GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 GW and would like some recommendations on the best way to reduce the wind buffeting the passenger gets. I still have the stock windshield which works fine for me. We are planning a trip in April and would like to make some adjustments for the ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
I installed the Tulsa windshield with vent and the Tulsa mirror wings and it seemed to make a big difference for my wife. I also like being out of the heavy winds especially this time of the year.-I noticed you go by "toothman". Where are you located? Dentist? Good Luck. Glenn
"toothdoc"-Birmingham, AL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
837 Posts
What's made the most difference for my wife were the Hondaline extra tall windshield, Tulsa mirror wings, and Baker wind wings. You'll get lots of opinions on what brands work the best. These work for me and my wife.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Baker Built hand wings!! According to my partner they are great. I find much less wind for the driver in winter is a plus!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Passenger Comfort

Toothman,
I purchased a new 2002 last July 2003. Prior to taking a trip to Seattle from Davenport, Iowa, I installed a Tulsa tall vented windshield and their mirror air deflectors. My wife uses a full face shield too. She said the windshield and wings made a difference. I definitley noticed a difference in my hands when riding with the mirror wings. I am satisfied. Not sure what else I would install to help my wife. Don't think I want to let her try and drive, feet couldn't touch the ground. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
The Mirror Wings seem to do the best job of minimizing the buffeting on the passenger. I doubt if the brand really makes a difference - I have Bakers and am very satisfied. The Wind Wings help also but not nearly as much as the Mirror Wings. I replaced the OEM windshield with a Tulsa which created a larger still air pocket for me which probably extends back to the passenger area too but she's not mentioned that factor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
384 Posts
Comfort

toothman,
As you see, there is several different opinions.
Our Windshield, Mirror Air Deflectors and if needed, our Fairing Wind Wings as a package will provide superior protection for you and your passenger over any other combination you can find.
IF NOT you can take them off send them back and take advantage of our 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee.
If you have any questions give us a call.
Ride safe
Allen/Tulsa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Question on the 'Passenger Backrest' ... is there anyone out there who's passenger uses an additional cushion so that they sit up straighter??

My SO is 5'2" and I'm 6'5" and while sitting on a wing on the show floor(we haven't received the new 04 ABS Black Cherry yet), she notices that the back of her seat leans back a little too far and she feels she will not use the backrest while riding, maybe at stops and such. Is there and aftermarket cushion that attaches to position the passenger a little straighter?

Thanks!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,834 Posts
I put on the Tulsa mirror and fairing wings long before I put on the standard Tulsa shield.
The wings stopped the buffeting for the passenger,and cut out the wind noise in the headsets.

When I later installed the shield,she said she didn't notice any difference at all,but it sure helped reduce the buffeting I was getting with the stock shield.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
MN04CandyRed said:
Question on the 'Passenger Backrest' ... is there anyone out there who's passenger uses an additional cushion so that they sit up straighter??

My SO is 5'2" and I'm 6'5" and while sitting on a wing on the show floor(we haven't received the new 04 ABS Black Cherry yet), she notices that the back of her seat leans back a little too far and she feels she will not use the backrest while riding, maybe at stops and such. Is there and aftermarket cushion that attaches to position the passenger a little straighter?

Thanks!!!
Same complaint my wife has.

I've looked since last fall for something to insert behind the passenger. No luck yet, needs to be very thin and slightly wedge-shaped. Could probably get something made at a local upholsterer, but so far I've only checked retail locations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
MN04CandyRed said:
Question on the 'Passenger Backrest' ... is there anyone out there who's passenger uses an additional cushion so that they sit up straighter??

My SO is 5'2" and I'm 6'5" and while sitting on a wing on the show floor(we haven't received the new 04 ABS Black Cherry yet), she notices that the back of her seat leans back a little too far and she feels she will not use the backrest while riding, maybe at stops and such. Is there and aftermarket cushion that attaches to position the passenger a little straighter?

Thanks!!!
I am 6'4", I would ride the bike on some day long trips when you get it and see how it feels to you. I think you will find as I and other tall rides have found you need a seat that will move you back and up. If you get a new seat they can make the back rest more up right. Most of the time they have to any way to get the added inches in the front.

Panther
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Candy Red, My wife had the same problem. I have a custom cover from B&G that matches my red bike. I added a piece of foam between the cover and seat to give my wife a more upright position. worked for us. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
For those of you that have your Wings available (mine will be on the 27th), would this cushion be too large??? What does the passenger seat measure?

http://www.wisdomking.com/product16208c220097.html

Would a 16 1/2" square cushion be too large? How about the 4 1/2" thickness? I don't want it pushing her forward or her having to force it back to sit up straight. It is foam so it should compress OK. It tapers to 3/4" so I think that'll work. Not sure if the cover comes off so that I could modify the foam inside. I would just have to connect some sort of strap to go around the seat to keep it in place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,613 Posts
MN04CandyRed said:
For those of you that have your Wings available (mine will be on the 27th), would this cushion be too large??? What does the passenger seat measure?

http://www.wisdomking.com/product16208c220097.html

Would a 16 1/2" square cushion be too large? How about the 4 1/2" thickness? I don't want it pushing her forward or her having to force it back to sit up straight. It is foam so it should compress OK. It tapers to 3/4" so I think that'll work. Not sure if the cover comes off so that I could modify the foam inside. I would just have to connect some sort of strap to go around the seat to keep it in place.
Candy Red,

I'm 6'2", 34 inseam, wife 5'3". She likes to sit straighter too. My suggestion is not to buy the wedge, because at 6'5", unless you have extremely short legs, you will very soon discover the need for a new seat. You could go the reupholster route in which case they could adjust the passenger backrest also. Cost $150 to $500 is what I've read.

But the problem tall riders usually have is not enough thigh support for their long legs and reupholstering the stock seat does not look like it would do the trick to me. Diamond Seats makes the Hi Miler and also sells a passenger backrest that allows the passenger to sit straighter. We have been very happy with ours.

Here is some more info that might be of interest to you. It's very long.

Increase Your Riding Comfort

Enjoy your new ride. You definately picked the fastest color.

Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Hey ddking

Sorry I didn't make this clearer, but the wedge is for the passenger seat so that the passenger sits up straighter. The passenger backrest slightly slopes back and my SO wants to sit up straighter. I'm not concerned with myself yet since I haven't driven the bike (due in 3/27).

Like the rest of you guys say.... gotta make the passenger happy so there is only the noise from the hum if tbe 1800cc's and no other static.... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,613 Posts
MN04CandyRed said:
Hey ddking

Sorry I didn't make this clearer, but the wedge is for the passenger seat so that the passenger sits up straighter. The passenger backrest slightly slopes back and my SO wants to sit up straighter. I'm not concerned with myself yet since I haven't driven the bike (due in 3/27).

Like the rest of you guys say.... gotta make the passenger happy so there is only the noise from the hum if tbe 1800cc's and no other static.... :D
You were clear. I guess I was not. What I meant was that at your height, it is very unlikely you will be happy with stock, and I thought I try to save you a little money now [because you'll probably be spending a lot more later :lol: ] since you will probably end up getting a new passenger backrest then. But time will tell, and I have heard of one 6'8" guy who liked the stock seat...when it was new.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top