GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 06 Wing into the shop twice now for the rear seat heat. They say they have checked it out completely but can find nothing wrong. The driver seat heat works fine but my wife cannot feel any heat at all on the rear seat, and she is the one most susceptible to the cold. Any ideas, anyone?

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I think they have a temperature limiting thermostat.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
azbob said:
Any ideas, anyone?
Yea, why don't you delete your other two posts with this same title? Just click the X in the upper right corner of your other posts.

Sorry, no ideas about your wife's seat, that just wouldn't be right. :wink:

·
Vendor
22,218 Posts
I think you might be able to modify the circuit so it would provide more heat, but I would need an 06 or 07 to experiment with to see. I suspect adding or subtracting some resistance to the thermistor circuits would be all you need to do, but I would need to test it to see how much to add or take away.

Anybody wanna buy me a new bike so I can look into this?

G

·
Very old story. It is not possible to make everyone happy, no matter what you do.

Sooner or later, someone will complain that the seat gets too hot.

Sorry..no ideas.

Ride safe. Happy Holidays

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
A riding buddy on mine has a 1200 Beemer.. and when we ride when its cold .. if I ride in back of him.. i always smell bacon burning .. :lol:

cosmic

·
Vendor
22,218 Posts
FYI, you are not the only one with this problem. Several folks have complained that the seat doesn't get hot enough, and I think someone mentioned that they may have already made a modification to the controller circuit on the 07's to try to fix this, but I don't know that for a fact.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
azbob said:
I've had my 06 Wing into the shop twice now for the rear seat heat. They say they have checked it out completely but can find nothing wrong. The driver seat heat works fine but my wife cannot feel any heat at all on the rear seat, and she is the one most susceptible to the cold. Any ideas, anyone?
You say, "they can't find nothing wrong". But if it's not heating up, then there's something wrong. Your dealer should look at replacing the seat, harness, or whatever it takes to fix the situation. At least, they should try putting a different seat on, for a test. Perhaps the problem is in the bikes wiring, & not the seat itself. One question for you. Does your wifes backrest warm up, when your seat is turned up? Our's does, & my wife lets me know, if she thinks I've got mine turned up too much. Will be interested in your solution. Hope they get it fixed for you soon. Gotta keep Momma happy. :wink:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
There has been several complaints of the passenger heat controller freezing up.

I think I'd try to bypass that and see what happens.

Supposedly you have to sit in the seat before it will heat up.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
azbob said:
Hey Verdayne,
The passenger seatback does not warm up. I wasn't aware it was supposed to.
Yes it does. It's called the Seat Back Heater. It's connection is behind the trunk inner cover. It's mentioned in ETM 17-10, of the 06 - 07 Service manual.

·
Registered
20 Posts
While at my dealer talking about the same thing, they showed me a service bulleten that said the heat on the seat is controled by the computer taking into account the outside temp. That is why the seat won't get hot in the summer, I was trying to check mine to see if it worked. Also the seat is pressure senstive that turns the heat on, she may not have broked down the seat enough to get it to activate.

Check with you dealer, just to make sure I heard right.

Roger

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
55 degrees and my wife says it doesn't get warm.... 07 Navi.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I do not want to insult anybody but this is our first wing and my wife did not know she had a heater control all her own. :oops:

She thought when I turned my seat heater on hers went on too.

Q

·
Registered
2 Posts
seat heater and grip heater

My 2006 ABS Goldwing ran great for 9,000 miles. The driver seat heater first went oun and the Dealer worked on it and said there was corrosion in a connetion. It worked ok for half a days ride then the seat and grips went and the bikes been at the Dealers for a month now replacing everything. Seat heater relays, now grip heaters, which were on a shortage list. I would imagine there on shortage because many people are having the same trouble. In the mean time, my ride sits all torn apart. Good thing it's winter time in Michigan because I'd be pissed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have an 06' as well...

I have noticed the colder it gets outside, the warmer the seat gets, and likewise when it is warmer the seat seems to hardly get warm at all...

Hardly notice the seat wamer at all until it gets below about 45-50 degrees...

Thanks,
B

·
Registered
199 Posts
Seat Heat

I had trouble on my 06' with my rear seat, then the grips and front seat quit working. I spent much time troubleshooting this system. Here are the facts that I found.

1.) ECM only sends signal voltage to heater control module telling the unit the bike is running, so it can pull in the heater relay. The grips do not have thermistors only the different resistance setting on the switch, this is why they get hot no matter what the ambient temperature. The seat parts have thermistors which have different resistance values depending on the ambient temperature, thus when it is warmer outside it will not allow the elements to heat as much. You must also be pressing against the elements on the seat to feel the heat. It will not get warm if you are not putting pressure against the seat.

2.) There is an 18 pin connector that plugs into the heater control module, located just rear of the battery in front of the rear fender. You need to pull the left saddle back to remove. This module controls all three zone circuits on the bike grips, front seat, rear seat and back rest. My problems were all related to the connector that plugs into the heater control module. If these pins do not make good connection to the module all or some of the zones will not heat. You can remove the pins from the connector and tighten these connections. It is difficult and you need to understand how the connector comes apart and how to release the pins from the connector body. The pins are held in place by molded plastic tabs on the body. If you break any of them, the pins will no longer stay in the connector and it would be difficult to engage the pins to the module. There is no connector available to the dealer to replace. His only option is to replace the entire wire harness, if he cannot repair the connector. I can assure you this is fact. I suppose the dealer could purchase the entire harness and splice in the new connector as a last resort. Seems insane to have to replace the entire harness for a bad connector. Who would allow this to be done on a new bike?

3.) All three circuit are somewhat connected in different ways. If you have plugs not connected it can affect the other zones.

4.) To verify grips you can disconnect from the wire harness and check for continuity to determine if the grips are good or bad. You then check the switch for the different resistance values for each setting. If this check per the manaul, chances are it's in the heater module or associated connector.

5.) The manual gives all the thermistor values for the different ambient temperatures. This allows you to check the seat parts to verify if they are good or bad.

6.) It can be time consuming to properly trace all connections, plugs and continuity of wires in this system. Chances are if the main components test per the manual, then the problem probably exists in the heater control module or the connector that plugs into it. This seams to be the weakest link in the system from my experience. Don't missunderstand that there is always the potential for a broken wire, but I feel base on what I have seen, this is probably a slim chance.

All this information is called out in the service manual. Hope this helps anyone that has been struggling with heating issues.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts