GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a volume control/PTT (icom, not CB) for my SO. Any feedback on ShowChrome's Passenger Audio Controller, or suggestions for a similar product would be great.

·
Chard Member
13,060 Posts
I haven't tried the Big Bike unit, but you don't need a PTT if you don't have the CB. With a vol control at the rear she will only be able to turn it down, but never higher than what you have it up front.

You can buy a inline vol control from Sierra Electronics.

Good Luck....

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Red. I figured the PTT was for the mic so I wouldn't get the wind noise from the passenger's mic. Am I wrong on that?

·
Chard Member
13,060 Posts
Todd Graham said:
Thanks Red. I figured the PTT was for the mic so I wouldn't get the wind noise from the passenger's mic. Am I wrong on that?
The pass mic is voice operated. If you want to kill the mic of the pass you might try the Mic Mutes. I have no experience with that product either. My only experience with those is to remove a set! LOL...

The PTT is for CB transmit.

Check out Freds info on the Mic Mutes.....
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/micmutes

I

·
0 Posts
I use the J and M model JMV-2A inline rear passenger volume control. Works like a charm. It just sticks to the left rear pocket door with velcro. Plug and play. Available from any J and M dealer. Got mine from Wingthings.com.

Ride safe

·
Registered
927 Posts
The Mic-Mutes were the best answer for me along with their PTT switch. I originally used a PTT/volume control velcroed to the passengers hand hold to acuate the Mic-Mutes which worked fine but I did not like the looks on it. I then mounted the Mic-Mutes PTT switch and a volume control pot from Mouser Electronics on the underside of the passengers right cubby hole. http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/micmutes. In Fred's example he mounted the PTT under the speaker housing. But my wife felt that was uncomfortable for her to reach so I moved them beneath the cubby hole. The cubby hole is easily removed with four screws from inside the trunk and then it sepperates into two pieces and the PTT and volume control can be mounted without intruding into the storage area. The only problem I had was due to the limited space between the outside shell of the cubby hole and the accual inside storage area. I had to resolder the Mic-Mutes PTT wires at an 90 degree angle instead of the straight up position they came in. I got the info on the Mouser volume control from http://www.intergate.com/~brianb/bike/GL1800_Pass_Control.htm. If you and your wife have no problem with the same volume level don't bother with the Mouser pot. On our bike I also mount the pot front and rear so that we both can set the volume were WE want it. The riders volume control is located in the left headlight adjustment panel.
Ride Safe
Ken

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Got the Hondaline PTT/Audio controller - and recommend any other brand. The PTT for the CB works all right, the the audio controller don't do diddaly.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Todd Graham said:
I am looking to purchase a volume control/PTT (icom, not CB) for my SO. Any feedback on ShowChrome's Passenger Audio Controller, or suggestions for a similar product would be great.
The push to talk transmit button for CB works just fine but sucks as a volume control. Barely a noticeble difference :roll:

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have the Big Bike PTT switch with volume control along with the Mic-Mutes. The volume control works well but uses only a small amount of the potentiometer to change. My wife has gotten used to it and she is happy. The PTT switch works great with the Mic-Mutes. All in all we are very happy with the set up.

The URL for the Big Bike PTT is http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/store ... =828288127

1 - 10 of 10 Posts