GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there are no stupid questions...

When riding with a passenger, in which order do you get on your Wing?

Just curious - and interested in safety and convenience.

Thanks!
Jack in Lakeville, MN
aka Goldwingguy
03 Silver
Wishing for Spring!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Since I have the KromeWorks back rest on my wife likes to get on the bike before me.
I have it on the side stand and she backs up to the left side of the bike. Puts here left foot on the passenger foot rest. Then lifts herself up and swings her right foot over my seat and folded down back rest. This is going left to right. Makes sense??
Once she is in her seat I lift my back rest up into place and then lift my right foot over the tank and slide into place on my seat.
Hope that makes sense.
In any case do what works best for you and your wife.
Don

http://www.pbase.com/image/18701534

http://www.pbase.com/image/18701528

http://www.pbase.com/image/18701462

·
Registered
116 Posts
With the bike on the side stand, my wife gets on first, I plug in her intercom then I mount up and check our communications. Then I start the bike and off we go. Getting off is just the reverse. Piper

·
Registered
116 Posts
With the bike on the side stand, my wife gets on first, I plug in her intercom then I mount up and check our communications. Then I start the bike and off we go. Getting off is just the reverse. Piper

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Well it seems we do it differently than most. My wife has a problem ankle. Can't pivot well on it. Plus we have the Utopia Backrest which does lie down pretty well.

But she mounts first - onto the driver's seat, then she schruches back onto the passenger seat. I've previously but the bike in reverse so it won't move on us. I extend my hand to her for balance - til she's firmly positioned in passenger seat.

I set the Utopia uprite.

Then I throw my right leg over the gas tank - in a foreward motion with my heal crossing over the top of the gas filler plate.

Out of reverse and away we go.

Works for us.

·
Registered
585 Posts
We have the Krome works back rest. I straddle the wing and lean forward, she moves the seat back forward to me then states, "I'm Gettin" on", then mounts it like a damn araibian she used to own. She pulls the seat backrest to the rear and I sit down, away we go. Getting off the wing is, I stop and set kickstand get off, she moves the seatback forward and then lights a smoke , then gets off when she's ready. You don't rush her either. Not a good idea. Craig

·
Registered
837 Posts
Bike on side stand, Susan get's on first while I hold the left grip and she uses my right arm for support. When we dismount, I get off and she hold's my hand for support while she swings her right leg over and steps off.

We tried it with me getting on first and her stepping through and on to the passenger seat and she wasn't comfortable at all getting on like that.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wife only weighs 83#'s so it doesn't make much difference, but I get on first normally and right the bike. When the sidestand is up she climbs on. She knows to tap me on the shoulder before she pulls herself up.

:rat: Bake

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Because of my short stature, and my handicapped legs, we have to do it this way.

Bike on side stand, I mount the bike, secure it so that it does not move. With verbal key between Meesh and I, She gets on the back.

Any other way and I would be marking the crap out of the bike.

Anytime Meesh makes a hard or other than normal move, we always communicate prior to the move. This way, the right hand knows what the left hand is doing.

When we dismount, I bring the bike to full stop, go to neutral or leave it in gear and shut it off. place the bike on the center stand, Meesh unhooks her communicator and gets off on the left side first, followed by me.

I don't think there is a right way or wrong way. As long as it works well for both riders and the bike can remains sable and under positive control.

Bulldog

·
Registered
94 Posts
When the Old Lady is packing maximum density or has a one way ticket to Fat City, you need to be careful and know when she is mounting up. Side stands can break from fatigue, espically when severely stressed, so I would advise the rider to mount up first and steady the bike upright with both feet planted firmly on the ground and front brake applied. Always have Big Mama ask permission before she mounts up so there are no surprises.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
bigc45 said:
she moves the seatback forward and then lights a smoke , then gets off when she's ready. You don't rush her either. Not a good idea. Craig
:lol:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Curt Fesler said:
When the Old Lady is packing maximum density or has a one way ticket to Fat City, you need to be careful and know when she is mounting up. Side stands can break from fatigue, espically when severely stressed, so I would advise the rider to mount up first and steady the bike upright with both feet planted firmly on the ground and front brake applied. Always have Big Mama ask permission before she mounts up so there are no surprises.
Gotta like a man that tells it like it is :lol:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I get on first, right the bike, reach back and pull the utopia backrest forward.

She stands on the left floorboard, and mounts.

She gets off first also.. of course waiting to "be cleared to dismount."

Like the 'dog said, uncoordinated movement doesn't work well! You gotta talk!!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
proper bike etiquette dictates that the method you use to mount and dismount is the one your riding partner (my wife in my case) prefers. If mama ain't happy, mama don't ride and then I'm not as happy ...
She gets on first ... 8)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
OrangeCrush said:
proper bike etiquette dictates that the method you use to mount and dismount is the one your riding partner (my wife in my case) prefers. If mama ain't happy, mama don't ride and then I'm not as happy ...
That is indeed rule #1!!! :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts