that's one reason for the trike conversion of the 07, it'll make the fit better for both of us, and the bike is for us now more than just me. I love having her with me and I'll do whatever makes us both more comfortable...

Honda has been weak in stepping up and fixing some problems, but then I've seen Harley drag their feet too. I think a good dealer is the best for these problems, helping out when you need it...

Sorry for the rambling.....good luck on the new bike. I'm sure you gonna like it.

Post a few pictures when the new baby arrives....

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Good luck with your new bike,
I honestly hope it is what you are looking for.

I believe we have all heard of the horror stories from any brand out there, from the dealers to the service departments.

You have some very valid concerns, and I agree with many of your comments. But even with the cost to have your dealer replace the air filter, and valve adjustments, I know that Harleys require more frequent service.

It is important to each one of us to ride what we feel comfortable with.

Enjoy, and ride safe.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Well Written George.

Adios to both you and Pat. Hope to catch up with you on the trail sometime.

Bulldog

·
Registered
21,133 Posts
sorry and surprised to hear your reasons for the switch, goodluck with your new choice

·
Registered
4,179 Posts

Always enjoyed your posts...down home common sense seemed to be your style. Will miss that, uh, ugly mug of yours as well.

My BIL rented a big HD, not sure of the model, to go to the Lone Star Rally with his brother. $400 for four days, he figured it was $3/mile to rent since he didn't ride it much. Had the cool factor though.

Send pics and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Your decision to buy a new Harley and get rid of the gold wing is going to make some very important people nervous. I do believe that a world summit is in order to discuss these issues as they are way to important to depose on a lowly internet forum.

I think Hal, Lamont, and the Mayor of Wingerville, as well as the CEO of Honda motorcycles, and the CEO of Harley Davidson should all attend this summit. By doing so, other manufacturers will know what they're up against when a person of your stature makes such an important life altering decision that could very well influence the entire world motorcycling community.

If I was you, I would hire a PR guy to handle all the movie and book deals that will eventuallly come your way, as you undoubtedly are the first person ever in the history of motorcycling to sell one (brand A) motorcycle and purchase another (brand B) just because you felt (brand A) no longer served your purposes, or the manufacturer of (brand A) would no longer "step up to the plate" and handle it's minor mechanical deficiencies.

I'm sure your agent will also be interested to know about this internet board, and the fact that so many people live or die by the gospel truth that is exuberated by the many experts that grace its presence. Once again, you will be the first person in history to ever have a gun held to his head requiring you to read and respond to posts from people that may or may not agree with your ideologies and perspectives. The psychological preponderance of the finger on a mouse button coupled to the duress of ignorance and not being able to bypass an offending dialogue, is enough to make the average person maniacal and ultrasensitive to those around him.

Oh well... that's what books and movies are made of, and with your abundant expertise on the above mentioned subjects, you are bound to become prominent and respected in your future endeavors...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
new ride

George
Good luck with the UC. I think all these machines have problems of one sort or another and the dealers and the manufacturer. So lets hope your experience with HD is a good one. Only time will tell. No matter what you ride, "all the best and happy trails".
Pete

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Good luck on your new ride.

I agree Honda has been slow to respond on several issues - the non OH issue of the early years was also frustrating. I am not sure if that is Honda or more a symptom of the times for a lot of companies.

Harley is an amazing story. I can't think of any other brand that evokes so much passion. I wish people were so loyal to my brand that they tattooed it all over their bodies. Heck, I wish one cute chick would tattoo MY name on her butt.

I think Harley should win big time over Honda as far as reliability goes simply because they are so slow to change. Honda tends to be innovative, whereas Harley is more of a legacy brand, in my opinion. Maybe something in the middle would be nice??

Best of luck to you either way. I'll miss your big toothy grin. I do hope you get a better dental plan along the way, too. :lol:

·
Registered
19,440 Posts
Enjoy your new ride. There is not a one best bike for anyone but choices we all make. RIDE SAFE :D

·
Registered
816 Posts
Ultra

Hey no need to say goodbye. Just because you bought a different bike, there may be a lot you can learn from here. Some say it's not what you ride, and I am in that camp.

In my mind it's hard to beat the looks of a HD. I've been tempted to make the switch too. Of course, I say that with about every bike I see. I wish I had the $ and garage size to have one of everything.

All the best to you. At least with the HD it's easy to tell which is the shiny and which is the rubber side.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hear, Hear! Well said TexasRedneck!! Good luck to you on your new ride.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I think the bottom line is that we all make the choice that suits us best. Just don't forget to wave as you pass other riders.

You could have easily swapped the words "Honda" and "Harley" in your story. Or used Kawasaki, Yamaha, you get the picture. All brands have their quirks, problems, strengths. I will say that I have rarely herd a bad story about Harley's service performance.

Ride safe and have fun.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I'm not a Harley guy at all, but I am a true fan of the sport, and really don't care what other people ride - I have plenty of good friends who own Harleys, and I have nothing negative to say about your decision.

I think your comments about the Gold Wing are warranted, and I too hope that Honda listens.

Good luck on the new bike, and after you have had it a few weeks, let us know how it compares.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
George, have fun with the new ride. Tim

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Hey congrads on the new Harley.... and I completely understand what you were referring to about Honda... and I agree... with the Harley
stepping up the HP and 6 speed tranny... I prolly will do what you did..

cosmic

1 - 20 of 83 Posts