GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks! I am aobut to take delivery (that is, fly to Chicago from Atlanta and drive it back :lol: ) of my new baby....but, my PRESENT babydoll wants arm rests. She is convinced it will make her feel more secure behind me, just in case the scenery gets boring and she wants to catch a few zzzzzzzzz's... :shock: :?

So, I am in need of a set of arm rests, good to excellent condition. However, what little research I've done shows several options out there for these. Which do you guys feel is the best, especially for the purpose I seek? i.e., security!

Any and all information glady accepted!

Thanks!!!

Brett

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Brett, you don't say which model, your "new" baby is. If it's an 06 or 07 with comfort package, you don't have many options. The ShowChrome armrests are good, IMHO if you've got an 01-05. With the new rear speaker design for the 06+, Honda has some made just for them. I had my ShowChrome left armrest bracket machined. I had about 3/4 inch high, by 1 1/4 inches long removed out of the back of the bracket. With that much taken out, I was able to bend it just enough to miss the passenger seat heat control knob. It's within an 1/8 of an inch, but it misses it. Here's some closeup pictures, of what I'm talking about.

-

-

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 2002!

That is, the bike I just bought is an '02 model.

Thanks for the help! I'll go take a look at them. I have a heated Corbin that I'm going to put on the bike, so the knobs won't be an issue for me.

Brett

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
One thing about your passenger falling asleep...they usually fall sideways and can disrupt your bikes balance and your ability to corner properly,,,,you may have to strap her in in the straight up position,,,,,a fallen over sleeping passenger isn't a good idea !!!

·
Squating Member
7,055 Posts
On my 02,04,05 I liked the Krome Werks style, they mount to the passenger grab rails and do not require drilling into the tour box etc...and can be removed without leaving any clue that they were there. Also the KW installed, you can open the tour box without having to first swing out the arm rests....

·
Read Only
842 Posts
I liked the Kuryakyn with the cup holders also, but have heard that the cup holders break easily from the weight stress. I have the Show Chrome version that I bought for $80 less than the Kury's with cupholder. The Show Crome version mounts to the frame via grab handle bolts, and does require a CB antenna to mount. They are a lot sturdier mounted this way also. I really like the fact that the trunk can be lifted w/o the armrests interfereing. I went down to Wal-Mart and purchased a $4 (fully adjustable) bicycle frame water bottle holder, added some rubber weather strip to the bracket on the backside, and zip tied it to the chrome uprights of the armrests. I also got one and mounted it to the handle bar. Although they are at a slight angle, works like a charm for water/cola bottles and sports cups.

Stan

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I am very happy with the Big Bike Parts armrests. Very secure, allow easy opening of trunk. No drink holder,but as noted above that can be taken care of with creativity.

Some have noted the swivel may become loose, but the nylon washer can be replaced easily to cure this minor irritation. Best bang for the buck IMHO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts