GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used Goldwing last year. I thought I remember the passenger backrest warming up but lately it is not.

I remember previously that the seats may not warm up in warmer weather but would expect all portions to warm up. The bottom passenger seat is warm but not the passenger backrest.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
It's possible the backrest has come unplugged. Open the trunk and at the back of the trunk lid, you will see two phillips screws. Take them out, lower the trunk lid and pull upward on the backrest. As the backrest comes off, check to make sure the backrest is plugged into the harness coming out if the trunk lid.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
backrest plug

I went back and looked at my manual and the best I can tell there does not seem to be a heated passenger backrest for a 2006. So now I am really confused. What is the plug for in the back of the passenger backrest if it is not for the heat.

:shrug:

·
Registered
214 Posts
I don't remember the backrest being heated either. I alway thougt that the seat was the only part that was heated. Can anybody else chime in on this one. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you have the 'comfort level' model of the GW that has heated grips and seats, then Yes, the passenger backrest is also heated. It's probably unplugged.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
The Honda Dealership that told me they could work on my Comfort System inop told me there was no heat in the passenger backrest.:wrong:
They did not get to work on my bike:roll:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hmmmm. More broken wires at hinge? :eek:4:

Been expecting our backrest to quit heating anytime soon. Already have had the rh speaker, and the remote functions to quit. 4 broken wires so far. Did a wire re-route, after repairing those wires. But, not totally satisfied with the bending I still get, altho they don't bend but 20% of what they did.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
No proof, (because I can't find any service people that know!) but, I have seen posts here that say the heat starts @ temps below 60F.
My opinnion has always been that my bottom is not what gets cold in really cold weather. Heated grips work very well for my hands but, seat is worthless. Wife won't ride in cold weather so, no idea if the passenger back rest works at all.
There is a thread here on adding a resistor to iincrease the amount of heat however, have been afraid to do so while I still have warranty!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
red wing one I also have an '09. I had the seat off and wanted to make sure the seat heated up so turned both the seat and grip heater on and both heated up with no problem. BTW the temperature was in the mid to higher 70's.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My dealer told me one time that the seat would not heat up unless there was weight on it. Kinda like a pressure switch. OK, now how is heat suppose to work? Will it heat up with out somebody seating on it, or does the seat need weight on it to heat? Doe's the rear work the same way? Now I am really confused.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I have an '03 which did not come with a heated backrest. i purchased a heated backrest from a memeber on the board. I tested the backrest before install to see if it actually worked. I attached wires to the backrest and then to a car battery. The seat heated up and a thermo-gun confirmed it. I wasn't applying any pressure. I don't know if this helps or not.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My dealer told me one time that the seat would not heat up unless there was weight on it. Kinda like a pressure switch. OK, now how is heat suppose to work? Will it heat up with out somebody seating on it, or does the seat need weight on it to heat? Doe's the rear work the same way? Now I am really confused.
If you look at the wiring diagrams in Honda's service manual you will see that neither seats nor backrests include pressure switches. All they have is heating elements and thermistors used to control the heat level.

You'd think that dealers would have a better understanding of what they sell, but I suppose they can't know all things about all bikes.

I had so much trouble with the oem system on my 2006 bike that I eventually disconnected the heater elements in seats, backrest and grips from Honda's control system and wired them up to "Warm and Safe" heat controllers bought over the internet - they have worked perfectly ever since!

I have bought a lot of products from Honda and always been very happy - the comfort heating system on the Wing however is something I think that they overly complicated and screwed up - at least on my bike! I think the 2006 model was the first years with this system, so perhaps newer ones are better. I know that a great many owners had a lot of problems with the earlier years.

Brian.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts