GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to pull the trigger on a one owner 2012 GL1800 comfort. My older brother suggested adding a few things. One of them being passenger armrests. I've seen the OEM (really??) and two aftermarket designs. One uses the passenger handgrips as a mounting point and the other that clamps on the rear trunk with a backing bracket. I understand the reasons for each. My question is are there any longer term issues with bolt to the PLASTIC trunk vs the hard points that are the handles?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've had passenger arm rests on my last 4 Wings,all that bolt on under the grips. I think that they seem to be more secure then ones that go to the side of the trunk. Your choice but do be sure that the arm rests you decide on allow the truck to be opened without swinging the armrests open to the sides.

Billy

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
My wife likes the OEM armrests.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw the OEM armrests and thought WOW.... $180 for THAT! The idea of a backer plate and plastic seems off to me so it would be up to the queen. I need to stalk a showroom (if thats even possible now) to see the OEMs. It may come down to searching the net for as many pics as I can find.
Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The ones that mount to the plastic of the trunk often result in cracked and broken plastic. In the trunk.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I did not know the OEM armrest were $180. Wow.
They were on my bike when I purchased it used

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
It may come down to searching the net for as many pics as I can find.
Here's a pic of the OEM armrests on my 2012. Hopefully this helps save a few minutes of searching the net. Let me know if you want to see more pics at different angles or have questions.

FWIW...my first Goldwing had the swing out style, and my wife likes the OEM style better. She said it's easier to mount and dismount the bike.

Reactions: charleetho

·
Registered
192 Posts
Get the grab handle mount or down the road when your better half or you lean or grab the handle hard you are not replacing a trunk.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There seems to be alot of cheap chrome plated armrests out there. Mechanically I like the idea of mounting to the hardpoints of the handles but the clearance to the saddle bag AND the seat heater knob have me thinking otherwise.
I dont want to have to deal with peeling chrome or rust so that makes the OEM look better. The wife is all of 120lbs soaking wet and more agile that me so the need to grab on to get on isn't there yet which saves the aggravation of cracked plastic. By the time that happens, I think I will be past my wingable days. I have to search for video of the OEM installs to see what I'm in for.
TNX

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
OEM Armrests. They don't rust. They don't break the Trunk housing. You can open and close the trunk no differently than without them. They don't present an obstacle to the passenger getting on or off the bike (voluntarily or otherwise). While they may look smaller than what you might think would work, they're actually pretty much perfect for someone who is sitting in the passenger seat.
. Arm Rests - Front.jpg
Arm Rests - Rear.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input... I think I'm going to present the options to the boss and let her decide. That way I stay out of trouble if she doesn't like 'em!

·
Vendor
18,113 Posts
I've had the OEM ones on at least a couple of 5th gens. All of my girl friends (several) have liked them ... even ones that were not lucky enough to become one. They all found them very comfortable, and they also like the elbow ports during unexpected hard braking. As for me, they fit well, look like they're meant to be there, and they never interfere when I'm opening the trunk. For me, there is nothing more annoying, than having to move arm rests out of the way to open the trunk ... and get this ... the OEM ones don't begin to rust out in a year or two.

Hopefully, since this model is no longer made, they're still available for anyone who still wants a set.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've had the OEM ones on at least a couple of 5th gens. All of my girl friends (several) have liked them ... even ones that were not lucky enough to become one. They all found them very comfortable, and they also like the elbow ports during unexpected hard braking. As for me, they fit well, look like they're meant to be there, and they never interfere when I'm opening the trunk. For me, there is nothing more annoying, than having to move arm rests out of the way to open the trunk ... and get this ... the OEM ones don't begin to rust out in a year or two.

Hopefully, since this model is no longer made, they're still available for anyone who still wants a set.
Greg, are you saying the “elbow ports” serve a purpose? And are those plastic or a soft padded compound of sorts? I’ve not saw these before. Rather interesting points to consider.

·
Vendor
18,113 Posts
Greg, are you saying the “elbow ports” serve a purpose? And are those plastic or a soft padded compound of sorts? I’ve not saw these before. Rather interesting points to consider.
Yes ... those are elbow ports for a passenger to dig their elbows in during heavy braking. It gives them another option. Every part the passenger might touch is dense foam covered by vinyl ... similar to OEM grip rails.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I do believe the port holes are there for the rear speakers. The sound can escape up thru the holes for better passenger enhanced sound from the rear speakers.
Honda did not put the holes there for digging in the elbows, although it is an added , but unintentional, benefit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm about to pull the trigger on a one owner 2012 GL1800 comfort. My older brother suggested adding a few things. One of them being passenger armrests. I've seen the OEM (really??) and two aftermarket designs. One uses the passenger handgrips as a mounting point and the other that clamps on the rear trunk with a backing bracket. I understand the reasons for each. My question is are there any longer term issues with bolt to the PLASTIC trunk vs the hard points that are the handles?

Thanks for any input.
I have mounted the OEM arm rests on my 2015. They DO require some skill as they are anchored with steel hinges into the floor on the inside of the trunk. This allows you to open the trunk as before and provides incredible stability. You can lean your weight on them, no problem. You will also need to modify the speaker enclosures to accept the arm rests. IMHO they look at lot better than those cheesy rests bolted into the side plastic which have to be moved every time you either get on the bike or you open the trunk.
The Honda instructions are extremely good and complete. But they do take several hours to install.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Thanks for any input.
My wing came with the aftermarket armrests and my wife did not like them at all. She felt to confined with them, and perfered using the stock ones.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
@k2mpw , I wouldn't rush out and jump on this just because your brother suggested it. Also, be very careful to NOT put this forward like "choose model A, B, or C" because "none of the above" is a very legit choice. I assume this is the Mrs's first Goldwing. Let her get some time in the saddle. When it does come time, she can make a more informed choice. I think you're wise to have her drive the selection, but I wouldn't rush it.

Mrs. Bird has plenty of miles with no armrests and she still feels snug in her nest back there. She does not want anything else in her way for mounting and dismounting, so many models are out.

Our newer to us bike has the OEM armrests that are almost more like speaker covers. OK, they're there. No big deal either way. She barely notices them. For my part, though, I appreciate that they're rugged and weather well, unlike some of the aftermarket stuff. I haven't taken them off but if we got a new bike I don't think she'd ask me to put them on.

Passenger armrests are nowhere on her or my list of top farkles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts