GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a nice, large piece of luggage designed to fit on the passenger seat of my Goldwing. Needs to be water resistant/proof and easy to attach & detach. I need more storage space for an upcoming long distance trip. Suggestions?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I use a large duffle type bag with pockets on the side and ends. I place all my clothes in plastic bags that are designed for squeezing all the air out of them and makes them water proof. These work good as they make more space for other things. Anything else that is not water proof goes in zip lock bags. I sprayed the outside of the nylon bag with scotch guard to help make it water resistant and this works pretty good. I use bungee cords to strap it to the back seat and it stays there good and tight.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a Moto Fizz bag (medium size) and it comes with a rain fly, loops to connect to passenger grab rails and is VERY roomy. Even though I have a trailer now, I still use it. Very handy! :thumbup:

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have a Saddlemen sissy bar bag and a Nelson Rigg sissy bar bag as well. They are pretty easy to bungee or tarp strap them togehter, one on my luggage rack and one on the passenger seat if I'm riding by myself, on my vtx. I would think it would be easy enough to strap one of them on a Wing passenger seat. Both have rain covers, but the Saddlemen bag has its own carrying pocket built into the bag.

·
Registered
271 Posts
BKDraft is correct, those Nelson Rigg products are really designed by somone who knows about bikes.

I bought one from a Honda Dealer. They come with all kinds of gadgets like straps, buckes, tie points, and a rain cover!

Fits right into the back seat of wing. Makes for back rest, and can also be mounted on a cruiser style sissy bar.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Cabela's waterproof duffel bags. Cheap and 100% waterproof! I use two different sizes this one has my whole camp site it. So if it falls off I just have to find a hotel instead.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
+1 on the medium Moto Fizz. It's what I use on both my Wing and my F650 D/S bike.

I have a Moto Fizz bag (medium size) and it comes with a rain fly, loops to connect to passenger grab rails and is VERY roomy. Even though I have a trailer now, I still use it. Very handy! :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,376 Posts
I have a Nelson Rigg soft cooler bag. It can keep drinks cool or double as a clothes bag. Two short bungees hold it from the grab handles

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Nelson Riggs + 1 :thumbup:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have a nelson riggs weekender

it is WATERPROOF

no silly rain covers to mess with

cost about $90

fits exactly on the rear seat

nice tie down straps and metal rings for a lock, or more security straps

holds about 35 # of stuff

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Be sure to get one that allows you to get into and lift the rear trunk door while the luggage is set or you'll forever be moaning and groaning about the hassle you have to go through to access your trunk during your ride. Many are simply too tall and therefore restrict the trunk opening.

A better bet is the Pakit Rak that installs in the rear (or the lower profile bag or luggage - "perhaps" something like the Nelson-Rigg GWR-1000)

DaleC

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the medium (13" x 10" x 16") touring bag by Road Ready

http://www.roadreadybags.com/products/touringrackbags.html

Perfect size for the rear seat and can be strapped to the passenger grab bars by threading a nylon strap through the "D" rings on the top. Held everything I needed for a week long trip to the Keys. No rain cover, but as mentioned earlier the contents can be packed in plastic (if you're planning to ride in the rain). Good quality, made in the USA (PA) and a Lifetime warranty.

Tom

Silver '07

·
Registered
101 Posts
Bass Pro Shops sells a yellow waterproof duffel that comes in three sizes. They are sold in the marine department, I think they are about $25.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I use a large bag designed to be used as a trunk rack bag, and strap it to the handles on the rear seat. (Hal sells them)

·
Registered
905 Posts
Cabela's waterproof duffel bags. Cheap and 100% waterproof! I use two different sizes this one has my whole camp site it. So if it falls off I just have to find a hotel instead.

+1

I put a sheep skin between you and the bag and you have the perfect long distance, waterproof bag .. it's cheap, reliable and efficient !

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
I've been thinking about one of these....
http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=2438&str=4

could use just about any bag and not worry about interference with trunk opening, slipping off seat, bungee cords around the seat or plastic areas, plus it looks cleaner and out of the way....

just a though...course my Bushtec works very well....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts