GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to have a passenger who might weigh a fair bit mount the bike? I guess I would also like to know how to have one dismount also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Bike on side stand passenger first. backing up to the bike siding up and on then swing leg over. then driver stepping over the seat. To dismount, driver first, then passenger. She likes me to hold the left handlebar while she mounts and dismounts, just makes her feel better I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
mounting passenger

I have a friend who is a passenger and mounts in a unique way.While holding on handlebars,she puts right foot on drivers footpeg(left side) then her left foot on passenger footpeg(left leg behind right) then lifts right leg over drivers seat, and sitting on passenger seat.....Hope this helps. Sounds more complicated then really is.......Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
I ALWAYS have any passenger (with or without a "few" extra pounds) mount my GL (or any of the other bikes) from the left side with the kickstand down.

I ask them to make it one smooth motion placing their left foot on the passenger peg and having their crossing right leg go over the driver seat. This allows them not to shift their weight off the kickstand side and glide easily into the passenger seat before planting their right foot on the right passenger peg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
Ihave my bike on the side stand, and holding the handle bars, the wife puts her left foot on the riders left peg and swings her right leg over to the passengers right side foot board.
Still holding the handle bars, she moves her left foot back to the passenger left side foot board and slides back into the passenger seat.
Dismounting, rider first, she then slides into the rider position and dismounts as per the rider.

Trev.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,052 Posts
For me ,I AWAYS mount first, kick stand down on left side. Then passenger mounts from left. Dismount, passenger first always from the left side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
Fox in GA said:
Bike on side stand passenger first. backing up to the bike siding up and on then swing leg over. then driver stepping over the seat. To dismount, driver first, then passenger. She likes me to hold the left handlebar while she mounts and dismounts, just makes her feel better I guess.
:yes1: :yes1: :yes1: :yes1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,194 Posts
laen said:
For me ,I AWAYS mount first, kick stand down on left side. Then passenger mounts from left. Dismount, passenger first always from the left side.
To add to the above, the passenger will ALWAYS check with driver to make sure they are ready for them to mount or dismount the bike.

Mount:
1 Driver mounts Wing first

2 With sidestand still down and after passenger checks with Driver

3 Passenger steps with left foot onto passenger left floorboard, swings right leg over seat. Uses drivers shoulder for balance (if required).

Dismount:
1 Bike at stop, sidestand down passenger checks with driver and proceeds when given the ok.

2 Passenger stands up on floorboards, swings right foot over seat to ground.

3 Passenger steps down. Driver then dismounts
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
zaT111 said:
laen said:
For me ,I AWAYS mount first, kick stand down on left side. Then passenger mounts from left. Dismount, passenger first always from the left side.
To add to the above, the passenger will ALWAYS check with driver to make sure they are ready for them to mount or dismount the bike.

Mount:
1 Driver mounts Wing first

2 With sidestand still down and after passenger checks with Driver

3 Passenger steps with left foot onto passenger left floorboard, swings right leg over seat. Uses drivers shoulder for balance (if required).

Dismount:
1 Bike at stop, sidestand down passenger checks with driver and proceeds when given the ok.

2 Passenger stands up on floorboards, swings right foot over seat to ground.

3 Passenger steps down. Driver then dismounts
+1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,095 Posts
I guess I am wierd. I am on the centerstand, I mount first then have them mount steping left foot and standing tall to lift leg and cross seat to right side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,625 Posts
WB0SPL said:
Fox in GA said:
Bike on side stand passenger first. backing up to the bike siding up and on then swing leg over. then driver stepping over the seat. To dismount, driver first, then passenger. She likes me to hold the left handlebar while she mounts and dismounts, just makes her feel better I guess.
:yes1: :yes1: :yes1: :yes1:
Yes sir that's the way we get on and off also. Do it however you wish too.
There's no specific way your suppose to do it, whatever feels good for you ? Go for it.......... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Glad to see that there are at least a couple others that mount/dismount like we do, we had to start doing it this way several years ago after wifes left knee got to where it couldn't lift all her body wheight while getting on/off normaly, and stepping over the passener seat. Just so it clear she's not heavy but has a damaged knee.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,274 Posts
Sid Moen said:
I'm outta here. I saw the title and thought it was a taxidermy thread. :oops:
LOL!!

Well... I read the title... thought it was about...

Nah... nevermind.

:)
Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,321 Posts
Title

Sick puppies :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
zaT111 said:
laen said:
For me ,I AWAYS mount first, kick stand down on left side. Then passenger mounts from left. Dismount, passenger first always from the left side.
To add to the above, the passenger will ALWAYS check with driver to make sure they are ready for them to mount or dismount the bike.

Mount:
1 Driver mounts Wing first

2 With sidestand still down and after passenger checks with Driver

3 Passenger steps with left foot onto passenger left floorboard, swings right leg over seat. Uses drivers shoulder for balance (if required).

Dismount:
1 Bike at stop, sidestand down passenger checks with driver and proceeds when given the ok.

2 Passenger stands up on floorboards, swings right foot over seat to ground.

3 Passenger steps down. Driver then dismounts
This is the way i do it. By getting on first, i have control of the wing in case it rolls off the stand. And that can and has certainly has happened to many. I do understand those with limitations who must use other methods. I, myself, mount from the right side because of a limitation in right leg. What ever works best. Just be aware of the pitfalls.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
605 Posts
Sid Moen said:
I'm outta here. I saw the title and thought it was a taxidermy thread. :oops:
My thoughts were somewhat different :oops: :oops:

Happy New Year

Ride Safe
Dick
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,304 Posts
chuckM said:
zaT111 said:
laen said:
For me ,I AWAYS mount first, kick stand down on left side. Then passenger mounts from left. Dismount, passenger first always from the left side.
To add to the above, the passenger will ALWAYS check with driver to make sure they are ready for them to mount or dismount the bike.

Mount:
1 Driver mounts Wing first

2 With sidestand still down and after passenger checks with Driver

3 Passenger steps with left foot onto passenger left floorboard, swings right leg over seat. Uses drivers shoulder for balance (if required).

Dismount:
1 Bike at stop, sidestand down passenger checks with driver and proceeds when given the ok.

2 Passenger stands up on floorboards, swings right foot over seat to ground.

3 Passenger steps down. Driver then dismounts
+1
+2

This is the method taught in the Co-Rider Class. Works very well!

BAT
 

·
Name Tag Guy
Joined
·
6,130 Posts
GWRR said:
What is the best way to have a passenger who might weigh a fair bit mount the bike?
Except for someone with specific limitations, I think it's interesting that everyone condones having the passenger mount from the left side. If (as some have commented) the passenger mounts first, while the bike is on the sidestand, it's a pretty steep uphill climb.., much like trying to climb up a sheer cliff-face. And then comes the challenge of having to swing a leg UP and over the seat.

Believe it or not, it's MUCH easier to mount from the RIGHT side. with the bike slightly tipped away from you, it's an easier task to step up on the footpeg, swing your LEFT leg over the seat, and let gravity swing your body over and down onto the seat. This also works just as easily if the driver has already mounted the bike.

I'm guessing that most "drivers" here have probably never actually climbed onto a bike as a passenger, so might not fully understand the problems faced by the passenger. Let physics and gravity help your passenger mount the bike, rahter than having them struggle against it.

Try it..., you might like it....
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top