GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find a solution for passenger arm rest on the 04 Goldwing that looks like it was meant to be there. Not really impressed with the design of those I've seen so far. Is there a concensus out there as far as design, looks and functionality?

TIA

Donnie

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you belong to the GWRRA and get their Wing World magazine, look at the KuryAykn advertising page to see their newest addition to the armrest solution. I've been waiting for them to come out since last summer and now I hear it might be this Spring. I like the looks of them better than the plain ones that are on the market today.

·
Registered
38 Posts
New Kury Armrests

I can't find a picture of those new armrests anywhere! Do you guys have a link or know where I can look? Thanks!

·
Registered
584 Posts
ARM RESTS

Ditto on Jon's wife question. Somebody please post a picture.

GOLDWINGS

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Here is a picture of them that Amy sent me last May. Not sure if they have changed or not...

And the "later this summer" reference is to last summer...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Kury backorders

I have the Kury Backrest ordered and it has been delayed twice but I was told it should be at the Dealers on March 5th........that date may also apply to the Kury armrests that you are looking at. Hope this helps as far as a date......and this info may be of no value at all.

M

·
0 Posts
While at Chrome World last weekend I was told that they would be out by March and that they would be around 169. They had just gotten the official part number.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
We had arm rests on our 1500 that my wife really liked. Since getting the 1800 my wife decided that she does not need or want them on this bike. The rear seat is different and the speakers work OK for her as arm rests. You might want to try it for a while before buying some.

The Kury arm rests look nice though.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Have the hand grip mounted ones, with a Khromeworks backrest. The little lady loves the arm rest. Also serve as a package cargo hold with a bungee cord across them, when solo.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Armrests

Word of caution about mounting armrests at the antenna bases...... I've seen two 1800's with the antenna base mounts for armrests that the trunk cracked there. That's a lot of pressure transferred back through the armrest arm to two holes in the trunk.
I went with the (Chrome World, I think) armrests that mount at the seat handle areas and they look good and function good. Also, you don't have to swing them out to lift the trunk. Ride Safe..... Stobby

·
Registered
451 Posts
Those that mount on the grab handles would be SHOWCHROME. Those were also my choice due to the mounting location.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I put on the Showchrome due to where they mounted. I had a Kaw. Voyager that had the armrests mounted to the trunk and they didn't seem to be as sturdy as the hand grab mounts causing a bit of lateral movement and I don't have a cb antenna and didn't want to spend the money to put one on just for the armrests.

Bill Sandbrink
03 Yellow
Newark, Ohio

·
Registered
5 Posts
Black armrests

Donnie, you might want to consider doing your armrests flat black to blend them in with the seat. I have a set of Markland passenger armrests #040364. The armrest pads are trapezoidal and smaller than regular pads so they don't stick out as much and blend pretty nicely into the rear speaker area. I sandblasted the chrome off the mounting brackets and tubes (horrors!!!) and sprayed them with satin black wheel paint. It gave the mounting a smooth satin look that matches the stock seat and backrest color very well. It effectively hides and blends the armrests right into the seat area. I've seen Wingers do many a double take as it dawned on them that armrests were there! If you want, I'll email you some pics.

I

·
0 Posts
Passenger Arm rests

I am very disappointed in the new KURY armrest design. Glad I didn't buy them. They are beautifully made, as is all Kury stuff, but unfortunately they chose to mount them to the antenna mounts on the trunk, in the same fashion as the Add-On units. A really bad idea. This is NOT a rigid mounting location for a unit that could take serious load. First of all, you have to have the CB antenna on the left side, which I don't, and won't. I don't need a CB. Secondly, if you mount the arm rests to the trunk, you are at great risk of trashing your $300+ trunk in a laydown, or any other serious stress to the arm rest. Bad idea.

I went with the Show Chrome (Bike Bike) rests that attach under the rear hand hold grips with heavy duty mounting plates which are through bolted to the frame with the same bolts that hold the seat on. The worst that can happen is you bend the arms. No damage to the bike. Another advantage is that they don't interfere with opening the trunk. The trunk mounted designs interfere with lifting your trunk lid unless the arm rests are swung out. Pain in the A...

Ed Krause could be right as to the need for any rests. We haven't ridden with them yet, and I will see if the wife likes them. If not, I may take them off and she will just use the speaker rests as he has experienced.

Time will tell, but I sure would not recommend any arm rests that attach to the trunk antenna mounts. Shame on Kuryakyn. I expected better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts