GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have J & M headsets in both rider and passenger helmets. Have J & M wind noise reduction filter installed for rider and J & M CB transmit button installed for rider. Rider complains that audio volume is not loud enough. If system audio is made louder to meet passenger needs, rider is blasted out of his helmet. Don't see a J & M product to meet the need to boost audio volume for passenger. In fact, other passenger volume controls appear designed to decrease the volume for passenger, not increase it as I need. If a solution is proposed will it work with installed J & M hardware? Thanks,

·
Registered
927 Posts
I solved a similar problem on our 06 GoldWing by installing volume controls for both the rider & passenger. The info for the pot can be found at http://www.intergate.com/~brianb/bike/GL1800_Pass_Control.htm I mounted the rider's volume control in the bottom of the headlight control panel between the headlight height knob & the rear suspension rocker switch. The passenger's volume control & PTT are mounted under the bottom of the right rear 'cubby' hole. Crank the master volume on the audio panel up and then each person sets their own level. The only dislike I have to the potentiometer is that it is too effective. 1/4 turn will bring the volume down to almost nothing. I have searched for a small stereo pot in the 500 ohm range but with no luck. This set-up works just fine as long as you are carefull to turn the control just a little at a time. We use the EDSet headsets but this should work with any headset.
Ride Safe
Ken

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Passenger volumne control

Try "now hear this". They sell a number of different kits for this purpose.
I bought one for my autocom application.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Another thought from one of the "I-Have" sect:

If you have a standard 3.5mm (1/8") plug to use you might consider something like I hav-- that I am proud to possess -- a Mix-It2 amplifier/mixer. It will boost the signal 25 decibels (17.8 x the signal already present). Now, this is probably NOT for your particular application but I just present it to think "out of the box" a little. Rest assured there's a perfect solution for you out there. Best of luck!

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
if you haven't done so,make sure the speakers are as close to her ears as possible.A small distance from the ears can cause a big difference in volume and sound quality

·
Registered
85 Posts
Another option would be to to get an in line volume control for yourself. Turn the bike's audio up to your passengers satisfaction and then turn your volume down.

Good luck - will

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks will. I have been in touch with J&M and I think that is what they are going to suggest. Do you know of such a product?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've seen some made by various vendors, like Air Rider (probably the one I would get), Show Chrome, and Big Bike Parts (which you can get from HDL, the sponsor of this board). If you do a serach (using the little magnifying glass icon on the top of each page) on "Passenger Volume Control", you will get quite a few posts on the subject.

Will

1 - 9 of 9 Posts