GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - My wife has registered a complaint and I am trained to listen.

My hot little bride of thirty years wants to sit up straighter and have better back support so that she is not in pain on the bike. It's always about her.

That leads me to three questions:

1) Should I just leave her in the kitchen and go alone. Just kidding. (You newlyweds, don't try this humor at home. I am a experienced, housebroken man about the house.)

2) Spend $300 for a Kuryakyn (by Mustang) OEM compatible heated, adjustable passenger backrest.

Does anyone have one of these? Does your passenger like it? Did it solve the problem?

3) Get some kind of a custom fitted, back supporting Goldwing passenger comfort enhancing, make 'er happy friggin' pillow?

Is there such an animal?

I'll appreciate your help.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
You cantake the back rest off and cut some of the angle out of the foam yourself. I did it and it was not hard at all.

"Easy fix remove backrest (2 screws)remove staples from cover,take a electric carving knife and remove 1 1/2 to 2 in of foam from front side of backrest from bottom up approx 3in. staple cover back on.Will remove the lump most passengers complaint about and changes sitting angle more upright"

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
When I had my seat done by Wingsoft they did her backrest also. That was always her major complaint about the wing. Shes very happy with the way it is now. It makes no sense as to how Honda came up with that design for a backrest. It looks uncomfortable and is uncomfortable.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
When I had my seat done by Wingsoft they did her backrest also. That was always her major complaint about the wing. Shes very happy with the way it is now. It makes no sense as to how Honda came up with that design for a backrest. It looks uncomfortable and is uncomfortable.
+1:thumbup: I got the Wingsoft Large Complete mod....with Complete meaning the passenger back rest mod which sits the passenger more upright. Wife loves it. And about half the price of a full custome seat.

Dan

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
My wife says not to change a thing on her part of the seat, including the backrest. She thinks the backrest is very comfortable, even on 500-600 mile days, two weeks at a time. Like every thing else on the Wing, Honda had to pick a shape that they thought would work for the majority. Those that disagree have to modify.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Mine uses a small cushion she can, or I can, put against her back and seat before we ride. It tilts her up and makes her comfortable. It is inexpensive and gets the job done....

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have the kuryakyn seat back rest made by mustang. My wife is opposite of your wife, she prefers to be on a slight angle instead of upright like the Kury/mustang sits her.

The heat on these seats/backrest is way better than the factory Honda seat/backrest

No I do not want to sell the backrest, she likes it on cooler/cold days.
dd

·
Registered
1,854 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
And if you can sneak your wife's electric knife out of the kitchen, it makes easy work of carving the foam! You can cut a little have her sit on the bike, cut some more till she is Happy! Just slide the backrest on and off with out the cover. Hardest thing is getting the staples back in.
And to make cleaner and smoother cuts with the electric carving knife, put the foam in the freezer for 24 to 36 hours and 'carve' the foam as quickly as possible after removing from the freezer... Yea yea I know, sounds stupid but try if you think I have lost all my marbles! :roll:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone - Srinehart has a Kury passenger backrest cushion. When I read the installation instructions on the Kury site, it mentioned unhooking the the backrest heaters.

So you just leave them unplugged while you have the cushion in place?

Also, do you drop the extra fifty bucks for the sheepskin?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alrighty then, I am about to purchase a Kuryakyn 4115 sheepskip passenger backrest cover.

Anybody want to talk me out of it?

Anybody want to talk me out of paying more for the sheepskin. (If it will make my little peach pit happier, it's worth it. When Mom's happy, everyone is happy).

Can I purchase it from one of our proud sponsors?

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I just purchased the Mustang pad that you slip over the OEM backrest. Very easy intallation! My wife liked it a lot on our recent trip to the southern Appalachian mountains this past June.

My wife is a tiny person so the loss of space created by the additional pad was of no consequence in contrast to the additional benefit of having her ride in a more upright position, and be more comfortable.

Bear in mind that if you carry a rider's backrest pouch on the rear of the backrest, it'll intrude into the passenger area lessening the available space there.

So, if your SO is..........should I say "robust" in the upper body, this may not work well for her.

Good luck in your quest

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, I just hate it when those things smoosh into my back. Especially, if they jiggle a little bit.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just cut an order with Direct Line....one of our proud sponsors. First time with those guys.

Good price.

Didn't get a big surprise with S&H at checkout.

Now, let's see how the delivery part goes.

Make us proud Direct Line.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
go the wingsoft option

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
According to my bride of 34 years, its just fine. When we are starting out, engine on, upright, I tell her it's OK to 'wiggle', ie; I have control and the bike is stable. What she does is raise up slightly and plant her behind firmly into the bottom of the backrest. Yes, she is slightly leaning back. If she wants/needs to sit up straight, she can. She just demonstrated this for me. Each to his own I suppose.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My SO uses a small little flat pillow she got from wally world and says it works great. I guess it does cause she goes to sleep if we go any distance. :yes1:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts