GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always tightened a bag to the old Wing passenger handrails.

I understand the circumstances of this item on the 2018+, I wonder if anyone had considered drilling the OEM handles so as to be able to pass tight-down straps through them?

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have always tightened a bag to the old Wing passenger handrails.

I understand the circumstances of this item on the 2018+, I wonder if anyone had considered drilling the OEM handles so as to be able to pass tight-down straps through them?
I use Rok Straps to tie down lots of stuff.
Since the grab handles are a hard plastic, and easy to remove, it is fairly easy to cut a few holes.
Don't care for bungees, as I never seem to have the correct length I need, but the Rok Straps are always there to tie down anything properly.

You don't need to cut holes, just wrap your rope or bungee around the front and rear of the grab handle and it will kinda be ok. Or you can do it right and cut a few simple holes.

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Since the grab handles are a hard plastic, and easy to remove, it is fairly easy to cut a few holes.
Don't care for bungees, as I never seem to have the correct length I need, but the Rok Straps are always there to tie down anything properly.

You don't need to cut holes, just wrap your rope or bungee around the front and rear of the grab handle and it will kinda be ok. Or you can do it right and cut a few simple holes.
Great idea Jefro. I’m going to do this to mine. Thanks!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I actually had to use bunji cords for my bag this time. I wasn't able to bring the bag tie down straps under the ends of the grab 'handles' because the straps aren't long enough on the bag. Bunji was the only thing I could use at the time.

On another note, the bag made for a great backrest (since I don't have one yet). I think just the weight of me leaning back would hold it, but I felt better with them on when I was away from the bike.

·
Registered
716 Posts

Your cut outs looks really good but do you think removing that much plastic may weaken the handle when you go to put it on the center stand????

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its a matter of time before an aftermarketeer will come up with a handrail that fit this need.

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Its a matter of time before an aftermarketeer will come up with a handrail that fit this need.
Max already has 2 options.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use these from Bass Pro. Similar to Rok Straps. Come in different lengths. Wrap one strap around each grab handle, connect to each other on top of the load and cinch down.
This is not good without a link...where can I get them?

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts