GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a aftermarket backrest extension for the passenger? My wife needs some type of cushion to help her sit up straighter.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Have not used it yet, but you should check out Wing Soft's website as they address modifications they do to assist the passenger to seat up straighter. I'm looking using them to modify my seat as well as my wife's for riding comfort.

·
Registered
68 Posts
kjmoyer said:
Does anyone know of a aftermarket backrest extension for the passenger? My wife needs some type of cushion to help her sit up straighter.
Contact Diamond Seats they have a backrest for the passenger and they were very helpful to my wife. She has Osteoarthritis and they worked with her to get the best fit. Now a 600 mile day is done in total comfort :D

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
kjmoyer said:
I got the WingSoft passenger backrest for my wife so she could sit up straighter... but make sure you specify the 'more room' version. The other 'lower back support' version won't do what you want.

My wife really likes hers and thinks it's a big improvement over stock.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Ultimate seats make a much more cushy than stock backrest, It also comes in two heights, one flush with the trunk like, one that goes higher.. My wife loves hers.

ultimateseat.com, i think.

·
Registered
19,376 Posts
Wing Soft offers this mod at very reasonable prices.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I never felt the $100+ AirHawk did much for me, so the wife &
I now have it bugeed from the trunk rack, hanging over the top
part of her backrest. She says it is great! It doubles how long
she can ride comfortably.

She was already comfortable twice as long as I was in the drivers
seat, so now, she can way out do me. Looks like I need to spend
over $1000 for a decent seat. :cry: They say money can't buy you
love, but I don't think I will ever really love the Goldwing if I can't
ever get comfortable. :lol:

Herb

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Like Af Fox we went the Diamond route. My wife is very happy with it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
My wife didn't like the reclining position of the backrest either. I took the cover loose and added a wedge of extra foam so she sits more upright. The reclining position was to hard on her back.
It kind of looks like an overstuffed pillow, but it does the job.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Interesting thread. (and surprising to an extent.) My wife told me that when I get my Diamond that she doesn't want them messing with the rear seat or backrest because she loves it just the way it is.

I wonder if she just hated my Magna that much that she thinks this is the ultimate. I wonder if she would be even more comfortable without the recline.

Maybe I should just leave it as it is. I'm so confused. :shock: :?

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
When I rode the bike to Russell to have the seat redone, they looked at her position on the backrest, and then added 3 inches of foam to the upper end of the backrest tapering to none at the base. Made her sit up a little straighter, and took the shock out of hitting hard spots.

Net result was she now has zero back trouble, and can sit it total comfort for hours. Should have been done the day we took the bike home.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Wingsoft fixed my wife's back issue

1 - 13 of 13 Posts